Start by marking “50 Simple Things You Can Do To Save The Earth” as Want to Read:
50 Simple Things You Can Do To Save The Earth

50 Simple Things You Can Do To Save The Earth

To commemorate the twenty-fifth anniversary of Earth Day, an updated guide to environmental awareness encompasses the latest research into such issues as global warming, ozone depletion, and endangered species and offers advice on how readers can help the environment. Original.
Published December 1995 by Earth Works (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about 50 Simple Things You Can Do To Save The Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Simple Things You Can Do To Save The Earth

Start your review of 50 Simple Things You Can Do To Save The Earth
M
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
While this 1989 edition is a little outdated (elephants may go extinct by the year 2000, don't use leaded gas), it still is chock full of useful tips. Recycle, drive less if you can, compost. The 50 tips are broken into three categories: simple things, it takes some effort, for the committed. Most of the tips are simple things. The it takes some effort level involves simple things like recycle your cans and glass, and the not so simple use cloth diapers. This book is still relevant after all ...more
Mary
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference-book
My husband and I used this book in 1990 when we started the recycling program in our county. We were committed to saving our planet but it was a hard sell to those who didn't think about the next seven generations. It has taken 18 years for eco-friendly to become part of our language and hopefully our lives.
Amber
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love reading books like this. You never know what may be added that you didn't know or haven't read about yet. Granted this book was published awhile ago I really injoyed all of the links it gave. So you can easily go to websites of particular things and get updated info or more ways to get involved. Some people just don't know where to start so this is a great book for starters.
Steven Dzwonczyk
This is possibly the most influential book I've ever read. I haven't picked it up in years, but I'll bet there are dozens of things I do every day that were directly because of this book.
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I wish I had the updated version.
Christina
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although it's American based, lots of great tips and reminders
Ky
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
By 2019 this book is just way too out of date.
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i read the kids version of this back in 5th grade, in 1990. that, in addition to the earth day celebrations and renewed focus on the environment in our country, made me a bit of an enviro-freak for a couple years.
i cut every single six pack holder we used or that i found. i didn’t want the fishes and the birds and the baby seals to die from eating them or getting caught in them.
i was afraid of cfcs and styrofoam, and often thought, when using styrofoam, that if it broke, i could almost see the
Earl
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
50 Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth by the Earthworks Group (1989); John Javna, Sophia Javna, and Jesse Javna (2008). It’s a great idea to occasionally read something completely different from what you’re normally used to- not only as a way to expose yourself to a new subject matter but to also expand your knowledge of things. This was probably the first time where I lived has played a factor in determining my reading selection. Having moved to Portland, I couldn’t help but take up a ...more
innae
Aug 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: eco
Even though this was published in 1989, and some of their stats I am sure are outdated -- it still has some fantastic (and many of them really simple) ideas to recycle and reuse, and basically "save the Earth"

It actually made me feel pretty good, as I do many of the suggestions already! Yeah Me! I vow to try to do more.
Natasha
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Its funny to read this guide long after it was written to see what recommendations for saving the earth are now common practice. It would be interesting to see an updated version with current stats to see how we did.
Wilson Wiess
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was fairly good. I would not have read it normally but, I needed to read a how to book for my reading apprenticeship sheet. This book provided some pretty useful things I could do to protect the environment. The problem is that is very old. I would've given this book 5 stars 20 years ago.
Chelsi
Nov 27, 2015 added it
Even in 2015 these steps can be taken to help our planet. We need to take steps for a sustainable life on Earth and that does not mean giving up all comfort in our lives.
Bookerkc
donated
Kelly Holmes
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a child. and it made a huge impact on me.
Jean
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent for ideas. Needs to be re-issued for current decade. This was published in 1989. Surprising how much is still relevant!
Carmen
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A bit dated but we definitely need to do more to support our planet- especially now.
Jo
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: nonfiction, science
Quick read, important stuff your parents never thought about.
Bess
Jul 26, 2008 is currently reading it
Very important tips for each of us. We CAN make a difference.
Mckinley
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yes, simple things, and they can add up. Still worth checking out.
Inggita
Aug 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: earthideas
great format - but too US-based
Don Gubler
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
Just like the title says.
Amy
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
lots of great suggestions for living your life in a greener more eco friendly way
Robin
Chris
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Friends of the Ga...: What do we do? 3 13 Jun 05, 2013 08:44PM

• How the Irish Saved Civilization: The Untold Story of Ireland's Heroic Role from the Fall of Rome to the Rise of Medieval Europe
  • Zonja Z
  • Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue
  • Polyglot: How I Learn Languages
  • Julian Assange: de man die de wereld verandert
  • Makers: The New Industrial Revolution
  • A Certain Justice (Adam Dalgliesh, #10)
  • A Year in the Merde