Start by marking “Be Pretty, Get Married, and Always Drink TaB: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Be Pretty, Get Married, and Always Drink TaB: A Memoir

Be Pretty, Get Married, and Always Drink TaB: A Memoir

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
According to her colorful Mami Dearest, the life of young Gigi Anders will be simple if she can remember three maxims—be pretty, get married, and always drink TaB. Thus begins her instruction in the art of being a lady and the side effects of falling in love.

As the granddaughter of Eastern European and Russian shtetl-reared grandparents who immigrated as teenagers in the e
Published October 24th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Be Pretty, Get Married, and Always Drink TaB, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Pretty, Get Married, and Always Drink TaB

Rachel Berger
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugg the mother's voice was written with all of the words phonetically spelled with her accent. Very difficult to read and really ruined the story for me.
Marsha
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gigi Anders, née Beatriz Anders Benes (but that is wrong), has led a frenetic life filled with glitter, glamor, delusion, angst and spicy Cuban food. Exiled at a tender age from her beloved Cuba, she grew up with a resigned father, a fabulous and emotionally remote mother and the sense that she was destined to become something other than a mere married Jubana (Jewish Cuban Princess).

Sometimes funny, sometimes sad (but not excessively so; there’s no problem in the world that can’t be solved with
Mo
May 02, 2007 rated it liked it
A memoir by a truly rare breed, a Jewish Cuban (aka "Juban"). This book brought back a lot of great childhood memories for me and I could totally relate to so many parts of it. I loved how her mom just was wildly cursing throughout the whole book---it reminded me of my abuelita...I still have no idea how you would get around the whole pork issue, though.
Marie
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because I could so clearly hear the voices of the family. She writes so with such a vivid quality! Some parts were truly laugh out loud funny -- a real treat for sure. I look forward to reading her other books at some point.
Megs
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those in love with fasion
Shelves: chicklit
Gig Anders is a woman after my own heart. Each chapter chronicles a different pair of clothing, accessory, or makeup that defined a certain relationship in her life. With a wonderful ending you will for sure pass it on to those that understand fashion
Perkimom
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Looked light and funny--started out hilariouos--became tedious. Fun to hear the mama's Jubana accent in your head whn you are reading her part.
Beth Ely
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I was amused by the title...I'm a Tab addict, too! Didn't have any expectations for it being a good book... As it turned out, it was a good read!
Dina Marie Gangale
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
VERY FUNNY!!
Heather
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Could have used more plot, but as always I love spanglish and want some cuban food. I had no idea there were jubanas. Wierd. I might want some tab too, what does it taste like I can't recall. Hmm.
Elizabeth
Sep 20, 2008 is currently reading it
Shelves: biosmemoirs
I'm having a little trouble getting through this book, it repeats itself a lot and I find myself getting irritated with it. I might come back to it at some point.
Tara  Rugg