Start by marking “Nobody Came: The Appalling True Story of Brothers Cruelly Abused in a Jersey Care Home” as Want to Read:

'Nobody Came' is a harrowing account by one of the survivors of the Haut de la Garenne children's home in Jersey.
Published January 20th 2009 by Harper Element (first published January 19th 2009)

Antje
Apr 28, 2009 added it
I`m from germany , and heard just today from this book.
This means,that I still didn`t read this book,-but :
I will try to order(to buy) this book from AMAZON DE.
During the last year I`ve read a lot about the horrible mistreatments ,abuses and rape of children in Jersey care homes,-especially about "Haut de la Garenne".
I think it is a good idea to make this problem public.
It give survived victims the chance to tell their bad experiences.
ANTJE from Germany

Linda Corby
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a really heartfelt story, it very strongly tells the story from a child's eye point of view, and is very touching and well worth reading.

I live in Jersey and therefore know the places mentioned in this book, the abuse victims of the Jersey Children s homes are unlikely to see justice as the island is somewhat corrupt, so I am happy to see the author at least get some royalties at the end of the day.
Ashley
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-read
Nobody Came is a heart wrenching true story about three brothers whose childhoods have ended before they could even begin. As I read the book, I felt as if I was given painful electric shocks whose voltage heightened every time I turned a page. The abuses described within were by far the most shocking experiences I had ever read about.
Ruth Turner
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read these types of books with a healthy dose of skepticism. After all, it's in the authors best interests to make them as appalling as possible.

However, his book really got to me. Be warned, it's beyond appalling, and definitely not for the faint hearted.

From the very first page I was in over my head. I couldn't stop reading. It made me so angry at times that I had to walk away, and so sad that I cried. And through most of the book I felt sick to my stomach.

Brilliantly written, the author br
Carol
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a truly sad story. I couldn't put it down and I couldn't stop crying and gasping at the cruel and horrific abuse the author Robbie, his brothers and the other children endured. A 'home' that should have provided protection for them I felt so angry that it was allowed to happen to them and sick to my stomach that the 'adults' could be so cruel and just how could a mother not care what happens to her own sons.
Joseph
I was really unsure how to rate this book.
I have rated it 4 stars because I found I wanted to read it, I absolutely tore through the book in 2 days and found it difficult to put down. However, I cannot say that I 'really liked it' because the content was so harrowing. Perhaps I got through it so quickly because I didn't want to dwell on the horrendous images it depicted.
I have read a lot of books from this genre and I can safely say that this is one of the most horrifying accounts I have ever r
Penny Grubb
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Abigail
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who doesnt trigger easily about abuse
Brilliantly written, extremely shocking and heart ernding to read.
Ruby Tuesday
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is possibly one of the most harrowing books I've ever read. We have family in Jersey, my mum spent her childhood holidays there, as did I. It's such a beautiful Island that ridiculous as it sounds, you can't imagine such darkness.

There are certain images that stick in my mind from this book, Neville in the chicken room, Dennis at the care home and his sinister parties, the "little cowboy", Marc sad end and Debbie and Pete's tragic love story.

