Start by marking “Epidemie (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Epidemie (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1)

Epidemie (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  49,880 Ratings  ·  285 Reviews
De verschijnselen doen zich heel plotseling voor: zware hoofdpijn, hoge koorts, buikpijn, diarree, braken, keelpijn en hoesten. Een gruwelijke epidemie, waaraan alle besmette mensen onherroepelijk bezwijken, grijpt razendsnel om zich heen. De ene epidemiehaard is nog nauwelijks onder controle of een nieuwe ontbrandt alweer in volle hevigheid. Het geheimzinnige Ebolavirus s ...more
Published 1988 by Zwarte Beertjes (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Epidemie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Epidemie

Matthew
2.5 - I'm feeling generous with the round up to three.

First - if you are looking for an outbreak book involving the risk of an end of humanity while a group of intrepid heroes fight for survival - this is not that book! There is very little actual outbreak, it is only a side plot to the main story.

I do enjoy the stories Cook is trying to tell, but sometimes it is a struggle to get through them. I feel like he really has a cool story and fascinating ideas, but that he is not a very good writer.
Tagra
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
That was pretty disappointing, really. I once read some advice that said if the author's name is larger than the title of the book, you should avoid it. This book may be evidence to support that. I mean, it was published in 1988 sure, but it was basically a Nancy Drew mystery with a medical setting. With the level of writing prowess to match...

There isn't much of a synopsis I can provide that isn't covered by the book's description. There are outbreaks of Ebola, and a doctor from the CDC is inve
Elspeth
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was a disappointing book.

To its credit, the novel lives up to its reputation as a fast-paced medical thriller. The story begins with mysterious outbreaks of Ebola appearing in different hospitals of the country, with no initially obvious connection between them. A new doctor from the CDC is assigned to find out why the early outbreaks are occurring and help contain them, and she gets drawn into a political (mystery/thriller) plot.

Why the mediocre review? I was turned off by the romantic d
Angus Whittaker
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was a well written and gripping book, but I don't see it as a genre that I could really get into. Medical thriller? It's a bit too technical - a lot of medical jargon that I didn't get, although most of the concepts are explained in layman's terms - and it seems to be targeted to a small audience of doctors or other members of the medical profession who happen to like mysteries. On the other hand, Robin Cook is surprisingly adept as a writer, and his book stands alone without requiring the ...more
F.T. Moore
Since I've read most of Robin Cook's books, and rate them all a 3, one would wonder why I keep buying them, right?

I consider this an "Airplane book," that is, a good read when you're sitting in an uncomfortable seat and can't move your arms much, and need something to distract you from the world around you. A solid, fun, read, good for the beach, the deck, or a long airplane ride, when all you want is to escape to another world and another life. Something that holds your attention, and doesn't r
Roz
Jul 30, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
Jamie Jeffries
I've read a lot of Robin Cook. Years ago, I developed a theory that he had a computer program that wrote his books after he selected names and a disease or medical issue. They are all the same, reliably so, and I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I can count on a well-written book with a gripping, suspenseful story. On the other, I can predict the outcome, not to mention the progress of the story, within the first few pages, so there's no real mystery there for me.

A few books ago,
Marc
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you seen the movie "Outbreak"? Well this book... is NOTHING... like it. Yes, the Ebola virus is used as a weapon. Yes, someone from the CDC is investigating. The similarity ends there.

A young CDC doctor is sent to an outbreak of what turns out to be Ebola virus in L.A. Then similar outbreaks occur in St. Louis, Phoenix, Philadelphia, and New York. She becomes convinced that someone is using the virus as a weapon. To find out who, she must deal with bureaucracy, a sexually harrassing boss, a
Brian
Mar 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Inept only begins to describe all aspects of this book, since the author didn't take the time to properly write the book, I won't bother to write a proper review. If it was lack of talent that produced this talonless ogre called "Outbreak", I apologize and recommend a new vocation for Robin Cook.
Richard Farnsworth
Robin Hook does a nice job of incoprating fairly solid medical event into a good story.
Saptarshi Ghosh
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2017, thriller
Outbreak is a thrilling and a gripping read. Author has done a brilliant job in bringing an esoteric field like medicine and biology into a thriller/crime genre. The writing is lucid. The story started of brilliantly and carried the suspense and thrill till the end.
However, i expected the story to be a more like medical thriller ( search for a cure and fight against a disease) rather than a crime thriller it turned out to be . Nevertheless, it was a good and a quick read.
Bhavishya
I bought Outbreak to read on a long train journey. It's a fast paced medical thriller that is perfectly acceptable as a guilty reading pleasure. Yes, there are plot holes, weak characters and bad dialogues. But with all its flaws, the storyline keeps moving forward at a strong pace and that is enough to keep the reader like me hooked.

