Jump to ratings and reviews

Gator Bait MC #3

Cute But Psycho

He claws his life back from his brother-in-law who’d taken over his business during the years he’d spent as an inmate at Huntsville Penitentiary. Though it is hard, he puts his life back together in Accident, Florida.

Seems like the perfect life, right?

Wrong.

Because one of his first clients is a beautiful, curly-haired woman that reels him in from the moment he first lays eyes on her. Only, before he can work his charm, she forms an opinion of him based solely on the person that he chose to work at his side, day in and day out. That opinion? Utter disgust.

***

Matilda Deveraux has been dealt blow after blow her entire life.

First with the death of her mom. Then living with a stepfamily that despises her.

Her entire life she’s been known as different. The “weird girl that creeps everyone out.”

It’s not her fault that she’s different, yet everyone, including Etienne’s assistant, treats her like she’s a menace to society.

As a result, she forms an opinion—something that people do to her all the time—and treats him accordingly.
Only, it turns out that Etienne isn’t who she thought he was.

He’s much, much worse. But only in the best of ways.

241 pages, Kindle Edition

First published January 17, 2023

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lani Lynn Vale

123 books6,638 followers
Lani Lynn Vale is married to the love of her life that she met in high school. She fell in love with him because he was wearing baseball pants. Ten years later they have three perfectly crazy children and a cat named Demon who likes to wake her up at ungodly times in the night. They live in the greatest state in the world, Texas. She writes contemporary and romantic suspense, and has a love for all things romance. You can find Lani in front of her computer writing away in her fictional characters world...that is until her husband and kids demand sustenance in the form of food and drink.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
16 (1%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 132 reviews
Profile Image for Natalie  ~ The Biblioholic.
2,472 reviews1,205 followers
January 17, 2023
Matilda was a doormat her whole life and she was just about done. Done with letting people take advantage of her. Done with allowing people to walk all over her. Just done. If only her family would get the memo.

The attraction between Etienne and Mattie was instantaneous, however, his assistant was a problem. She lived to make Mattie miserable and she refused to associate with someone who associated with someone so hateful. Good for her!

When the problem is solved, will Mattie get out of her own way and give Etienne a chance?

I really enjoyed this story. The brotherhood that exists between the men of this series is so special. I love the way they interact with each other. Matilda had her quirks, but she fit and I think she was great for Etienne. He deserved a happy ending and she gave him an amazing one.
Profile Image for Gi's Spot Reviews.
1,073 reviews1,150 followers
4.25  'Like Finally Coming Home' Stars

My, oh my... How these two stole my heart! Etienne and Matilda's love story is quite a tale... Sweet, steamy, funny and with the perfect amount of suspense, Cute but Psycho - love the title, by the way - hit just the right spot for this beginning of 2023. We are off to a great start!

Meeting immediately after Etienne's release from jail - like all the other Gator Bait MC members, he was in prison for fighting for someone else, for being on the 'good' side of justice - these two were instantly intrigued by one another. Matilda, being the product of an affair, has had a tough time in life, specially after her mom passed and  she had to go  live and be part of her father's family, and let me tell you, what an awful family it is! Adding to that being neurodivergent, she keeps much to herself, distant from all others, apart from everyone but her best friend ad business partner, Diana. She has always felt on the outside and never truly loved... That quickly changes after they get together, because not only is Etienne fully devoted to her, but she gains a new family in all of Etienne's MC brothers and their partners.

I didn’t want to be anyone’s responsibility.
I wanted to be their passion. Their first choice. Their main reason for breathing.

She’s mine to take care of now. She’s mine to protect. She’s mine to make sure she doesn’t get manipulated by you again.

Etienne made me swoon, HARD! The way he cared and loved Matilda, that he not only respected her quirks and mannerisms but supported and was always there for her, WOW... Absolutely impossible to resist, and trying she did, lol.

These guys, Gator Bait MC, really are something else! With each book I'm left thrilled, and psyched for more. With all the hints we got from Cassius and Alice, oh boy, are we in for a treat, and I can't freaking wait!!!!

"All your quirks. All your kisses. All your Sunday morning snuggles. I want them all. And I want it in the most permanent way possible.”

It felt like finally coming home.

ARC kindly provided by the author for an honest review
Profile Image for Tessa.
157 reviews7 followers
loved the H

I get what the author was trying to do here with the autism/Asperger’s aspect. I just think she failed at it. I also think I’ve outgrown LLV. Heroines with tiny boobs and manho men.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Darcy.
12.1k reviews416 followers
January 20, 2023
This one was interesting as the couple didn't really spark right away, like the author normally does. Instead it took a while for Etienne to pull his head out of his ass and see what was right in front of him with Mattie. I loved Mattie from the start, she definitely marched to the beat of her own drummer, was aware of that and didn't let it stop her. I hated her family, was so glad when Etienne helped there and was happy when karma came for a visit! It was fun to see these 2 bluff each other as their relationship got more serious. The ending was great! Loved how they made their special day what they wanted and how they adjusted their life plan when needed.
Profile Image for Read All About It.
1,296 reviews24 followers
January 17, 2023
This has to be my favorite series by LLV and that’s saying something.

