Start by marking “Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)” as Want to Read:
Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)

Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,207 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Imagine life in an ironically magical world where 144,000 doors separate fiction from reality. A place that can hypnotize even the most grounded philosophy major and deliver a fantastical rhyme to his reason. A place where a best buddy resembles a shaggy carpet, and adventures surpass a boy's dreams? welcome to Castle Perilous.
Published December 1st 1999 by eReads.com (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Castle Perilous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castle Perilous

Kat  Hooper
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Jim
This was a fun, pretty typical fantasy. I read a later book years ago & always wanted to find the rest of the series, but never got around to it. It was tough putting together series back before the Internet & easy inter-library loans. This was a casualty of that barbarous period.

The writing was pretty tight, the world interesting, & the magic was pretty typical. Good characters on both sides & plenty of tension. Glad I finally got around to it.
lukk
Как известно, самые потрясные книги приходят к нам по воле случая. Вот так мне попался ДДЧ со своим Замком *_*

Замок, который называют Опасным. Попасть в него можно через порталы, коих 144 000 (причем цифра не с потолка). Просто заблудившись на подземной стоянке, упав в расщелину, шагнув в проем, появившийся на месте стенки... Ага)

Огромный замок, созданный при помощи магии, его своеобразная геометрия (Эшер плачет), неиследованные миры, стабильные и не очень порталы, Гости из разных миров и как
Ensiform
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Gene, an unemployed philosophy major, finds himself magically transported to a wondrous castle that’s home to 144,000 portals to as many worlds and realms. It’s run by a genial wizard who welcomes all who come as Guests; even better, everyone who lives there develops a magical talent. But terrible forces besiege the castle and threaten to destroy it forever.

This is fun, light fantasy; the premise is a wonderful idea and an enormous wellspring for infinite flights of the imagination (many worlds
Juli
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
So far, it's fun, just REALLY random
Cheryl
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I have been struggling to concentrate lately and picked up this book because it looked light enough to be enjoyable without requiring a lot of heavy thought. It also worked for the May reading theme (royalty). And, most importantly, I was sort of challenged to read it by my friend Melydia (not her legal name) because it is the source of the screen name she has used for almost 25 years. I can report now that she is not as mad as her namesake.

This is not the easiest book to review, because it has
Emma
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable read. I read this years ago and decided to reread the series. The adventures of Gene, Laura and Snowclaw are fun, and the plot for Lord Incarnadine is interesting.
Charles  van Buren
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the description on the cover and various blurbs and recommendations, there is nothing remotely hilarious about this book. It is not a humorous novel. It is, instead, a tale of fantasy adventure, magic and danger. As such it is better than the run of the mill fantasy but does not rise to greatness. I will read the sequel as I have already obtained it without charge.
John Eubank
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I remember seeing this book on a friend's shelf many years ago, and the original paper book's cover really caught my eye - people playing golf in front of a huge castle with a T-Rex on the prowl. "Castle Perilous" was written in the height of a whimsical or humorous fantasy period and is a whole lot of fun to read. If you're expecting a Ring of Power type story or a Game o' Whatever - well, curb that expectation (already) and prepare for a different approach to fantasy. What goes on in Castle Pe ...more
Luvs2read
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Read this book years and years ago when it first came out (1988). Found it in a box when I was cleaning out closets, remembered enjoying it, and decided to re-read. Still enjoyed it very much. It's a classic fantasy--sword battles, mysterious castle, sorcerers, doors to our world (and many other worlds), demons, lost scrolls, humans who are weak in our world but become heroes in the fantasy one, and lots and lots of magic. And Snowclaw, my favorite furry character. It has all the fantasy tropes, ...more
Fantasy Literature
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Castle Perilous is a giant castle with 144,000 rooms that are portals to other worlds. These portals are constantly shifting in and out of other dimensions and occasionally they temporarily open up somewhere on Earth. At those times people may stumble into the castle and not be able to get back out. They become one of the permanent “guests” who have great food, luxurious accommodations, and servants to wait on them. Best of all, they get to explore some of the stable portals leading to exotic pl ...more
Mary Catelli
The first book in a madcap, frothy light series.

At the center of it is Castle Perilous, the castle with 144,000 aspects -- which form portals to other worlds, some stable and some not. Gene and Linda stumble in from our world, and the great ursine Snowclaw from another. Meanwhile the castle is besieged by an army and a sorceress in its own world. Various Guests stumble over learning the Castle's ways and discovering whatever magical power it endows them with -- everyone gets one, from fighting a
Bill
Jan 20, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pfft, comic-fantasy
This would be a decent book to read on public transportation while thinking of something else if any of the book's plot, character development, or jokes had been better developed. Boys in middle school might like it (and there's nothing inside that most parents should be too concerned about--barely a PG), but anyone else should beware.

