Start by marking “The Actor and the Target” as Want to Read:
The Actor and the Target

The Actor and the Target

“Acting is a reflex, a mechanism for development and survival. . . . It isn’t ‘second nature,’ it is ‘first nature.’”—Declan Donnellan

This immensely popular and ever-practical book on acting takes a scalpel to the heart of actors’ persistent fears, helping them to release their talent on stage. It is straightforward and unpretentious, with a spirit of artistic
Published September 1st 2006 by Theatre Communications Group (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Actor and the Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Actor and the Target

Mark
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books about acting and is as valuable for the director as it is the actor. This is not a book for beginners. It's primarily a book about how to break through blockage in rehearsal and performance. It's very heady and assumes a thorough understanding of acting and the foundation work needed to prepare for rehearsals, but it is also incredibly smart and inspiring. This is a must-read for every professional actor, director and teacher of acting/directing.
Dan
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really great way to think about acting, but even better when considered as a directing book. The tools he outlines in the book are great to contextualize relationship, stakes, and the self-fulfilling prophecy of fear (the number one cause of a bad performance is fear that you'll give a bad performance). The few exercises he touches on are really useful for fixing some of the most common problems I see in all levels of performance, and help actors clarify for themselves why they are there, what t ...more
Colin Bruce Anthes
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truthfully, this book about getting out of one's head is counterintuitively over-written. So much of it, however, is brilliant that I'm giving it 5 stars all the same.
Goody
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great. Compatible with training at the SITI Company and the Esper Studio.
Dylan Zucati
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hate reading books about acting because they get so academic and technical; as if there is one way to act, one way to be truthful with a text. The Actor and the Target forces you to get out of your head and recognize that everything you need to act has always been in front of you. It’s like a manual for coaching actors to just act goddamnit. For those it matters to, Nick O’Leary told me to read this book; like most things having to do with theatre, he was right.
Amber Hooper
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-for-school
I read this for a class and never, ever in a million years would have picked it up otherwise. I am not an actor, and I am not interested in pursuing acting at all besides maybe auditioning for a show before I leave college. If I had experience acting before and had plans to pursue acting in the future, I think this book would have been much more helpful and relatable, but for me it wasn't really either of those things.
E
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book was thrust upon me, so perhaps my negative thoughts spur from that- but I personally think, in spite of some good ideas, the book is too long and too convoluted. Sometimes it really is best to not overcomplicate, as that allows for ease and focus on the other. What it promotes is good, but at the same time, just a tad counter-intuitive for me.
Anusha Paul
Feb 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read this book for class. Never would have read it otherwise. The format of the book is confusing and not engaging. It would be a good book for an experienced actor looking to improve, but not for a beginner.
Jakob Hulten
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's been said a lot already, but this is the best book you will ever read on acting.
Hanna Bondarewska
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great guidance for the actors

Fabulous way to practice acting and define the ways to see through the characters yes, to see the targets and let them affect
Allie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-hated
Got some good points, but after about halfway through it becomes redundant. Worth reading, but could have probably been about 100 pages.
Hayley Haggerty
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
find your target. find it.

Seriously though, this book was extremely helpful when looking for a new acting method, especially when it comes to Shakespeare. Thanks!
Vida
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ongoing-read
The best, most practical acting book thus far that I've read. Like writer's block, actors can also feel blocked during the rehearsal process and performance. But this book really helped put to rest a lot of my misconceptions of how to approach the acting process and helped to free me from the things that used to block me.
Kaysy Ostrom
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Note: I am a theatre student and a complete theatre nerd to the MAX. I love acting and the art of acting is completely and utterly fascinating to me. This is a MUST read for anyone interested in being an actor. It's my favorite text I've had to read for my theatre classes thus far. It's not so much a "how to act" book, like Meisner and Stanislavski, its more of a "how do a revitalize my work" and "what do I do if I feel blocked and unproductive" book, as feeling that way is inevitable at times. ...more
Matt
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I found this essential reading during two rehearsal processes and thesis work on personal ownership of one's role and the practical application of that ownership both in rehearsal and performance. Donnellan's text is clear and crisp, addressing the problems that often plague a frightened actor and providing a simplification of one's thinking that allows for an outside, active experience while playing.
Laura Beth
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you do not read any other books on acting . . . read this one, please. Skip all the Meisner and Adler stuff, read this one and it will put you in the game and help you find yourself and your voice without having to think too terribly hard about the "existential" of the more complex methods . . . not to say this book presents an easy path, but it is a doable, intuitive one.

