Start by marking “When Dragons Rage (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
When Dragons Rage (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #2)

When Dragons Rage

(DragonCrown War Cycle #2)

Michael A. Stackpole--"New York Times" bestselling author and master of epic fantasy--continues his unforgettable chronicle of a world divided by war, betrayal, desire, and two rival magicks...When Dragons Rage.
As her merciless armies sweep from the north, the tyrant Chytrine pursues her quest to become empress of the world in a brutal campaign of unspeakable bloodshed an
Published November 4th 2003 by Spectra Books (first published November 26th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about When Dragons Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Dragons Rage

Lindsey
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
‘When Dragons Rage’ continues the fascinating story of the team of heroes led by Alexia of Okrannel, Will Norrington, Kerrigan Reese, Crow and Resolute as they war with Chytrine, Empress of the north. While the book was well-written and gripping, for me it still didn’t reach the level set by ‘Fortress Draconis’. Why? These are the reasons…

Likes:

- Character development for Will and Kerrigan. By the end of ‘Fortress Draconis’, both characters had already matured a lot, but their development contin
Nicolas
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Voici la suite de Forteresse Draconis, on retrouve ici l'ensemble des personnages que nous avions découvert au cours du premier tome, auquel va s'ajouter de nouveaux personnages clés pour la dernière partie de l'histoire.
Je ne parlerais pas de l'histoire, une fois encore, afin de ne pas "spoiler" les personnes souhaitant découvrir d'eux même les tenants et les aboutissants de l'histoire.
Je me permettrais juste de spoiler le fait que les personnages évoluent que se soit dans leur caractères ou d
Alain
Fantastic series AND WHAT A SUPERB ENDING.
Probably the best in the saga thus far.
Kei
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Series continues well. Several surprising revelations in this one.

On to the next.
Althéa
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Voilà de longs mois que j'ai lu le premier tome de La guerre de la couronne, de Michael A. Stackpole ; je me souviens, c'était à l'occasion d'un Festival du Livre de feu le Cercle des Huit, un forum dédié aux admins de jeux par forum, ça commence à dater. Pourtant, je me souviens très bien de la fin de Forteresse Draconis, époustouflante. Et si l'action reprend exactement là où on l'a laissée, l'adrénaline retombe comme un soufflet trop tôt sorti du four ! L'auteur a pris le parti de tisser pati ...more
Ben
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Boring, the characters lack any kind of substantial or powerful feeling to them, never really engaging. The war itself is constantly talked about going horribly bad for the good guys... but its never really shown that they are losing. You read here and there that this nation or that nation has fallen; but it seems to impart little impact because the next battle with the good guys - they win. The "troop" or "band of heroes" like in all fantasy novels; seems to always win their battles. No losses, ...more
Abhishek Tripathi
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
review to come..
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I used to think Michael Stackpole is a hack writer. He tells stories aimed to pander to people. He has all the technical skill in the world, but none of the heart. But he is something a bit more than a hack. He is a fan of fantasy writing. He isn't pandering, he is writing things that he would like to read.

Having the same sensibilities, When Dragons Rage is something I did like to read. As a fan, and a guy like me Stackpole wrote it in a way that kept it unique and interesting enough to justify
H.L. Reasby
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE!
Michael Stackpole is, in my opinion, hands-down one of the best fantasy writers out there. I cannot recommend this series of books highly enough. The world is lush and detailed; like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, the world has a feel of age to it and a sense of the weight of history behind the 'current' events.

The characters are complex and intriguing and Stackpole avoids the common pitfall of many fantasy writers wherein different races (elves, etc) are just humans with slightly different chara
Geoff Copper
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, friend-rec
Better pacing throughout this one, but boy was that ending abrupt. And hopefully unsatisfying. The 'fake wedding that turns into an actual one' transition felt a little forced, but it didn't really detract too much. I didn't quite understand the inclusion of Isaura as a character; hopefully this will be sorted out in the final book?
Mark
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I have a spotless Goodreads review record in that I have a review for every book I read. Sometimes I have to cheat because I don't remember a damn thing about the book and don't even have any general thoughts to share. This is one of those cheating times.
Michael Garner
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty good continuation of the series. Characters show progression, nothing too surprising or unexpected until the very end. Not sure what to expect for the conclusion. Could be genius or a disaster.
Craig
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good continuation of the series, a number of interesting reveals and an ending that leaves you wanting to pick up the next book. Character progression is good, they feel more real than alot of fantasy characters.
Connie
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons
These books were very well done. I am not usually into war type books, but there was a lot of different things going on within the war, so it gave me things I liked. I enjoyed all the creatures and characters in the books and the twists and turns.
Kyle
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Very boring compared to it's prequel. Not very many battles. And a bunch of boring dialog. And I didn't like the ending at all.
David
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Plot lines grow darker, but really it's the ending that is hardest to deal with
Elizabeth
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Still liking this series. Story continues to move forward and characters are still engaging.
Elven Johnson
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great read
Kateri
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of the worst cliff-hanger endings I have ever experienced. And I read Karen Marie Monig. Otherwise, an excellent book!
Shari  Mulluane
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: needs-review
My Review here:

Full Review
Cergorach
Aug 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Booring! Started glancing over chapters.
Matt Cowan
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm really loving this series of books!
Marty
Katherine
Mar 09, 2013
Janece
Sep 08, 2008
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
  • Spirit of the Stone (Shadowleague, #2)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • Devlin's Justice (Sword of Change, #3)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • The Dragonstone (Mithgar, #1)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)
  • The Infinity Gate (Darkglass Mountain, #3)
  • The Summer Country (Summer Country, #1)
  • Water Logic (Elemental Logic, #3)
  • Wild Magic (The Godwars, #3)
  • The Sword of Angels (The Bronze Knight, #3)
  • Mistress of the Pearl (The Pearl Saga, #3)
  • Heir of Stone (The Cloudmages #3)
  • The Obsidian Key (The Legend of Asahiel, #2)
  • Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)

DragonCrown War Cycle (4 books)
  • The Dark Glory War (The DragonCrown War Cycle prequel)
  • Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
  • The Grand Crusade (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #3)