Start by marking “Noční hlídka (Úžasná Zeměplocha, #29; Městská hlídka, #6)” as Want to Read:
Noční hlídka (Úžasná Zeměplocha, #29; Městská hlídka, #6)

Noční hlídka (Discworld #29)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  79,637 Ratings  ·  1,710 Reviews
Kapitán Elánius z ankh-morporské Noční hlídky měl všechno. Ale nyní je zpět ve své vlastní drsné, nesnadné minulosti, pouze v šatech, které měl právě na sobě, když se Zablesklo. Žít v minulosti je těžké. Umřít v minulosti je neuvěřitelně snadné. Ale on musí přežít, protože má velmi důležitý úkol. Musí vystopovat a chytit vraha, naučit sama sebe mladšího, jak být dobrým pol ...more
Published 2003 by Talpress (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Noční hlídka, please sign up.

Stephen Mackie With all due respect to tother answerers, only a mad-keen Pratchett fan would seriously think you need to read the earlier books.

Each of the Discworld…more

Each of the Discworld books stands entirely alone. There is no continuity, you can jump in anywhere you like and read them in any order.

In the Discworld series, the same characters keep popping up. So often a person who's a bit-part in Night Watch will have several books written about them elsewhere.

For example, at one stage, Death (aka The Grim Reaper) turns up and reaps the souls of people who have just died. Death is a major character in Discworld, he appears in almost every book and is the star of about 3-4 books himself. But none of that is referenced in Night Watch, so you might think "that was a bit weird to introduce the Grim Reaper like that, then have him suddenly leave", but that's it.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mandy The way I understand it, Coates died at about the same time and by the same thugs as Keel did, or rather at about the same time Vimes vanished and…moreThe way I understand it, Coates died at about the same time and by the same thugs as Keel did, or rather at about the same time Vimes vanished and they put the dead Keel in his place. Vetinari mentions the chaos and the men with the lilac fighting like crazy when they saw their leader was down, and I guess/conclude that Coates was the one actually going down. (less)

Leah
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My favourite Pratchett novel, but I'm not really sure why.

I think that Sam Vimes' being in it definitely helps: I think my favourite "series" in the Discworld novels are the City Watch series (along with the witches of Lancre and Death). His character arc really comes to a head in this one, even though he still has another level to go to in Thud!

I also think that time travel being in it also definitely helps. Though not the quantum, metaphysical, zany fun of Thief of Time (though Lu Tze makes an
Speedtribes
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
While Terry Pratchett is known for the humor in his Discworld series, I enjoy them primarily because-- while on the surface, his books do indeed classify as humor, he also writes these almost painful realities, very human thoughts and incredibly immersive emotions in situations that you generally don't find in most humorous fantasy/sci-fi which tends more towards parody and caricatures. Though, I wouldn’t exactly say that the Discworld series isn't a parody-- because his books are parodies, or s ...more
Carol.
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
from my blog at https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2015/...

Thud! Thud!

In one timeline, that’s the name of another Pratchett Discworld novel (the 34th, apparently).
Thud!

In another, that’s the sound of me marching to my own drum.

In yet another, that’s the sound the vegetables thrown by my book-loving friends make when they hit my hard head.

Because, honestly, this was in between the “okay” and ‘liked it” kind of read for me. Given my GR friend average rating of 4.52, I’m missing something. Most likely
Lyn
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terry Pratchett may have been the coolest writer on earth.

Certainty one of the coolest.

In 1969, Steve Winwood and his band mates in Blind Faith (some little known musicians named Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Ric Grech) sang these beautiful lyrics in the haunting song Can’t Find My Way Home.

“Come down off your throne and leave your body alone
Somebody must change
You are the reason I've been waiting all these years
Somebody holds the key

Well, I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm w
Laure
I really enjoyed listening to this audio book. I thought the narrator was excellent with the different character's voices. It was all very entertaining. I adored the humour and the wit present throughout the book. It was the first book from Terry Pratchett I have read - I am not sure why I waited so long to read any of his output - but it will certainly not be the last. A fanstatic read.
Melindam
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"People are content to wait a long time for salvation, but prefer dinner to turn up inside an hour."

"His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Samuel Vimes" has been my acknowledged, unconquerable Discworld/literary C*R*U*S*H ever since Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) by Terry Pratchett.
I would choose him over Mr Darcy & that's saying somethin'. Shame none of the Watch-books were put to film, I could have imagined the divine Alan Rickman (R.I.P.) playing him to perfection.

But the time has come to reveal my -so far- secret
Merand
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may have said this when I finished the last Discworld book but this was by far the best Discworld book yet. Perhaps the best Pratchett book I've read. I loved it. It was not laugh out loud funny the way many of Pratchett's books are but it was so good. It was darker, delving into the history of Ankh-Morpork (Discworld's largest city) and allowing us glimpses into the past of several repeat characters, primarily Sam Vimes, Commander of the Night Watch, but also Lord Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh- ...more
Megan Baxter
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow Terry Pratchett seems to go down particularly well when I'm not feeling at my best. I've read several that I've enjoyed but not been particularly grabbed by. In comparison, the times that I've read one of his books while sick or exhausted, I have liked them a whole lot more.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Morganlise
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pratchett
If I could give this book ten stars, I would. In fact, it makes me rethink all of the other books that I've given five stars, perhaps they don't deserve it...