Etienne LaFayette just got out of prison and decides to start his new life in Accident, Florida where his friends have also started over.

I’m both hellfire and holy water. What you get depends on how you treat me.

Mattie Deveraux is different than other people. She has been ostracized and taken advantage of her whole life. Her family being the worst offenders.

“You want me to wear your name on my back, you’re gonna have to put a ring on my finger first.”

“You askin’ me to marry you, baby?” I asked, her eyes gleaming.

“Yes. As a matter of fact, I am asking you to marry me. Etienne? Would you do me the honor of becoming my husband?”

“Yes,” I answered. “I think I will.”

I love how Etienne was so protective of Matilda. He loved her even with all her quirky ways. Lots of fun alone with a love story that is unique.
Profile Image for Jody.
1,978 reviews43 followers
January 18, 2023
Lani Lynn Vale has done it again! With the release of this third installment in the Gator Bait MC series Ms. Vale has crafted a story with a larger than life main couple who are perfectly imperfect...both as a couple and as individuals. They may start out as enemies due to a misunderstanding but once they commit to each other they're all in with a connection that sizzles. Add in outside drama courtesy of toxic families and you end up with an intensely emotional story that I'm still thinking of in a sweet and sexy, fun and flirty, tale of starting over and being your own person.

Etienne LaFayette is getting back into the groove of living free after getting out of prison. He joined an MC and regained his business, becoming extremely successful in the process. It's his business where he comes into contact with the unforgettable Mattie, changing his life irrevocably as he works to win her over. Etienne's a delicious hero, one of many in this series. He's protective and caring and dismayed by Mattie's dislike of him at the very start. Once he discovers the reasons for her dislike though he goes out of his way to prove himself to her in a truly charming journey that's heartwarming and humorous.

Mattie Deveraux's a quirky heroine, an unforgettable one that Ms. Vale is a master at creating. Her family has done nothing but torment her her whole life for being different, used her to get what they want, all while treating her as a pariah. When she discovers one of her worst tormentors working for the sexy Etienne she gives him the cold shoulder, despite being attracted to him. The minute he discovers how badly Mattie's been hurt by those supposed to protect her though, Etienne goes out of his way to show Mattie just how special she is. Thus starts their sizzling romance, a romance full of heart and soul, that I was utterly captivated by as it was a slow and steady journey to trustworthiness that was vital to Mattie. Through every hurt she experienced Mattie just kept going, never being defeated by the painful words and deeds, just got stronger. On a whole she's strong-willed, comfortable in her own skin, and a truly loving and caring heroine who's a perfect match for Etienne.

From the first page to the last this was a flawless story of two people seen as pariahs finding their place in the world, finding a home in each other's arms. Their romance was perfectly imperfect as there were no judgments between them...there was just love and acceptance. There were sizzling scenes balanced with loving and heartwarming moments along with bits of humor to pull readers into their pairing. By the turn of the final page, readers will find this an epic romance with characters who are different but utterly likable and compelling. This series continues to be masterful with its unforgettable characters, and richly rewarding romance, and I look forward to seeing where Ms. Vale takes us next!
Profile Image for The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha).
1,821 reviews301 followers
January 17, 2023

Cute but Psycho is my first 5 star read of 2023! I just LOVED Matlida. She is quirky and strange, but very loyal and kind. I also loved the portrayal of the "mean girl" in this one. Other people think she is so nice and would never do anything out right rude, but she was a bully behind their backs. I think this type of person is so common as adults.

Both Etienne and Matilda have the worst families. They have grown up with some serious toxicity. Both families treat "differences" as abhorrent; it is really offensive. However, sadly, it happens. Sometimes families aren't willing to accept their family member is neurodivergent. Fighting for his nephew is why Etienne landed in jail. So, all the drama and tension in the story comes from the family and the bully. Etienne and Matilda have a slow build to their relationship, but once they decide to give in to their feelings, things move FAST.

I am really loving the Gator Bait MC books and Cute but Psycho is already one of my favorite reads!

POV: dual 1st
  Tears: a few
  Trope: opposites attract, dysfunctional family, MC club
  Triggers:
  Series/Standalone: stand alone within an interconnected series
  Cliffhanger:
  HEA:

Until Willow by Aurora Rose Reynolds, Dream Keeper by Kristen Ashley, Trusting the Badge by Dorothy Shaw...then you will probably like Cute But Psycho!

