Start by marking “Pomegranate Roads: A Soviet Botanist's Exile from Eden” as Want to Read:
Pomegranate Roads: A Soviet Botanist's Exile from Eden

Pomegranate Roads: A Soviet Botanist's Exile from Eden

Published November 30th 2006 by Floreant Pr

To ask other readers questions about Pomegranate Roads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pomegranate Roads

Philip
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Not the easiest read, but a fascinating story for those with a passion for fruit and germplasm. Half scholarly text on pomegranate, half life story. Translated from Russian and so a tad clunky here and there, but the passion is honest and real, and it's hard not to feel emotionally connect with the pomegranate yourself by the time you get done.
Barbara
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I agree with Phillip's review--that "Pomegranate Roads: A Soviet Botanist's Exile from Eden" by Dr. Gregry Levin, Floreant Press 2006, does read somewhat awkwardly in places, but also that it's well worth reading for the great saga of Dr. Levin's life and his pursuit of pomegranates. Dr. Levin is one of true field botanists who remain. Most botanists spend their time in labs studying genetic material under a microscope, but Dr. Levin, during his 40 years trekking in Central Asia and bringing his ...more
Meaghan
This book would probably be fascinating to someone who was interested in pomegranates. The author is passionate about them and describes them in great detail. He collected 1,117 varieties, often risking his life to do so. I don't care one whit about pomegranates, but I'm trying to read one book set in every country in the world and this was the one I found for Turkmenistan. I now know more about the pomegranate than I ever wanted to know.

For those who are not botanically inclined, this book stil
Panayoti Kelaidis
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am not crazy about the taste of pomegranate, although after zipping through this book, I may be tempted to try them again...there is nothing like the passion of a specialist and a scientist to spark an interest. This book was obviously written in haste: it's a bit slap dash--probably because the author didn't want to put a great deal of time or effort in what could be yet another disappointment. Despite the translators bungling the occasional scientific term or concept--the drive,the commitmen ...more
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: botanists, pomegranate enthusiasts, ecologists
Shelves: favorites
This was a lovely book about a subject I hold dear to my heart. I have always loved pomegranates. And I love botany, so this memoir piqued my interest.

The writing is a little stilted, but this can be expected from a translation. The review of the subject is complete, but can be confusing as it jumps around. The locations most discussed are in the northern Middle East (or, the southern former Soviet-Asian) and are also somewhat confusing, even with the maps provided.

But you can tell the author, D
Teresa
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoy books of botany and exploration, and loved this book. The author spent years of his life traveling through remote lands of central and western Asia, discovering wild varieties of pomegranate. He brought cuttings back to his agricultural institute and cultivated 1,117 varieties of pomegranates. Probably very few westerners (myself included) ever realized that the breakup of the Soviet Union would lead to the demise of remote agricultural research stations as the newly-formed governments o ...more
Therese
May 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, plants
Odd little book, a very personal memoir which would have benefited from some kind of editing. On the other hand, the way the author flits about in his memory makes it feel as though you're sitting having a coffee with him, not reading a book. His Soviet scientist's perspective is interesting, and the part of the world he's describing is too.
gretl glick