Here's the problem: This book isn't going to have the right impact unless you've read, at the very least, three of the previous Ankh-Morpork Night Watch books. Please, if you have heard about Pratchett and are looking for some place to start, go with "Guards Guards!" or "Mort", and read a few more before you embark on this one. You'll thank
Chloe
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-owned
The City Watch books aren't my favourite of the Discworld series, which is probably an unpopular opinion - my easiest 5 stars tend to go to Death books and sometimes witches. My favourites still so far remain as Hogfather, Mort, and Equal Rites.

However, I very much enjoy Vimes as a character and find his voice very entertaining and consistent. This was a solid story, a great concept for a plot, and more rounded than some of the books I've read so far. I was pretty impressed with how it came toge
Richard
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
7.5/10

This is rated as one of the best Discworld novels out there, a number of friends put this at the top of a highly rated pile so coming into this on those high hopes didn't take much for it to fall short for me.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this. It's a Watch novel which involves time travel. Talk about a winning combo! Add into that seeing all the characters you enjoy reading about at an earlier stage in their life, a revolution, and some quite emotional scenes then you have a recipe
TL
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
I'm a sucker for a good story with time travel or reincarnation... I see a book with those themes and I snatch it up if I have the funds. There's just something about them :)

This one was on the good side... around page 240 or so it dragged for awhile but picked right back up. Other than that little blip, it kept my attention quite nicely and made me smile when I thought about Sam revisiting his memories and having doubts as to whether it was him or Keel.

I remember saying to him in my head "Don'
Lightreads
Another Watch novel, in which Sam Vimes Is accidentally transported decades into the past in pursuit of a murderous psychopath, whereupon he must play the part of the old Sergeant who first taught young Lance Corporal Sam Vimes what it means to be a copper. Meanwhile, political unrest spreads across the city, the old Patrician is on his way out, and the barricades are going up. Vimes knows what’s going to happen – he was there after all – and he’s visited the graves every year since. And now he’ ...more
Algernon
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
One of the best books in the Discworld series. The story revolves around Sam Vimes, and it's a very good example of the author's shift from slapstick comedy to a subtler form of humor and to targetting in his imaginary world real problems from the world we live in.
Using the plot device of time travel, the author throws the Commander of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch back to a revolutionary episode of the city history and to his own apprenticeship in the Watch. The theme offers the author rich picki
YouKneeK
Night Watch is the 6th book in the Watch subseries of Discworld.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this one pretty well. I say “surprisingly” because, as I’ve said in other reviews, Vimes often gets on my nerves. This book focuses on him very heavily, more than any other book since the first Watch book. However, we see more of the sarcastic and clever aspects of Vimes which I do enjoy and far less of the bitter, woe-is-me, self-destructive aspects which drive me crazy.

This is a time travel story. Vimes ac
Pyza Wędrowniczka
Levka
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit, I like Terry Pratchett a lot anyway, but "Night Watch" is hands down my favorite Discworld novels (Jingo comes in a distant second). One of the darkest and most complex of the City Watch stories, while pursuing a truly depraved criminal named Carcer, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes is thrown back through time on the eve of the birth of his son to help... well, himself. Ankh-Morpork is on the brink of revolution, and somebody's got to make sure young Sammy doesn't die before his time.

But it's
Wastrel
Night Watch isn't the best place to start Pratchett, not because it would leave a bad impression, but because you just won't get as much out of it as a seasoned fan. That's because it's a novel that doesn't just follow on from the events of previous books, but that culminates, explains, and perhaps even justifies them. The plot may be close to standalone - there are very few facts a newcomer would need to learn to understand the plot - but the examination of, and recontextualisation of not only ...more
Skyeofskynet
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jeśli się głębiej zastanowić, w każdej rewolucji chodzi tak naprawdę o jajko na twardo.

Dobre. Ciągle dobre. Bo w sumie jest tu wszystko co lubię: podróż w czasie, alternatywna rzeczywistość, spotkanie przeszłego ja, pokusa, by zmienić wydarzenia, a poza tym Ankh Morpork z czasów przed Vetinarim, młody Vetinari, stara straż przed swoim upadkiem i wzlotem, szwaczki i prawdziwa szwaczka, barykady, kwanty i miasto w najlepszym wydaniu. To chyba najlepsza książka Pratchetta, przynajmniej dla mnie. A
Ray
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have read and enjoyed most of Pratchetts books set in the Disc World.

For recent reads, whilst I have liked the books for the language and comedy, I have felt that the plots were getting formulaic.