Cute But Psycho
ibooks-icon amazon-icon-star

gator bait MC

See full review on The Book Disciple
January 2, 2023
Free and restarting his life, Etienne LaFayette has successfully taken his construction business back and joined a motorcycle club with the men he became friends with while in prison. He’s ready and willing to work hard to put the past behind him. But, the one woman he’s interested in has taken an almost instant dislike to him . . . and he isn’t sure why.

Mattie Deveraux has dealt with people, including her own family, treating her badly all of her life. While she knows she is different, that doesn't mean she should be treated as an outcast, or even worse. And, when Mattie realizes one of her biggest tormentors works as Etienne’s assistant, she thinks she knows everything she needs to know about him.

But she is oh so wrong!

My first read of 2023, Cute But Psycho started the new year off with a real bang! Etienne is everything you don’t expect him to be, and I loved it. And I adored how quickly he learned and appreciated Mattie’s quirks. And, Mattie . . this girl was everything! The drama she has had to deal with is unbelievable, but she just keeps on moving forward and trying to do her thing. She doesn’t trust easily, but when she lets you in, it’s amazing. I really enjoyed their banter and how they quickly fell into being together. They are really something special together.

Cute But Psycho has some really fun drama to it . . . and, karma really gets to shine in this book - it’s as phenomenal as it is just wrong and funny . . .and so Lani Lynn Vale! Super fun, super flirty, hot as can be with the perfect amount of drama and all the feels. 5 stars!
Profile Image for Joelle.
1,277 reviews17 followers
January 9, 2023
What a great story that made you laugh. Ms. Vale has a knack for creating characters that are not so perfect and have quirks of their own, and it seems nobody wants to take a chance on them until the one arrives, and then it is all she wrote.

Loved Matilda just the way she is, and we think she deals with her quirks just fine on her own even embraces them, we also loved how fiercely independent she was. Once Étienne entered her life, she just shined even more, and she could just be herself whenever in his presence and company, and we loved that the most. What a sweetheart.

Étienne knows what he wants, and he knows patience will win what he wants most out of life. Loved the unusual courtship between Matilda and himself, it was a lot of fun to watch. We loved the fact that he treated Matilda as the treasure she was.

Matilda was resilient, and we loved that about her even with the life she led to this point she never changed the person she was on the inside even though she never fit in even with the hard knocks she took growing up she remained a beautiful loving and caring person. Loved the fact that horrible family never bested her in that regard.

Overall, a fun read that was filled with emotion and betrayals and love. Just another couple of characters that were meant to be together and will not be forgotten as the where unforgettable characters in my book. Well done!
Profile Image for Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’.
2,833 reviews2 followers
January 18, 2023
So far there are 3books published in this series. And I cant make up my mind who I like more, for now it is definitely Etienne LaFayette 😊

I freaking loved this story. I loved that Matilda was a ‘weird’ girl. I loved that she marched to her own drum. She was honest, straightforward and didn’t take crap from anyone. The only people who could get under her skin was her family. And man I wanted to give them a piece of my mind. Horrible freaking stepmother, but I blame the father.

Etienne just took her as she was. He didn’t make excuses for her, he was her biggest fan. He stood up for her, didn’t let people take advantage of her and let her just be herself. Loved this hero 😊

All in all this was an awesome story. Loved it from start to finish. Was sad when I got to the end, but definitely cant wait for the next one 😊 This author definitely knows how to get your attention and keep it throughout a book. Funny, lots of amazing chemistry, awesome banter, and throw in some suspense to keep you going…My kind of story 😊

Read on behalf of
Fay’s Corner
Profile Image for Kari Hansen.
8,734 reviews49 followers
January 8, 2023
Etienne found himself in prison for protecting the one person he cared the most about. An early release has given him a second chance so he relocates himself and his family construction business to Florida. One of his jobs is renovating a vet clinic for Mattie however he is baffled to understand what has made her so angry with him.

Mattie is a woman who has had to fight for everything she has achieved as her family only cares about what they can get from her and very few people can relate to her. She is determined to dislike him, but he appreciates her for the special woman she is.

When it comes to Mattie she is vocal about her thoughts and feelings which only adds to her appeal which Etienne is both protective and understanding. The banter between them is witty and the chemistry is intense as they find their perfect match in each other.
Profile Image for 2OCC Reviews.
3,428 reviews238 followers
January 1, 2023
So cute! I loved the dynamic between Etienne and Matilda. She was quirky and just an overall awesome heroine that didn’t have a filter. Etienne was funny and sweet and really down to earth and I loved how according he was of her. I always love when family sucks on romance novels. I love seeing the characters stuck up for them selves and that’s what Mattie did even if it didn’t get her anywhere most of the time. Gator Bait MC is becoming one of my favorite series by this author and I can’t wait for more! I’m sure we know who will get a story in Annoyed At First Sight (the next book) and I can’t wait! 4.5 stars.
Profile Image for Marie.
2,571 reviews20 followers
January 17, 2023
Always on the outside looking in!