I would have given this book three stars, if not for the blatant sexism displayed by the author in the way he depicts his female lead. Dr. Blumenthal is highly ski
Jessica
This one ended up with its two stars for only the parts actually dealing with the Ebola outbreak. I also liked that it was about a young and untried female doctor at the CDC. I didn't love the carrying out of the young female doctor - she kept doing things that seemed unnatural, until I realized it was written by a middle-aged man, and it made more sense. Not to say men can't write women, but sometimes that's the case. The romantic elements were the most laughable and unnatural, and he sometimes ...more
Pat
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
Meh.

Robin Cook has only one plot: he just changes the names, the settings, and the medical conditions. But really, he's just recycling the same basic story.

That said, this one did at least have some interesting points on how a massive disease outbreak might be dealt with by the medical community. It's worth a read on that basis alone, as long as you're not looking for an "involving mystery" -- because if you've ever read any of his other books, you know exactly who the "bad guy" is by the end of
Pramod Ks
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mariliis
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Something for desperate housewives out there.
Cool story but so poor execution. And whats with combining something so cool as viruses, conspiracy,mucous and blood with stupid love affair? This actually was worst part, if I want to read syrupy love story then I would look it somewhere else right?
Tina
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is NOT good by any stretch of the imagination, if you're referring to quality or word choice or plausibility of the plot. However, it is an entertaining read and seeing as I knew Mr Cook's work going in, I wasn't disappointed. A fun, quick read for the holidays or if you need something mindless to distract you altogether.
P.S. Winn
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story, once again Robin Cook is taking readers on a thrill ride and one that is very close to non-fiction, With the way the government plays with germs who knows when the next outbreak may occur. Thanks to the author for always blending fact and fiction in a thoroughly fascinating way.
Chioma Uzoma
It was alright...it had a weak end though...
Megan
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable with average writing. Hopefully his novels improve as I go along.
Caroline
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disease-books
Anne
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery and crime fans
Erinomainen kirja. Pidän lääketieteellisistä mysteereistä, ja kirja eteni sopivasti niin, ettei toimintaa ollut liikaa. Mysteereissä pitää jättää tilaa sille, että päähenkilö pohtii tilannetta ja tekee tutkimuksia, on epämiellyttävää jos koko ajan vain ryntäillään ympäriinsä. (view spoiler) ...more
Scott Vandrick
Exactly what I thought it would be; a by-the-numbers race between the innocent doctor who stumbles upon the a horrible truth and the greedy, bad guys trying to stop her. At times sexist and annoying at other times a thrilling chase. Cook’s writing is clean and to the point, but when he says “…she knew that he cares…” more than four times in 300 pages, let's just think a moment.
Holly
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't expect it to turn into a political thriller. Kind of a fun read, but the ebola/epidemiology bits were almost an afterthought. Oh, and I'm not sure I've ever read a book that gave such a clear impression of the casual sexual harassment (that I'm told was) common in workplaces in the 1980s as this one.
Davon
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written book. Enjoyed reading it.
Arielle
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cool-book-club
Very easy reading and exciting story. I would definitely considering reading more from Robin Cook.
Jan Grim
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Robin Cook

I didn't know until the very end how it was going to end , that makes for entertaining reading. Enjoy every Cook book.
Reema
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chilling thriller
Bibi
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beetje voorspelbaar en eigenlijk niet zo denderend geschreven ook, maar desalniettemin zeer vermakelijk. Lekkere pageturner die je achter elkaar uit wilt lezen.
Bobbi
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very true to life, it could happen anytime. Great book.
  • Silent Treatment
  • The Abyss
  • Brain Child
  • Harvest
  • Cold Fire / Hideaway / The Key to Midnight
  • The Cobra Event
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Strong Medicine
  • The Deep
  • Pandemic
  • The Eleventh Plague
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri
More about Robin Cook...

Dr. Marissa Blumenthal (2 books)
  • Vital Signs (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #2)