This book has reaffirmed my faith in Mr Pratchett. It is a wonderful read, full of pithy comments and hugely funny.
Jan-Maat
The thing about Prachett's discworld books is, that once you've read five or six of them you've read them all.

Aside from that they are the literary equivalent of a good cup of tea and a biscuit.
Kathleen
Another winner in the City Watch series. I've read it before and am currently re-reading it. Here we travel back 30 years and meet a much younger Nobby Nobbs, Fred Colon, Havelock Vetinari, and Sam Vimes, new rookie constable. Even a teenage Sybil makes a cameo.

Night Watch isn't as witty the previous two books. Not so much word play. Not as much political satire. This book is a more intense and more poignant novel, where Vimes, as his old street-savvy self — but disguised — must teach his younge
Chris
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-humor
Vimes is one of Pratchett's characters that has grown greatly over the course of the Discworld series. This book affirms Vimes' place as the traditional family man, a far cry from where Vimes was when the reader is first introduced to him in Guards! Guards!.

The story itself highlights the growth of Anakh-Morpork as well as gives the reader valuable insight into the city's recurring, though not central, characters, such as Reg Shoe, Nobby, and Colon. Pratchett seems to really like Vimes, and in f
Amy
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, favourites, 2012, 2015
I have written on here many times how much I love Terry Pratchett and how I literally feel like I cannot - can. not. - get enough of his Discworld series. [2015 update: still can't get enough.] I don't write reviews for all the books of his I read because that would be insanely repetitive for both me to write and for you to read. Those imaginary reviews would include the words 'comfort food for the soul' in every bloody review, I can tell you now.

But I did want to write quickly about this little
José
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld
Otras reseñas de Mundodisco en mi blog.

Gracias Terry por otra divertidísima historia. Siempre que termino uno de los libros de Mundodisco me siento feliz e impresionado por la imaginación que tenía Pratchett, y «Ronda de Noche» no fue la excepción: sin lugar a dudas es uno de los mejores libros de los Guardias y eso ya es decir mucho.

No puedo ponerle menos de 5 estrellas a los libros de Mundodisco, sinceramente me encantan y los recomiendo a todo el mundo.

Lamentablemente solo me quedan dos
L.J. Smith
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
Where do I begin with this most beloved of books, by this most beloved of current authors? I guess I can start by explaining how I came to read the world-renowned works of Sir Terry “the new Chaucer”* Pratchett myself. It was because of a blog that I came across accidentally. The blogger was thrilled because a new Disc World book had come out in the USA, and she couldn’t wait to read about “Death’s granddaughter.” She added that she envied anyone who hadn’t read a single book in the fantasy seri ...more
Olga Godim
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Unlike most other Discworld novels, this is not a funny book. It’s exploratory and philosophical and delves deep into the natures of leadership and decency, courage and tolerance.
By accident, Sam Vimes, the Watch Commander of Ankh-Morpork and a Duke, is transported 30 years into the past, when the young Sam Vimes was just starting his work in the city police. The streets are boiling with unrest on the eve of a bloody rebellion, and it’s up to the older and much more experienced Vimes to preserv
Roger
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone over 12
Pratchet is brilliant. The story is part of the 'Guards' sequence in the Disc World series. For non-Disc Worlders you have to understand that prolific Pratchet created a comic fantasy world called the Disc World and then proceeded to write stories set in different parts of it, with different characters etc that sometimes meet each other.

The Guards sequence centres on Sam Vimes who is a cop in the city of Ank-Morepork. It is kind of medieval, kind of modern. In this story Sam has risen to be comm
Hannah
Whoa. Just...whoa.

This is not the comedy of Guards! Guards! No dragon in this book...just the dragon of mankind. So real, so raw, so...

Time travel. Corruption in the government and police forces. Revolution. Criminals. Assassins. And one man who dares to take a stand and lead others in moral rightness. This story is very dark as it deals with very realistic crime, bloody battle, devilish politics, and the Beast inside every man.

It also struck a little closer to home for me as the main character
E.J. Lamprey
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-ten
I originally thought Terry Pratchett's books were rather silly, and after Moving Pictures I decided I wouldn't bother again. I can't remember why I changed my mind but I'm glad I did, because his books got better and better up to Night Watch, which is my absolute and all time favourite. I've even re-read the silly ones and they weren't that bad, after all.

Night Watch is brilliant. I mean that quite literally. His other books are entertaining, and they're fun, and they poke a bit of political fu
Quantum 4 111 Dec 16, 2012 10:47PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: BBC Radio serial of Night Watch 9 46 Dec 05, 2011 11:26AM
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2)
  • Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)
  • The Story of the Stone (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #2)
  • The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2)
  • Dark Lord of Derkholm (Derkholm, #1)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“No! Please! I'll tell you whatever you want to know!" the man yelled.
"Really?" said Vimes. "What's the orbital velocity of the moon?"
"What?"
"Oh, you'd like something simpler?”
1745 likes