Mattie and Etienne are hilarious, both from dysfunctional families they have a whole host of issues but honestly with the families they have I am surprised they are sane! Once again the Gator Bait family rally to not only protect their own, but to also welcome and protect the newcomers too... whether they like it or not!
Profile Image for Alicia.
286 reviews9 followers
January 17, 2023
Cute But a Psycho is by far my favorite of the Gator MC series. Etienne and Mattie definitely did not have an easy life. And their beginning wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows BUT when they came together it was magical. They are truly a perfect match. I don’t know how LLV well will be able to top these two but I can’t wait for more from this series.
Profile Image for Vfc.
1,407 reviews
January 21, 2023
Etienne LaFayette has been granted an early release from prison, incarcerated for defending his nephew, who is on the spectrum. He innocently told a lady that he liked her shirt. He really, really liked her shirt, reaching over to touch it, only the shoulder. She went home and told her husband. They decided to teach him a lesson by beating him. Almost to death. Then to toss him in a lake when they thought he was dead. When he found out, he did what any sane uncle would do. He snapped their necks.
(Matilda wishes someone had been an advocate for her).

… he joins his friends, the men he became friends with whilst in prison. and joins their MC.

… reclaiming control of his construction business from his brother-in-law. The company would be led by a LaFayette…and he was moving them to Accident, Florida. His crew would either join him or they’d be replaced.

“Matilda Jane, why is your bank account overdrawn again?”
“I don’t know”.
“Well, maybe you should pay more attention, so I don’t have to keep paying these overdraft fees,” he growled.
Okay, so I did this a lot. As in, at least once a month.
But it wasn’t my fault that his wife was a cow and pulled money out of my account. I knew that he knew his wife was doing it, yet he always called and yelled at me like I had any control over it.
“Well maybe you should tell your f-g wife to stop taking money out of my account when she needs some for her or her kids, I can’t even pay bills out of that account.
I had to open a new one, and get a part-time job, to make sure that I had enough money in my account to pay for my electricity bill. Even though, I’d like to point out, that the money that she’s taking out of my account is mine.”
“I’ll talk to her.”
Eight years ago, my grandmother had died, and my grandfather had decided to divide their money up before his death. I’d been left with a sizable trust. That trust dumped into the account that my stepmother always stole from. At one point in time, I’d made a big deal of it. I’d screamed, cursed, and threw a fit.
When she’d visited a lawyer, they said that there wasn’t anything that could be done because the Deverauxs owned every thing.
Every lawyer she spoke with, would not oppose the Deveraux family.
Leaving her with nothing.

Mattie has sensory issues.
“Matilda Jane,” her stepmother Judy Elizabeth answered.
“What can I do for you?”
“My father called and yelled at me about my bank account being overdrawn today. Yesterday it had over ten thousand dollars in it. And today, it had nothing. Do you know what happened?”
There was silence from Etienne and Diana.
“Your brother, Garth, needed a little extra, and you were the only one that had it at that moment in time. I’ll have Garth replace it the moment that he has it to spare”.
Meaning, never.
“Well, there was an overdraft fee of two hundred dollars. Do you think, possibly, he could spare that?” I asked, already knowing the answer. “So it’s at least zeroed out?”
“No, dear, sorry.”
“We’re building a new clinic in town, I was wondering if I could have access to my trust fund from Daddy, the one that I’m supposed to get this year, early.”
“That’s out of the question, we’re in the process of getting that reversed, anyway. It’s frozen.”
“I thought that the trust fund was mine, legally, due to my last name, Grandpa Eric left it to me.”
“He did, but you know how Garth needs it more.”
“Does he? Why?”
“Because, you know. He’s just so delicate,” she lied.
He was not delicate. He was the devil himself.
“Because he needs the money now more than ever. He has children on the way. And Grandpa Eric isn’t cooperating. So we’re having to go through the courts.”
“Well, that’s unfortunate. But last time this happened, it was denied. And there’re “there’re only eight months to go for you to fix this ‘mistake.’”
“I know, we have a lawyer working double time, anyway, hope to not see you at Sunday’s dinner.” Then she hung up.

When she gave Etienne her address to pick Hairy up, he showed up with Ellen in tow.
She knew then, after seeing her at her doorstep, that it was time to quit.
Who needs to eat anyhow?
• • •
Six months later

She’d met Etienne six months ago, as her best friend Diana and herself were using him to build their building. Six months ago when he’d gotten back home, he’d come to pick up his cat with a girl in tow.
A girl that she loathes.
A girl that had gone out of her way to make her life a misery every day.
The first time she’d seen her with Etienne, she’d been hurt.
Because she’d liked him.