Read it, actors. Read it--and discover
Tia
Nov 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Theatre actors who tend to beat themselves up
This book was written to encourage actors to take the pressure off themselves and just be as open as possible on a stage. Everything you need to play a role already exists! There are impulses coming at you constantly! I read most of this just before playing Mary Warren in "The Crucible" and had perhaps the most relaxed and fulfilling theatre experience I've ever had. This book was not the sole reason for that, but it was a large part of it.
Dennis
May 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is one of the better acting books I have read, and I have read most of them. Acting books are always hard as acting can not be learned from a book. Declan Donnellan has some great insight into common blocks actors have.

His information is not new. His comments about the target is what Meisner refers to as your partner. What is great is how Donnellan words things and breaks down common ideas and rewords ideas to show what the actor should be focused on.
Sarah Kei
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book is a great resource and I recommend it to anyone who has interest in acting. The content is extremely valuable and it's worth reading over and over again. Donnellan does use some round about ways of describing things so it can be initially hard to understand. Other than that, the book is interesting and wonderfully put!
Kristina
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very complicated acting method for the beginner actor. Donnellan's concept is very abstract and hold a very free thinking approach to development. I think he held some brilliant ideas and points, while some of his other points seemed iconoclastic.
Overall it is a resourceful tool, one I will definitely revisit.
Tim Gittings
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: actors
It is amazing. His whole purpose is to cut-through generalization and get to the meat of specificity and that's exactly what he is able to do. He identifies common blocks and doubts and shines a simple, strong light on them to show what is really happening.
Nick O'leary
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theater
One of the best books on acting (and perhaps human behavior) I have ever read. It is actually useful and applicable to the craft of acting without attempting to reduce the inexplicable and ineffable reality of acting as an art. I consider this a must read.
Valerie
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this for my theatre Industry class. I did find it to be a bit dry at times and the references to Romeo and Juliet got quite tired.Not looking forward to making presentation on this though. BUT YAY FOR FINISHING MY GOODREADS YEAR READING GOAL!!!! AHHH GO ME!
Veronica
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a really good book for anyone interested in acting, no matter their level. I'd recommend it.
It's a bit fuzzy sometimes but in the end it all ties together, and I feel that it has taught me quite some things. Both about acting and creativity in general.
Brandon Broughton
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
A wonderful and insightful read on the nature of acting, and how acting is interwoven into our everyday lives. This book isn't just for the actor, it's for any thinking individual.
Ewan Somers
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: acting
Really interesting and useful!
Asha Lannin
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best book on acting I've read yet. Simple, and intuitive.
MK
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
This is probably my favourite book on acting. As a director, I found the author's straighforward approach to be helpful in my own work.
Angela
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I want to have this book tatooed on my body.This will become my Bible.
Mo
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TLDR: buy*

*if you are an actor or director, for anyone else, its a borrow.

• Acting: The First Six Lessons
  • An Acrobat of the Heart: A Physical Approach to Acting Inspired by the Work of Jerzy Grotowski
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • Games for Actors and Non-Actors
  • True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor
  • The Actor's Art and Craft: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique
  • Self-Management for Actors: Getting Down to (Show) Business
“There is no stricter moralist than Fear; and no moralist is a stranger to Fear.” 1 likes
“For we direct, perform and witness performances every night – theatre cannot die before the last dream has been dreamt.” 1 likes