Start by marking “The Book of Ti'ana (Myst, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Ti'ana (Myst, #2)

The Book of Ti'ana

(Myst #2)

Ti'ana, known among humans as Anna, is the first woman from the outside world to enter the domain of D'ni. This is her story of trust and betrayal, and her struggle against the evil schemes of Veovis, the architect of the destruction of D'ni, and all that she loves.
Mass Market Paperback, 577 pages
Published November 1st 1997 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Ti'ana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Ti'ana

Start your review of The Book of Ti'ana (Myst, #2)
Artemas
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first Myst book and was excited to start this one. My high expectations diminished quickly as I struggled through the first 200 pages of the book where it felt like absolutely nothing happend. However, one thing I learned is that the author is clearly either a geology professor or someone who has a passion for geology; as made evident by the numerous digging/excavating scenes loaded with geological terminology = boring.

I never played the PC game, so there was zero nostalgia
J.A.
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This story takes you back even further than Atrus and his beginnings - to that of Anna - his grandmother. It starts as her father dies and leaves her in the desert at the end of their geological survey. Its there she discovers the lava tube tunnels that leads to her greatest discovery that alters her life forever.

This is a sad story for it covers the fall of D'ni as we know was thrown into ruins. You can feel the loss under your skin as you watch it take place. I think this one is the most power
Coco
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Part of my favorite trilogy of all time. These books are as beautifully written as the games are made. The D'ni have rich culture and beautiful worlds to explore. Even though this was book two, I read it first unknowingly and I was glad I did. Chronologically, this is the first story.
Natalie
Kathi
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mara
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? Yes!!!! Yes, yes, and yes! It’s gorgeous! It’s mysterious! It’s just absolutely wonderful! They simply don’t do cover art like this anymore.

Characters: I’m saying this right off: If The Book of Ti’ana ever gets turned into a movie, Tom Hiddleston has to play Veovis. A lord’s son who commands the respect of the elder councilors, who always gets what he wants, and who is a good friend when he has an invested interest in being your friend. But also more than a little eaten u
Sara
I'm still working my way through the Myst novels based on the popular computer game series. My latest choice, THE BOOK OF TI'ANA, chronicles one of the most significant events of Myst's pre-game history: the fall of the D'ni, the people who created books that can link readers to other worlds. (This event is hinted at several times during THE BOOK OF ATRUS, which begins about 10 to 15 years after this book ends.) It also tells the story of Anna, the only human to find the realm of D'ni and become ...more
Adam
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Needless to say after finishing "The Book of Atrus" I had fairly high expectations for this series going forward. At the end of "The Book of Atrus" we think the story is going to continue forward from that point, but there is a major story that has not been told yet. The fall of D'ni. This tale is frequently alluded to in the game and the prior book. In fact most of the prior book is trying to rework what was lost during the fall of the D'ni Empire.

Journey with us to a long ago time when Atrus'
Taylor Kinnicutt
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love, Trouble, and shaken foundations are highlighted in this wonderful book.The web of fantasy and science run deep in the vivid back ground story of the world and civilization of Myst.I chose this book because I've been playing the game since before I could comprehend what the games were about. This book stays true to the intrigue and mind bending puzzles that the games held in high regard. The book of Ti'ana, being a prelude to the following of Artus, paints the background of not only the his ...more
Amanda
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
My husband, who is a huge fan of the Myst PC games, introduced me to this series a few years ago. I read the book of Atrus the year we got married (2008), and just finished reading The Book of Ti'ana yesterday. I've never played the games, but I can really appreciate the beauty of these stories -- they've left me intrigued, and extremely interested in playing the games. In both books I love the characters's appreciation of geology, physics, and problem solving skills. I also think the love stori ...more
Philip
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entertainment
It's the most beautiful, most tragic story about the end of a great empire, and most of all a great culture: The D'ni.
The way the characters work and develop, the way they interact, it is very convincing and touching. It's fascinating, because I find it very hard to imagine there is one man behind this who is capable to see so clearly through all those different eyes, these different characteristics and perspectives, which form the great dynamic of this book - but it never turns chaotic. The plo
Telthor
It's been a few days since I've finished this, which means my emotions toward it have dulled out a bit--and I've also forgotten details of it that I meant to talk about but now can't remember what they were, so as a review this is probably going to be a bit muddled, but I'd like to lay out some thoughts on it anyway just because they help me recall the content when I recommend books to people later.

So.

I think the first book in this series was beautiful. I found the characters all engaging in a
Christa
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Followed the first book nicely and really gave you a look into the characters. While I feel these books are a slow read, it's totally worth it once you are able to let the Age absorb you and take your mind to places you've never dreamt of being. Likable (and hateable) characters, colorful landscapes and so much imagination flood these books. I'm glad I read it slowly and I can't wait to sink my teeth into the third one!
Breezy
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how much I liked this book. The way you're forced to use your imagination and the creativity involved in these worlds is amazing.

When I started reading these books, I wasn't entirely sure I would like them, as they are based on a video game. In my mind I guess I expected them to be underdeveloped as far as writing goes, but I found that they are not at all. The writing is smooth, the characters are wonderful, and the story is truly entertaining.
Rich Zowaski
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Learn the history of the great D'ni Empire. Find yourself walking the streets with the rest of the D'ni citizens and discover the timeless stories of a people betrayed. Excellent book!
Amanda
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I named my daughter after Ti'ana :-)
Drema Deoraich
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Anna lives with her father, conducting geological surveys in the desert. When his death leaves her alone, Anna sets off for the nearest town, but decides to make one last exploration of tunnels in the extinct volcano, discovered by her father just days before his death.