Matilda has been made to feel insignificant all her life. Everyone but her best friend thinks she’s a misfit. When she initially meets Etienne she is drawn to him but when next she sees him, he is with Ellen, her biggest tormentor. Ellen is now Etienne’s assistant, assuming the worst (guilt by association) she judges him harshly.

Ellen has always gone out of her way to make Mattie miserable. She went to college with them but had to withdraw from the programme because of her poor grades. When she heard that Matilda received accommodations due to her “needs”—she was livid because she believed she was also entitled to accommodations.

Etienne has found a new lease on life from his early release so he relocates himself and his family construction business to Florida. He’s contracted to renovate a veterinarian clinic for Mattie and Diana, however he is baffled by her instant dislike of him. The one woman Etienne’s interested in, has taken an instant dislike to him . . . for whatever reason. Matilda has dealt with people, including her own family, treating her as an outcast.

There is an instant attraction between them but when he hires Mattie’s tormentor (unbeknownst to him) she immediately distances herself. When he realises the interaction between Mattie, his assistant & her family, he sets out to right her wrongs and to claim her as his.

Mattie has always had to fight for everything she has, as her family cares nothing about her except what they can extract from her bank account.

Excerpt
Etienne
“You know, when our babies are born, you’re not going to get to come around and see them because you’ve never put her first,” I called to her dad.
“Babies?” Ladd asked.
“Not quite yet,” I said. “But when I get her to see what she has in front of her face? Yeah, we’ll have ’em. Lots of ’em.”
Ladd’s shoulders slumped. “I didn’t realize…”
“You did realize,” I corrected him. “You just didn’t want to do anything about it to rock the boat even more. Two wrongs don’t make a right here. Two wrongs are two wrongs. And you’re making one of those wrongs worse and worse every single day.”
Ladd’s head dropped, and I didn’t even feel bad.
I felt like Ladd deserved to feel like a pile of sh*t.
That woman in there had felt like she was second-rate goods for way too long.
Not anymore. Not on my watch.
I may not be the best man, or the best human being, but I’d always put her first.
From now on, that was my first priority.

“Come back when you want to spend time with her,” I called to him. “She’ll welcome you any time.”
I had no doubt about that.
People could sh*t on her, again and again, and she’d always have a second chance for them.
Her earlier words, though.
You should’ve worried about me ten years ago when I was struggling to find reasons to live.
God, had she really felt like that?
That sort of, kind of, maybe a lot, made me hate the man that was walking away.
For anyone to feel like that was a tragedy.
For her to feel like that…
It made me enraged”.
Profile Image for Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog).
4,904 reviews153 followers

Amazon / Apple / Nook / Kobo

Matilda (Mattie) has a toxic family who have never seen her "different" qualities for the amazing traits that they are. She's tell it like it is, straightforward and refreshingly candid, with everyone. She honestly figures she'll never find a man capable of loving her the way she is, so why bother trying? Then Etienne stumbles into her life and sees her, sees her for the awesome person she is.

Etienne's out of prison and is taking his life back. He's taken his company back from his stupid brother-in-law, he's got his nephew, and now he's met the perfect woman for him. If only Matilda would give him the time of day, would realize he's not the jerk she thinks he is. Then his new life would be just about perfect. Oh and if he could rid himself of his own toxic family, that'd be nice too.

There's something to be said for a character who is so straightforward, isn't artificial or pretentious in any way. Matilda is this character. She's awesome, truly the star of her own story. Her life had been horrid thanks to her awful family, but she didn't let it or them get her down, she just did her thing, kept chugging along, being her badass, quirky self. It makes sense then that Lani gave her an equally amazing guy to love her, be brought to his knees by her, to see her for her true self. Etienne's crew is along for the ride, making me very eager for the next story, Annoyed At First Sight.

ARC provided by Uplifting Author Services for an honest review.

Review / Release Blitz: Live Through Books Blog.

Blog | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Bookbub
Profile Image for Renee.
3,346 reviews35 followers
January 17, 2023

Etienne LaFayette hits the ground running the moment he breathes free air after being paroled from a maximum-security prison in Texas. He claws his life back from his brother-in-law who'd taken over his business during the years he'd spent as an inmate at Huntsville Penitentiary. Though it is hard, he puts his life back together in Accident, Florida. There, he hires new employees, joins a motorcycle club, and becomes wildly successful overnight. Seems like the perfect life right? Wrong. Because one of his first clients is a beautiful, curly-haired woman that reels him in from the moment he first lays eyes on her. Only, before he can work his charm, she forms an opinion of him based solely on the person that he chose to work at his side, day in and day out. That opinion? Utter disguise.
Matilda Deveraux has been dealt blow after blow her entire life. First with the death of her mom. Then living with a step-family that despises her. Her entire life she's been known as different. The "weird girl that creeps everyone out." It's not her fault that she's different, yet everyone, including Etienne's assistant, treats her like she's a menace to society. Like she would be better off in a loony bin than gracing the streets of Accident, Florida. After years of abuse from everyone around her, the last thing she needs is to be around a man that would have that horrible woman around him twenty-four seven. After years of abuse from everyone around her, the last thing she needs is to be around a man that would have that horrible woman around him twenty-four seven. As a result, she forms an opinion-something that people do to her all the time-and treats him accordingly. Only, it turns out that Etienne isn't who she thought he was. He's much, much worse. But only in the best of ways.

