Start by marking “Prospero Burns” as Want to Read:
Prospero Burns

Prospero Burns (The Horus Heresy #15)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  3,251 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
The Emperor is enraged. Primarch Magnus the Red of the Thousand Sons Legion has made a terrible mistake that endangers the very safety of Terra. With no other choice, the Emperor charges Leman Russ, Primarch of the Space Wolves, with the apprehension of his brother from the Thousand Sons' home world of Prospero. This planet of sorcerers will not be easy to overcome, but Ru ...more
Published January 6th 2011 by Black Library (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Prospero Burns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prospero Burns

Gianfranco Mancini

There are no wolves on Fenris....

After re-reading this novel after years I've raised my vote one star.
Yes, the first part of Kasper Ansbach Hawser/Ahmad Ibn Rusta adventures among the Space Wolves is still a boring sci-fi version of "The 13th Warrior" movie/"Eaters of the dead" Crichton's novel, but Abnett's tale is still very good and since the part about Nikea it becomes a real page turner.
"Thousand Sons" is still far better, but the version of the story from the Vika Ferynka point of view
Paul
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Unlike any other Warhammer 40k novel I've read, I'd recommend this to those who aren't familiar with the series, on the solitary premise that it is just a damned good story, once you get past the (possibly unfamiliar) terms, characters, and setting.

I've read a lot of Abnett's stuff, as you might be able to see on my bookshelf. Every time something new of his comes out that isn't "Inquisitorial", I wonder if it is going to be good or overhyped. I tend to lean towards overhyped simply because I f
Nick
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is titled "Prospero Burns" with the subtitle "The Wolves unleashed," but a more accurate title would be "A bunch of boring rememberancer crap" with the subtitle "ZZzzzzz".

Okay, maybe I'm being mean, but this book is frustrating. How do you take eight-foot tall genetically engineered space vikings and make them boring? The answer is making half the book a pointless slog of a flashback. Oh, how I wanted to start skipping pages as the flashbacks droned on and on, serving no purpose and b
Leland
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Abnett just seems to be getting better and better with each Horus Heresy book he writes. I wish he wrote the whole series.
Keamy Loken
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I did not think this book would end up with 4 stars and probably more deserving of 3...the first 100 pages WHERE horribly boring. I have also come to the unthinkable I like the Russ's Wolves and Leman Russ.(but not as much as the Thousand Sons and Magnus of course.)Mostly because you see the Space Wolves as the group that does the dirty jobs the Emperor who is suposedly so great won't do himself!
I did not like that is was called "Propero Burns" and it was 30 pages on Propero very VERY annoying.(
Larry
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 40k
The history of the Space Wolves is uncovered in Prospero Burns ~ The Founding Fields

A man terrorfied of wolves his entire life decides after a life of academia to travel to Feneris, a planet reportedly filled with them. Upon arriving Kasper Hawser is thought of as a bad star he was pursued by the indigenous people of the planet until one of the demon wolves of Feneris comes to his rescue. He awakens 19 great years later to find himself in the body of his 2
Jim
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Horus Heresy Series Fans
This is a good book that showcases Dan Abnett's skill as an auther within the SciFi/WH40 genre and Horus Heresy series. His writing style is makes you want to read on to the next page.

Why only three stars?
I was disappointed. We have seen the events leading up to the attack on Prospero from Magnus's point of view in A Thousand Sons. This was the best opportunity to see the same events from Leman Russ's point of view rather than the "obeying orders" type reason that was given. I was expecting more
Emil Söderman
I must admit, I'd probably have liked Prospero Burns a whole lot more if I hadn't read A Thousand Sons.

You see, it basically follows the other side of the story, the faux-norse and all-wolf-all-the-time Space Wolves Legion, and how they come to wreck the Thousand Sons shit.

It's vaguely interesting, but on the other hand, not really, and a lot of that is due to personal reasons. For one thing, the Space Wolves come across as well, dickish. To everyone (and of course, we've already seen them as di
Richard Stuart
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 40k-horus-heresy
Abnett is a damn good author. This book transcends the limitations of its genre and leaves you feeling like you just read a great book. You feel that way, because you just did.