This book may be sad and angry in equal measure t
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The levels of abuse in this book is just so disturbing. People and places that should be good and safe are more like devils and hell. I feel so angry and sad for the abuse the children had to endure in these homes. A heartbreaking book but very well written.
Yax
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think Robbie is an amazing person, I feel for all his family. No one should ever have to go through that in their livli hood.
Paige Walker
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A standout book. Of all the biographical child abuse books I have read, this stands on its own. Extremely upsetting but makes you thoroughly appreciate what you have!
Lieselot Mauroo
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
I've read this book twice now, and each time, it chills me to the bone and fills me with such sadness and appaling that it is hard to get through it, as true stories such as these often can be. This book fills me with a kind of horror a fiction book would never be able to do. I would recommend this book with caution, cause it's probably not suited for everyone.
Mandy Chivers
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down it was so moving, I couldn't believe what such things happened to children so young, it made me cry. I would say you need to read this book and never forget that it's a true story.
Reddy Katzy
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
very interesting and informative, detailed read ..... Horrific ! i cannot imagine why anymone would beat and be cruel to children and i hate that they were subjected to peodophiles they to me are why we shpuld have the death penalty in this country !
Karen
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the saddest books I've read in a long time. The story of these three boys is heart-wrenching. It's very graphic and not for just any reader. But even so, it's a story that needed to be told to bring awareness to the atrocities in some orphanages.
Natasha Knight
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sad book, very cruel and horrible what happened to all those boys and girls. Makes me want to cuddle the life out of my children knowing they are safe. People were and are still so cruel to young innocent little beings. Very good and well written.
Kel
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always find it difficult to rate books like this. I have read many books from this genre and this would have to be one of the worse I have read in terms of the content and I was actually struggling to read it. Content aside the book was well written and engaging.
Sarah Awad
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
a week later after finishing the book: Matt and John and Christopher's souls have been tagging along where ever I go. I hope they all got the peace and rest they deserve.
Hufriya Doctor
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book slaps you hard in the face with the harsh reality of the physical, mental and sexual abuse suffered by the children kept in homes and orphanages during the post WW2 period. A must read.
Nadia
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Harrowing
Kas
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's when reading books like this that you just wonder how a human being can be so brutal and cruel
Marc Carcel
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was very hard to read at times as it is very detailed. But being from Jersey and knowing people that got brought up in Sacre Coeur I had to finish it... Its very sad but its a recommended read!
Donna
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story of this biography is so heartbreaking that you don't want it to be real. Every time you read these horrendous childhood accounts you hope that its not true but who could make up this story. As other readers have mentioned you need to read it as fast as you can, partly I think so the images don't stay with you. I've watched images on the internet of people at the orphanages trying to disprove what victims say happened there. I've been to this beautiful island and it is hard to believe t ...more
Dee Mutung'a
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read 'A child named it' by Dave Pelzer and that book broke my heart but this one....it's a whole different league of heartbreak as to what human beings do to children who have no capacity to take care of themselves or defend themselves.

I struggled finding a rating because it hard to rate a book like this, its so heart wrenching, i read it in two days, i couldn't put it down not but not because its a book that captivates, you read it in awe of how cruel people can be.

Its a book that helps you
Ann Marie
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I understand this one got a lot of ratings based on subject matter....right off the bat - I have to ask the author - was that all?....I understand everyone's opinion of abuse differs....everyone's tolerance of abuse differs....but honestly I have read worse - I have witnessed worse....now my heart goes out for this man and his brothers - truly it does - but after the read I just felt as if I was listening to an old man try and remember and then try and make it sound really bad and unforgivable.. ...more
Stella Daniel
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Truly Appalling.

If you are a person who is used to seeing the world, with friendly butterflies fluttering happily and merry birds chirping joyfully like I do. You'd be very disappointed. You'd immediately feel a dark, heavy cloud of grieve settling on your shoulders –the ones which came along with the sudden realisation that the world has had deeper, darker and unbelievably sadistic stories hidden from our sight. The ones we knew is and were there but deny it just so we could keep enjoying the
Kelly Chapman
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book certainly pulls at the heart strings and makes you realise just how lucky you are!! This is the 2nd time I've read it (though the first was a number of years ago) and now that my children are older the fact that this type of thing happened to these innocent little kids is even more heartbreaking.
Patricia Kaniasty
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can not believe that places like these actually existed........and nobody did anything or believed these children. It scares the crap out of me. No wonder this world is so messed up. When you have people torturing and raping children, you have to think that there is nothing that they wouldn't do...........don't you?
Kathy Chung
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-story
Reviewed at : Small Kucing

DO NOT READ WHEN DEPRESSED!

Depressing and scary book. Unblelieable that the Nuns could be so cruel to little boys

• Hush, Little Baby
  • Helpless: The True Story of a Neglected Girl Betrayed and Exploited by the Neighbour She Trusted
  • Nowhere to Run
  • I Did Tell, I Did: The True Story Of A Little Girl Betrayed By Those Who Should Have Loved Her
  • Silent Sisters
  • Don't You Love Your Daddy?
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • What Daddy Did: The Shocking True Story of a Little Girl Betrayed
  • Mummy's Little Girl: A Desperate Race To Save A Lost Child
  • Baby X: Britain's Child Abusers Brought To Justice
  • Mother from Hell: Two Brothers, a Sadistic Mother, a Childhood Destroyed
  • Mummy’s Little Helper: The Heartrending True Story of a Young Girl Secretly Caring for Her Severely Disabled Mother
  • Wake Up, Mummy: The heartbreaking true story of an abused little girl whose mother was too drunk to notice
  • Child C: Surviving a Foster Mother's Reign of Terror