Etienne LaFayette just got out of prison and he has decided that he is going to start his life over in Accident, Florida. He has friends there that have also started over there. He has taken his construction business back and has joined a motorcycle club with the men he became friends with when he was in prison. The past will be well and gone before he even knows it due to all his determination and hard work.. Mattie Deveraux has been an outcast her entire life. Things have happened to her that would give others nightmares. Even her own family treated her horribly and while she is fine with being different she doesn't really think that people have the right to treat her as they do. Yes she is different and that is fine. Aren't we all different in our own ways. Etienne really takes a liking to her and when she wants nothing to do with her. She is convinced that his assistant is the bane of her existence. She thinks because of that that she knows everything that she needs to know about him. However, everyone is guilty of judging a book by its cover but she is hard core in her judgement of him. Until she isn't and the sparks start flying all over the place. Etienne is awesome and so much more than anyone bargains for including us as readers. I just loved him. He quickly learned a lot about Mattie and her quirks and he grew to appreciate them. Mattie is just an awesome character. She deals with a heck of a lot that she shouldn't have to. Lets it roll off her and keeps her life moving in the direction she wants it to go. Together these two are pure magic. You are going to love this book. Don't miss it.
Profile Image for Kodie Mackay.
961 reviews55 followers
January 4, 2023
I'm mean we all know I'm a biased bitch when is comes to Lani and her books. They just are it for me. But this one is extra spectacular. So fucking delicious but also absolutely hilarious.

Matilda aka Mattie is something special. She's has quirks that give her that one of a kind personality I love so much and she's refreshingly blunt in a way most people cant handle but that I loved. She is also so sweet and just kept getting shovelled shit and even when she had every right to absolutely throw down, she didn't. She kept her shit and held her head high despite everyone telling her there was something wrong with her and that she was the problem. She wasn't. I want me a Mattie. Also she's very relatable to me as I have huge sensory compulsions that have me feeling everything, including the clothing people are wearing. It's not even funny how hard it is to not touch something you so badly need to know what it feels like. I loved her.

Etienne is just the best. A big brooding protector that goes with the flow and relies on no one. I loved how supportive he was of Mattie and, how far he was willing to go for her. Also, the fact he didn't bat an eye at her antics. Hero. He had the patience of a saint and the tolerance. He also was just super loving to her and those he cared for which was unexpected but so welcomed. Perfection. Even when soft bahahaha. Squishy penis had me dead.

I truly haven't loved a couple like I love these two, for a hot minute. Like the kind of couple where they can be the absolute strangest and most terrifying side of there self and the other person doesn't even bat an eye lid. Like its the most normal thing in the world for a Donkey to be riding a motorbike and shit. God I loved them. They just got and accepted, no scratch that.. welcomed every part of each other and I just cannot with it. The chemistry and connection is just the perfect blend of sexual tension and hilariously outrages shenanigans. Them getting to know one another was everything.

Then we have the side characters. I love them all. HARD. This series is shaping to be one of my absolute favourites of hers. The braiding scene in the bar was pure perfection, I swooned. I love the dynamics between them all. The teasing, the bitching, the family vibe you get that's pure love even when they don't like each other.
Great side characters make a story for me and this gave me it all and then some.

I'm so sad I've finished. This is the kind of book that I want to read all over again for the first time and feel all the feels. SO FUCKING GOOD.

Now bring on Annoyed At First Sight.

Profile Image for Storied Conversation.
375 reviews579 followers
January 17, 2023
Matilda is by far my favorite heroine of this series yet! She is quirky and a little syringe and honestly she’s my tribe! Sometimes we weirdos have to stick together and I loved how she was written.

The other well written character was the mean girl. Not since Brielle has there been one that I loved to hate. She was so nice to everyone else but such a *itch and a bully when they weren’t looking. When Etienne finally saw her true colors I shouted for joy.

Now on to their families who were awful. I do think that Etienne’s weren’t as bad as Matilda’s although they were pretty bad. I mean he went to prison for fighting for his nephew. Why was his parents not fighting for him? His sister and brother-in-law really got on my nerves. I needed someone to punch them in the face.

Etienne’s nephew was great though. I loved him and Matilda understood him right away. I loved the relationship they built. Now Matilda’s stepmother and half brothers were beyond horrible.

