Start by marking “Kindness: A Treasury of Buddhist Wisdom for Children and Parents” as Want to Read:
Kindness: A Treasury of Buddhist Wisdom for Children and Parents

Kindness: A Treasury of Buddhist Wisdom for Children and Parents

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  116 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Following the Buddha through his various transformations, these traditional tales open the ancient master's teachings to persons of all ages and religions. These stories form a pageant of elephants, monkeys, monks, and men working through foolishness toward wisdom and delight.
Published December 31st 2001 by Eastern Washington University Press (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Kindness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kindness

Melissa
This was a book I found hard to put down. I loved the stories and after reading took time to ponder what I had just read. The sayings were great I went through the book twice just to read and reread them. They were a bit long for my daughter but she loved the illustrations.
Amanda
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Summarize the book
This sweet book is about 150 pages long and primarily comprised of "Stories and Sayings" -largely fables- from the Buddhist traditions. In the author's "note to young readers", she also gives a brief overview of the Buddha's (Siddhartha Gautama) life. In the preface the author writes, "This anthology is a read-aloud book. In compiling these stories and sayings I hope to reach several different audiences...Finally, this anthology is intended to be a resource for the educator try
Meanmayormary
For Grade 2 main lesson block - Jataka Tales, asian fables.. and overview of world religions throughout year. Will follow the waldorf 3 day outline for: The quarellsome quails, joyful the ox, the dung beetle and the monkey king. (will work one or more into our Math Block (monkey, mango math)
vanessa
May 20, 2008 rated it liked it
It's nice to fall asleep after reading a little parable from this book!
Carly
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
My son and I really enjoyed reading this treasury of Buddhist tales. A good bedtime book with morals, although some may be difficult for children to interpret.
Jess Gill
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
filled with short quotes and thoughts that are taken from the buddhist philosophy, and can be applied to everyday life. many of the stories had a fairy tale quality.
Kupie
May 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books! I have bought this book literally 5 or 6 times and each time it gets given away. It's that good.
Julie
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book for parents and children. My oldest son (almost 6) and I pick up this book from time to time and randomly choose stories to read. We have both really enjoyed it.

Sara
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pretty good, but some of the stories were a little hard to understand for my 7 year old.
Jeff
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A delightful collection of tales from various Buddhist traditions written to be read aloud to children. Very well done.
Ami
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirit-matters
It's worth a quick read for the one or two stories that'll stick with you, but it's not going to win any awards for the best storybook of all time.
Amy Buringrud