There is no character development to speak of, although the dialogue each character speaks is somewhat distinguishable from that of the other characters. The plot
Jan Bednarczuk
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
This is one of those books that has an interesting premise, but then does nothing with it. The premise and setting were really good, but the plot and characterization frankly sucked. None of the characters made any sense. One was evil and scheming for no real apparent reason. Two hooked up and became romantic partners, again for no real apparent reason. It was just all silly and pointless, and the only thing that kept me reading to the end was, again, the interesting premise/setting. Too bad the ...more
Jackie
A castle with magical world where 144,000 doors separate fiction from reality and move anytime they wish. Unique characters, from anywhere and anywhen converge in Castle Perilous.
An interesting and fun read. One of the rare occasions when each novel in the series gets better. Light reading, often humorous.
David
Feb 06, 2008 rated it liked it
I'd have to echo the review that mentions poor character development. These are fairly flat characters. You have to read the entire series before get to know them. However, this isn't anything close to fine literature. It could easily be a cartoon or a TV show. That said, it was fun to read. Fluff fantasy, but still quite readable. Three stars for the setting.
Donna
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a fairly light-hearted, easy read. I won't say that it was predictable since the ever-changing realities precluded any foregone conclusions. Although not a gripping storyline, it was entertaining enough that I will probably read other books in the series. I'm curious to find out more about the owner of the castle.
Betty
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A giant castle having portals to all dimensions and guests from all realities who gain magical abilities with residence. Confused heros questing to find a way home who are destined to be together. An odd little novel that draws you in quickly. I only wish some aspects had been covered more deeply and/or the story continued.
Arthur Gibson
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great idea. Almost infinite possibilities. Believable core group of characters. A fun read. Conflict, emotions, problems to solve, heroes, villains, and an all around good time. Nice setup for the series.
Amy
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
My mother found this book at a garage sale and passed it along to me. It is a really easy read. I agree with my mother that after reading it, I wanted to read it again to try and catch the things I missed the first time.
I would recommend this as good goofy fun.
John
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ever get lost in an enormous parking structure and wondered if perhaps you were on the verge of stumbling into another world? Well, maybe you were close to Castle Perilous, an ever-changing fortress that spans multiple dimensions at once like a TARDIS gone to seed.
Kallierose
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series was a great "guilty pleasure" when I was younger. Would I enjoy them as much now, as an adult? Maybe not. But at the time they were a lot of fun. I loved the idea of a magic castle filled with doors that opened onto an almost unlimited number of worlds.
Mahjabeen
May 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
I found this book and decided to read it. It was a quick, easy, and fast read. Not very well written, but kept me interested. Lots of suspense that really leads to nothing. Weak development of the plot.
Daniel
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this ages ago and remember really liking it. Might have to see if I can find an ebook copy somewhere and read it again.
Lindsey
I had so much fun reading this, it was quick and easy and I loved the concept, and there are so many that follow it for those that like a series. I've only gotten through the first three but someday!
Marissa Patterson
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
Not much of a plot, but it was interesting and flew by
Fatbaldguy60
Oct 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Not quite what I expected, but good nonetheless.
Amy
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
A favorite book from my youth, recently found and devoured.
Don
Wow.

I read this many, many years ago and a few days back thought to give it another read.

Just as good as I remember.

Insane Fantasy in the first degree.
Andria
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was a weird book, but not the worst that I'd ever read.
  • The Company of Glass (Everien, #1)
  • The God Stalker Chronicles (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • The Bible Repairman and Other Stories
  • Women Crime Writers: Four Suspense Novels of the 1940s: Laura / The Horizontal Man / In a Lonely Place / The Blank Wall
  • A Malady Of Magicks (The Ebenezum Trilogy, #1)
  • Pigs Don't Fly  (Pigs Don't Fly, #2)
  • Cats Have No Lord
  • Requiem
  • The Un-Magician (OutCast, #1)
  • The Wizardry Cursed (Wiz, #3)
  • Prophecies, Libels & Dreams: Stories
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)
  • Down the Darkest Street (Pete Fernandez Mystery #2)
  • The Nervous System (Dewey Decimal #2)
  • The Well of the Unicorn
  • Near Enemy (Spademan, #2)
  • The Silent Tower (Windrose Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart
From his website:
John DeChancie is the author of over two dozen books, fiction and nonfiction, and has written for periodicals as widely varied as Penthouse and Cult Movies. His novels in the science fiction and fantasy genres have been attracting a wide readership for more than fifteen years, and over a million copies of his books have seen print, many in foreign languages.

John's first work was
More about John DeChancie...

Castle Perilous (9 books)
  • Castle for Rent (Castle Perilous, #2)
  • Castle Kidnapped (Castle Perilous, #3)
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
  • Castle Murders (Castle Perilous, #5)
  • Castle Dreams (Castle Perilous, #6)
  • Castle Spellbound (Castle Perilous, #7)
  • Bride of the Castle (Castle Perilous, #8)
  • The Pirates of Perilous (Castle Perilous, #9)