Etienne and Matilda start off rather rocky thanks to outside forces but once they decide to move forward with their feelings and relationship things happen pretty quickly. It’s like that once they acknowledge things they don’t let anything get in their way. I adored how protective Etienne was. He decided no one was going to treat her the way her family did ever again.

I do want to mention the elephant was a nice touch! No, I won’t explain more because you honestly have to read the book to get the full experience of it but it was certainly not anything I saw coming. I laughed so hard during all of it I fell off the bed.

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. This review was originally posted on Storied Conversation
Profile Image for Sharon Moritz-rosenthal.
1,886 reviews17 followers
January 6, 2023
I received a complimentary early release e-book prior to release and am voluntarily leaving a review.

This story was really a fun book and nothing terrible happens in it. In recent books the author has had a few surprises and well they were a bit hardcore. This story has none of that and it was a great way for the author to have her first release of 2023. This reminded me of the Lani stories in the past where its all about the characters and their pasts as they go into the future. There is no torture or kidnappings or deaths as the story is happening.

This is purely a boy meets girl and they are both very quirky with soft hearts and they lust for each other as they get to know each other. I totally loved it and I felt based on the authors previous books its fairly a light read. I loved it so much.

In this story we meet Etienne who has had a rough past. He is newly out of jail and has a construction company and is new in town. He gets to know Matilda or Mattie as she and her partner build their Vet practice. Mattie is very much quirky and, on the spectrum, but is very high functioning.

Trouble comes when Etienne hires a woman that HATES Mattie and makes her life miserable. Etienne likes Mattie but she avoids him like the plague because of his sidekick.

This was a really fun story with a hate to love sorta storyline with lots of quirky characters, and some extremely hot scenes. It was pure fun and I absolutely adored this book from beginning to end.
256 reviews1 follower
January 28, 2023
I liked this book too! I am so excited that I like this new batch of Lani Lynn Vale books. I think that I liked the previous one better but I still really liked this one.

Matilda is neurodivergent and she has been treated poorly her entire life. Etienne and Matilda have a connection but when Matilda finds out that he associates with a woman who has made her life hell, she pulls away. Etienne can’t figure out why Matilda is ignoring him but he still can’t get enough of her presence. He knows that he has to make Matilda his.

I really liked Matilda as a character. I don’t know about the experiences of people who are neurodivergent but I really enjoyed the portrayal of Matilda. I can not speak to the accuracy but I always really like that Lani Lynn Vale’s couples aren’t perfect, they come from all walks of life, and they are still stories that I can lose myself in.

I really liked Etienne. I did find it a little frustrating that he associated with Ellen but I appreciated that the situation was remedied relatively quickly. I liked that Etienne seemed to like Matilda first and that he is the one who worked to be with her throughout the story in spite of her resistance.

I really liked this book. There was nothing too deep involved in the story but it was really enjoyable. Definitely would read again.
Profile Image for Sara.
690 reviews7 followers
January 3, 2023
Cute but Psycho is the new book in the Gator Bait MC series by Lani Lynn Vale and it is awesome!

Lani keeps delivering books that you don’t expect and this one takes the cake. I loved the characters - Etienne and Matilda.

Etienne is an ex-con who was sent to jail after beating up two people who made fun of his autistic nephew. After getting released, he becomes fascinated with a woman who is so unique he can’t stop thinking about her.

Matilda, is an aspiring veterinarian whose dream it is to open her own vet clinic with her best friend Diana. When she meets Etienne, she starts to get feelings for him before her arch nemesis, Ellen, steps in to ruin everything.

Matilda’s character is very unique as she is also on the Autism spectrum and has some very colourful quirks. She never thought she could find someone who can handle all that she is and not think of her as a freak. Even her own family, have made her feel horrible. But Etienne is more than up for the challenge!

I absolutely loved this book from start to finish! I thought the ending was a bit rushed but overall it was fantastic! It had me laughing and giggling throughout it as is usual with a Lani Lynn Vale read. The banter between the characters is always hilarious.

I can’t wait to read the next book!
Profile Image for Michele A..
2,644 reviews13 followers
January 19, 2023
Etienne and Mattie have an interesting first meeting. He has picked up a hairless cat and is walking into town with it when she stops. They exchange words and he declines her offer to pick him up and drive him and the cat into town. They then see each other when he is the new builder for the vet clinic she and her partner are having built in town. Things do not go smoothly at all for them in the beginning. He has Ellen, who has never been nice to Mattie, work as his assistant. Mattie thinks they are actually dating, but she is wrong. Mattie was hard to really get a feel for. She has sensory issues and seems to be somewhat on the spectrum. Her family treats her horribly and seems to be stealing from her. There was a lot going on in this book and most of it was not necessary. There were inconsistencies in the timeline at points and I was wondering what was going on. In one chapter she is lamenting how long they've been together now and the next it is still the same weekend from before???? How??? I went back and reread the previous chapter to make sure I wasn't missing something. I wasn't. The whole thing with her inheritance was just weird. Their ending worked for them.
Profile Image for Jen.
3,076 reviews
January 20, 2023
Can I just say that one of the best things about Lani Lynn Vale as an author is that there aren't any overly long waits between books when she writes a series? I'm adoring her Gator Bait MC series so far, and being able to have the next book in the series every couple or so months has been awesome. We're up to book three in the aforementioned series, and Cute But Psycho was as entertaining as I expected it to be. In short, this series has proven to be par for the course, and I do hope it continues throughout what remains.

