Start by marking “Das Urteil” as Want to Read:
Das Urteil

Das Urteil (Dismas Hardy #4)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  7,213 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
Dismas Hardy übernimmt die Verteidigung einer jungen Frau, die kaltblütig ihren Ehemann und ihren kleinen Sohn ermordet haben soll. Jennifer Witt jedoch beteuert ihre Unschuld. Aber alle außer Dismas Hardy sind davon überzeugt, daß sie das schreckliche Verbrechen begangen hat und die Todesstrafe verdient.
Paperback
Published 1997 by Heyne (first published September 20th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Das Urteil, please sign up.

Deb Jones All the books in the Dismas Hardy series can be read as stand-alones. I've been preferring to go with the first book in a series when I can and follow…moreAll the books in the Dismas Hardy series can be read as stand-alones. I've been preferring to go with the first book in a series when I can and follow the series forward, but The 13th Juror would be a great start if you don't care about the order.(less)

Rebecca McNutt
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery, fiction, law
The 13th Juror is a very impressive, detailed and powerful legal thriller, with realistic characters and a lot of suspense.
Cathy DuPont
My fourth Dismas Hardy and I really like the character, like him a lot. I like attorneys anyway, so no surprise there. And about one-half the book was a courtroom setting; ditto there, too. No problem.

However, at the beginning in reading the acknowledgements, Lescroart says "My editor (and publisher) Don Fine has done a yeoman's job of nipping, tucking and tightening the sprawling manuscript into its final form..." The word that jumped out at me was "tightening" since previous books, I felt, ne
Deborah
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I can't figure out if she did it, or not! I'll let you know, or maybe not...when it's all finished.

Really enjoyable book that's well written and wonderfully narrated for audio. I like a courtroom-centered drama especially when it involves a young woman whose successful, young doctor husband, and her eight year old son have been murdered! She's the obvious murderer....

Well, it's finished and I could never have guessed "who done it." Lescroart had me all along the way. I do have to say that I once
Ferne
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best short synopsis I read online: "The pressure is on for Dismas Hardy when an abused woman is accused of killing her husband and child in cold blood. Only Dismas believes she's innocent. However, faith alone won't be enough to save her unless Dismas takes one terrifying risk to keep her alive." - From Powell's City of Books.

The top line across the paperbook said, "The Stunning Bestseller." As one reaches for the title on the shelf, one wonders if it will truly be a "stunning" read as per m
Snow
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"The 13th Juror is a stunning and suspenseful novel of moral ambiguity, of good intentions, bad judgements and the tortuous path to ultimate justice."

I absolutely agree with the sentence above, even if it's not mine, I second every word and couldn't have said it better myself.

Absolutely brilliant!!!

6 thriller stars
William
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the finest works of popular fiction I've ever read. People often ask me, are there other writers of legal fiction you enjoy? Well, as a matter of fact, yes, and here it is. Lescroart is always good, but I will probably always think of this as the unforgettable one. If I ever write a legal novel this good, I will be a happy man.
Gloria Bernal
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"We would give her more consideration, when we judge a woman, if we knew how difficult it is to be a woman."
~P. Geraldy

For those that don't know what the title means, the 13th Juror is The Judge presiding over a trial who can override the jury's decision if warranted. That was the point of the defense in this case, the trial of a woman accused of murdering her husband and child. She has been a battered woman all her life, a complicated and interesting character, at the very least. She
Nan Williams
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes suspense.
Shelves: read-more
It was definitely a page turner. Lots of twists and turns, good courtroom scenes.

A book originally published 20 years ago is enlightening in the changes in our society as well as in crime fiction. I appreciated the clean language and the clarity of thought in the narrative. Every time a character would do something like "look for a phone booth," I had to remind myself the book was written in 1994.

The plot could easily have been written today - it was timeless. It was well written, well paced and
George
Apr 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, nook-st
UNINTERESTING.

"Her eyes were malachite set into the alabaster of her skin."—page 147

I'm glad to be finished with THE 13th JUROR, by John Lescroat: a novel that is way too long and less than engaging.

Recommendation: Not worth your time.

"...the populace was beginning to understand that there was no such thing as a nonviolent crime in San Francisco anymore"—page 187

Adobe Digital Edition (ePub), 465 pages
Evi Routoula
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ενδιαφέρον δικαστικό θρίλερ, γρήγορο, με αληθινούς χαρακτήρες και ωραία ανατροπή. Καλογραμμένο και ωραιότατη μετάφραση στην ελληνική. Ως δικηγόρος λάτρεψα την εξήγηση του ποινικού, νομικού συστήματος της Πολιτείας της Καλιφόρνια. Ωραιότατο βιβλίο για τους λάτρεις του είδους.
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Eyes of a Child (Christopher Paget, #3)
  • Personal Injuries
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • After Dark
  • Reasonable Doubt
  • The Tenth Justice
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov
More about John Lescroart...

Dismas Hardy (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)
  • Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy, #3)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)
“worldview. “So?” “You knew that?” 0 likes