Deep beneath the surface of the caldera, the civilization of D’ni has thrived for thousands upon thousands of years. At the moment, its citizens once again engage in a long-standing debate: whether or not to venture to the surface
Emily
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 4.5/5

This review does contain some spoilers!

In this installment in the series, we learn more about Atrus's grandmother, Anna. She is a fully human woman who lives on the harsh surface of Earth until one day after her father's death she discovers a tunnel leading to the D'ni civilization. After integrating as best she can into their society (essentially held captive by them) she begins to form stronger connections. In the midst of political upheaval, she makes a decision th
Anna Garnet
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
...Wow. I picked up this book at a yard sale for a dime because a friend of mine loves the games. I expected to enjoy it, but... I really love it.

The worldbuilding is so good. I know pretty much nothing about the Myst games, but D'ni is fascinating. I almost would like to go there, if I weren't terrified of being far underground. The concept of the Books is so interesting to me, I know that plays into the games a lot so I'm kind of wanting to play them now.

The best part for me, personally, was
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Lewis Clark
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love these books. Real comfort reads. This one was a little more substantial than The Book of Atrus and the language a little more interesting. Set before The Book of Atrus, The Book of Ti'ana tells the story of Atrus' grandmother Anna; a surface-dweller who randomly stumbles upon the underground world of D'ni and falls in love with a D'ni native. It charts the history of the D'ni people and the eventual fall of their world and gives context to the lonely, empty worlds of the Myst series. Agai ...more
زينب
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
The second book in the Myst series. Tells the story of Anna (Ti'ana) and how she discovers the shaft leading to the D'ni civilization and end up living as one of them. Then how the D'ni fell and the role she played in that. How she escaped with her son Gehn to the surface. The plot was very interesting and I was hooked from start to finish. I find that, like the previous book, some aspects of the plot were either skipped or not explained well. Overall, it is a captivating read for somebody who i ...more
Gerald Jerome
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kivrin
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
It was an interesting read but felt flat to me. The setting was great. I loved the descriptions of D'ni society, but the individual characters came across as one-dimensional to me. The story would jump ahead in time, and I felt like so many details were skipped. The action was slow until about 2/3's of the way through the book. The ending was depressing, so I don't think I'll read any more of these.
Sheri Yutzy
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like to read this one first in the Myst series, since it gives a deeper look into D'ni culture. This is the fascinating tale of the fall of D'ni. What caused so great a city to fall? Will it ever rise again to write the Books that link to other worlds? Learn the background of Ti'ana and how she shifted history.
And of course, link to endless worlds of possibility.
Devyn
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
The awful, painful tediousness of this book could be explained by me not reading the first book first. Things picked up about half way when Anna finally made an appearance, but I still found the book to be rather dry. I understand that everything before Anna was written so the reader would fully understand the plot, but it was still one hell of a trudge.
That being said, I have to agree that this book is exceptional. The world of D'ni is as gorgeous as it is massive. The complexity and imaginati
Sonja
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're already a fan of Myst - well, then, what are you waiting for, grab this book! It's the back story of much of the events that occurred before even the first game; you get a great chance to really understand more about the world, and the lore. And you get a fantastic look at what the D'ni were *really* like before the fall.
Megan Johnson
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. Parts of this book, unlike the Book of Atrus, drug on SO LONG. I had to skim the first (maybe the second too?) part because it was soooo unbelievably boring. This is the Book of Ti’ana, and I don’t need a detailed description on every inch they mined in the caverns. Seriously.

That being said, the rest of the book was really entertaining and very sad.
Whitney
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
What a dry beginning. Wow. I recommend starting at Part Two instead of sludging through that awful beginning.

Once it gets started, the story is pretty good. The writing quality is just okay, but the world he created is interesting enough to make up for that.
Megan
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly well-written read that doesn't require you to have much knowledge of the Myst series beforehand (although it always helps). The characters were interesting and the descriptions of the D'Ni caverns at the start of the book were were very engaging.

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A closer look at the art techniques of Patrick Woodroffe
  • All That Remains (Lone Survivor #1)
  • The Second Earth: The Pentateuch Re-Told
  • All That Survives (Lone Survivor #2)
  • Final Impact: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Thriller
  • The Witch Doll
  • Mathematical Games
  • Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress
  • The Fortunate Fall
  • Batman: Death by Design
  • De bewaker
  • Scrivener's Moon (Fever Crumb, #3)
  • Opgevangen in andijvielucht
  • Eye
  • Shadow Magic (Lyra, #1)
  • The Carpet People
  • Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux
Rand Miller (born January 17, 1959 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.) co-founded Cyan (now Cyan Worlds) with brother Robyn Miller and became famous from the unexpected success of their computer game Myst, which remained the number one-selling game for the remainder of the 1990s. Rand also worked on the game's sequel, Riven, and later Myst III: Exile, Myst IV: Revelation, Myst V: End of Ages, rea ...more

Myst (4 books)
  • The Book of Atrus (Myst, #1)
  • The Book of D'ni (Myst, #3)
  • The Book of Marrim (Myst, #4)