The twosome of Etienne and Matilda was a force to be reckoned with. I adored getting to know these two main characters and their story held my attention from start to finish. Etienne was someone who had Matilda's back, but he wasn't the only one either. He ensured that she was protected and cared for, something that she wasn't getting from her own family. As for Matilda, she showed a lot of growth, going from the woman who, at times, was made to feel unworthy to someone who knew she deserved far more. The antagonists were truly heinous, with nary a thing about them worthy of redemption. But Etienne and Matilda had the best happily-ever-after, and Cute But Psycho grabs five stars.
Profile Image for Michelle Schwartz.
308 reviews2 followers
January 9, 2023
Cute but Psycho is another one of Lani’s hits. I was so sad to see this book end. The time that she devotes to her characters is unbelievable. You fall in love with each one of them and even the crazies find a place in your head … living rent free.

One thing that I love about Lani’s writing is that she uses real personalities. Real people with real quirks, disabilities, and problems. Cute but Psycho is no different. Matilda had a quirk about her with touch and feeling. She had urges to feel materials or different textures. She was particular with the way things were done or placed. I adored that about her, because it shows that no one is perfect and Etienne loved every aspect of her. He likes her for her, no matter if it was odd or not. These stories are real. She doesn’t shy away from societal differences and this is why Lani has me coming back time and time again.

Another great story with even better characters. We still get visited by past characters and I get so excited to see them come back in other books. I look forward to her next baby … Annoyed at First Sight. I can’t wait!!

~Michelle with Engaging Secrets
Profile Image for Kara Hildebrand (Two Book Pushers).
1,612 reviews141 followers
January 7, 2023
4.5
Cute but Psycho is the third book in the Gator Bait MC series by Lani Lynn Vale. We met Etienne and Matilda in Good Trouble and their story is an enemies-to-lovers romance! Etienne is friends with Bain and just out of jail. When he meets Matilda there's something about her that he really likes. But she seems to hate him. He doesn’t know why, but he's building her new clinic so he's going to see her a lot so he has to get her to like him. Matilda has a crappy family. No one really loved her and she just wants to feel loved and safe. She also has sensory issues and people are jerks to her! She's smart, pretty and speaks her mind. Once she and Etienne clear the air, she likes him again. They have a lot in common and he loves the things about her that make her unique. He knows just how to talk to her and give her what she needs. Their story was funny, sexy and emotional. It's not my favorite of the series, I just couldn't connect with these characters like I usually do. But I'm looking forward to more from the series!
Profile Image for Lynn Brooks.
2,939 reviews30 followers
4 1/2 STARS!

Vale shines when building a cast of tough but oh so loveable guys! The third book in the Gator Bait MC series brings us Etienne's story when he meets his match in Matilda. The characters are intense and a lot of fun, the plot is thick with tension, angst and steamy goodness. I loved their story and look forward to more to come in the series!

Etienne is fierce and loyal and I loved every minute of him. Watching him fall hard and fast for "the one" was breathtaking.

Matilda is such a great character. She's heartfelt and direct and she loves hard when she has a loyal person in her life. She's been mistreated so much, so it's really rewarding to see those that have done her wrong get what's coming to them.

I highly recommend this book as well as the entire series to anyone that loves to see a great redemption story for an MC guy that has been imprisoned and starts his life anew while bonding with a new group of brothers that will have his back through thick and thin.
23 reviews1 follower
January 17, 2023
Lani just has a knack for writing alpha men who are amazing. They are understanding, do gooders that just make you fall in love with them. They don't seem like do gooders, but they are. Etienne landed himself in prison sticking up for his nephew (Which btw, I do not like his sister and brother in law). I love how Matilda and Conrad (his nephew) bond and how Matilda understands him so much. Lani did a great job developing both their characters.
Etienne and Matilda together just fit together. He understands her on a level she has never experienced before and she blossoms because of this.
Overall I love the Alpha Male falling for the Nerdy and strange girl. My favorite part is when Matilda proposes to Etienne. She doesn't even think it is real, but to him it is. Their love story has many ups and downs, but it is very sweet. Matilda is just someone you love and want to be friends with.
I do not have any complaints about this book and the writing. It is well written, the story flows, and the characters are well developed. Great Job Lani!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 132 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.