Start by marking “Dispatches from the War Room: In the Trenches with Five Extraordinary Leaders” as Want to Read:
Dispatches from the War Room: In the Trenches with Five Extraordinary Leaders

Dispatches from the War Room: In the Trenches with Five Extraordinary Leaders

The fascinating war room memoir of a political pollster and how he helped forge the agendas of five high-profile heads of state

As a hired gun strategist, Greenberga seasoned pollster and political consultanthas seen it all. In his memoir, he recounts his work with President Bill Clinton, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak, Bolivian
Published February 17th 2009 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Dispatches from the War Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dispatches from the War Room

Start your review of Dispatches from the War Room: In the Trenches with Five Extraordinary Leaders
Aaron
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Some interesting insights into how big time pollsters test messages.
The idea that a survey can have a narrative using various hypotheticals I find fascinating. You can see how that narrative then moves people's opinion.

Unfortunately the book is written as if we Greenberg is making the pace the same as what was clearly a very frenetic lifestyle. Unfortunately it makes much of the material undigested. The most interesting chapter is clearly on Ehud Barak -- it's also the best written.

Brianna
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Greenberg has worked with some intriguing people during some important times, and it was worth reading for this alone. It was a little hard to follow the chapters on other countries political systems I'm unfamiliar with which meant the chapter I was most interested in (on Nelson Mandela) was not the most interesting. Still, a lot of interesting tidbits about some significant leaders . And I certainly learned a lot about campaigns. And public opinion.
Patrick Elliot
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read the entire Clinton and Mandela sections and it just didn't move me. Greenberg had a terrible editor because syntax & grammar issues abound, which can make it a bit difficult to read. Only read if you're really interested in the subject matter (use of polling and focus groups in creating campaign themes & messages) in which case it's actually not bad!
Larry
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Although the premise was fascinating -- inside accounts of campaigns with Bill Clinton, Ehud Barak and Nelson Mandela, among others -- Ifound this very disappointing. Mostly self-aggrandizing accounts from a talented pollster. "And then I . . ." I wanted more about Mandela and Clinton, and less about Greenberg.

Ryan Naples
Mar 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book was really so bad. It was boring and poorly written. It read like an incomplete text book. Clearly, the author is a brilliant pollster. He just cannot tell a story. I'm just glad I didn't buy this book and instead took it out of the library.
Hans
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
lots of stories, and then the book moves to total brilliance in the last chapter, which is a great way of understanding political campaigning: a battle of frames.
Dave O'Connor
Kenneth Jr.
Sep 05, 2011
Sheena Rodriguez
Apr 06, 2012
STANLEY B. GREENBERG is the coauthor of the New York Times bestseller It's the Middle Class, Stupid! and polling adviser to presidents, prime ministers, and CEOs across the globe. He lives in Connecticut and Washington, D.C., with his wife, Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT).

News & Interviews