Start by marking “Machines Go To Work” as Want to Read:
Machines Go To Work

Machines Go To Work

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Toddlers love machines and things that go, and this book gives them everything they want, from a cement mixer to a helicopter to a backhoe. Six interactive gatefolds extend the original pictures to three pages, revealing something new about each situation. The final double gatefold opens into a very long train and shows all the machines at work!

The last spread provide
Published May 12th 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Machines Go To Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Machines Go To Work

Betsy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Betsy by: Tim Jones
In his 1975 Introduction to his book Dandelion Wine Ray Bradbury has this to say about children and the ugliness of the mechanical world. “Trains and boxcars and the smell of coal and fire are not ugly to children. Ugliness is a concept that we happen on later and become self-conscious about.” It's true that many of us adults forget how fascinating and beautiful large machines are to small humans. Of course there are a few grownups capable of remembering, and if they are authors they might write ...more
Brett
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I am completely in love with William Low's painting style. Stunning.
Miss Sarah
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This question and answer with flaps book is simple enough for toddlers and up. Each picture asks a question and the answer is behind the page sized flap. Smooth and easy to follow.
Alana
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great storytime read!
Alyson
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I am not a fan of truck books usually, but I loved the mini stories of the equipment in this book. Machines Go to Work is an amazing blend of detailed illustrations of the machines set against fabulous backgrounds. A truck book for boys, girls, and parents! (and librarians)
Watch the videos on Youtube where William Low discusses digital art.
Gwen the Librarian
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This is an outstanding "things that go" book, covering every genre of machines from backhoes to freight ships. Simple text makes this perfect for the youngest (and most appropriate) audience and gorgeous, colorful paintings show the machines and their operators hard at work. My favorite part is that you get to fold-out a page and see what the machines will do next. It's an original entry into a crowded field that can always use fresh work.
Kelly
Great book. Good sound effects, nice short text, detailed pictures. The only thing I didn't like is how flimsy the fold-out pages are. My two-year-old tore one on the first day we had it- and it's a library book! (consternation!)

The last two pages are great- a small picture of each machine in the book, with a bit of text that explains a little more about what that machine does.
Susan
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
I liked it a lot, especially the fifties feeling illustrations, but the way the book is designed - the pages fold out completely - would be a guaranteed disaster in my library after just a few look-throughs. I would love to see the same story/question and answer format and illustrations in a large sturdy book with lift the flaps.
Sylvester
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
8* art
2* text/concept

Maybe for an older toddler. Mine is too destructive. Riiiip! There goes that gorgeous extended page! And he doesn't quite follow the story. Will try again is a year or 2.

May 2015

Yup, he likes it better now. Still pretty destructive, but he likes the story.
Tamara
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My favorite page is the one with the fire truck set against the cherry tree backdrop. It'll wake up your eyes.

Would be fun to read alongside I'm Dirty, as the machines in this one are extremely clean and polite.
Gail
Dec 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The pictures are really beautiful and the flaps make it interesting. A good book to give as a present.
Bonnie
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Great art, and wonderful technique.
Beverly
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Fold-out and gate-fold pages reveal what each truck is doing. The computer-generated artwork looks like oil paintings; with the vehicles very detailed.
Melissa
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Had to read it over and over
Lori
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Three times in a row with my 21month old grandson. Toddler approved.
Alice
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This books has trucks, nice pictures and fold out pages, all makes for a fun book. At the end of the book it has all machines listed and what they do!
John
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bakers-dozen
This picture book feature construction equipment. Each page asks the reader to predict what will happen next, and then reveals it in a fold out page. Great for interactive read alouds!
Luanne Hatcher
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This book shows and tells some machines at work, from the backhoe to fire trucks to ships and trains. It even has foldout pages. The young boys who like trucks and equipment will enjoy this book!
Becca
Just what you'd think.
Arapahoe Libraries
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The truck book for all those littel truck lovers plus mini stories about each vehicle and beautiful illustrations to capture the less truck loving.
Jenny H.
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Great fold out pages and illustrations. Good prompting on each page for kids!
Emerson and Theodore
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
Very good. Nice large pages and drawings with large full page flaps to lift. The book shows a large truck and then poses a scenario with a question for the child to answer.
Emmeline Guest
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it
A good truck book for boys (and girls). The pull out flaps are perfect for lap sharing.

Quintina
Jul 30, 2015
Susie
Dec 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
William Low is a much-lauded illustrator, author, and painter who has received numerous awards. His books include Chinatown and Old Penn Station. He lives in New York City.
More about William Low...