This is a novel of old lore, tenebrous foreboding and startling revelation. It sinks you deep into a culture mysteriously clad in hoarfrost and unfolds it charms and secrets through the repetitious prayers of whispered page turning.

Run with the wolves, hunt, stalk, and fight; bludgeon, bleed and freeze on the red snow of
Graham Bailey
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horus-heresy, 40k
This book is a masterclass on what constitutes a great Horus Heresy novel, with excellent characters, plot and pacing all the way through. When read in tandem with Thousand Sons it becomes one of the best written and most pivotal moments of the entire Heresy storyline, and when read as a Space Wolf story it cocks it's canine leg all over the previous (and still very enjoyable)Bill King series. The HH has been very hit & miss in places, with some truly execrable books making it past editing; ...more
Poovy
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would have given this book 5 stars if not for the slow and confusing start. Kasper Hawser, an aged Conservator gives his account of his time spent with the Space wolves and reveals much more depth to their world, culture and motivations but for the first half of the book, he constantly switches between his own past and the present on Fenris so randomly that I had to go back a few times as I kept getting lost.
As random as the flashbacks were however, it all actually ties together with the counc
Stephen P
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a Sci-Fi newbie I enjoyed this.
Veronica Anrathi
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horus-heresy
An interesting story of a well written character, yet it took so long to really get intriguing and make sense. I've tried to read it multiple times and it seemed totally impossible to get through the first several chapters when originally I thought this would be similar to A Thousand Sons by Graham McNeill, but from an opposite view point. It turned out well, it made me feel things, it made me look differently at the Wolves even though I sympathize with the sons of Magnus a lot more. This book i ...more
Rebecca
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall I liked it very much. The beginning was quite boring for my short attention span, but when in the end you realize how the author most wonderfully built the foundations to that awesome, gut wrenching finale, it was ten times worth it. I was this close to never EVER forgiving the Vlka Fenryka for annihilating the Sons, but, for the most part, I sympathy and thus they have earned my not-so-noteworthy forgiveness. Their fluffy little "gruff sentimentality" makes me wanna just give 'em all a ...more
Jacob
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to enjoy this ok as much as I did with it being so close on the heels of A Thousand Sons and dealing with the same situation just from the opposite side. That said: I truly enjoyed this book. Dan Abnett is a masterful storyteller and demonstrates that clearly with this story.
I found the start a little confusing, but as the primary character was also confused this was understandable. I truly enjoyed being introduced to the SpaceWolves like I was in this story. Made me hate them a
Ogbaoghene Ozoro
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book immensely, think I'm going to go ahead and read it a third time. Would be nice to see Russ' reaction after he realizes that he and Magnus were set up and the warnings about Horus' treachery were true. Wonder if he would be remorseful, he claimed it broke his heart to go against his brothers - Magnus, Angron, and the unnamed Primarchs. Great read, loved the pace and the unique perspective Hawser's character brings.
Olethros
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-Mucho más allá del simple producto de marketing cruzado, pero mucho.-

Género. Ciencia ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. En el libro Prospero en llamas (publicación original: Prospero Burns, 2010) un visitante al planeta Fenris se ve envuelto en un conflicto de tribus originado por su propia presencia. El visitante, Kasper Hawser o Ahmad Ibn Rustah, tiene problemas con su memoria y terminará sirviendo como escaldo entre los Vika Fenryka, más conocida como la VI Legión Astartes, los Lobos Espaciales. A t
Stuart
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've re-read this book several times. On first reading, I wasn't really impressed; it took too long to get going, and my patience was worn thin long before the plot properly started. But re-readings, when I knew what to expect, cast the book in a better light. This isn't the story of the razing of Prospero, despite the title. Instead, it's the story of the Space Wolves, and their role within the young Imperium. Seen from the eyes of an outsider, it's told in a slightly unusual form for a Horus H ...more
Latrell Zacklane
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m reading the series mostly to keep myself entertained with action-like Sci-Fi in a grimdark universe xD Unfortunately, a descent number of books feels like crude fillers.

Nevertheless, there are some really outstanding novels in the Heresy cycle, which I warmly admire. This book is one of the, if not the, best so far… I can put it to the top of my personal chart, along with “Galaxy in Flames”, “Mechanicum” and “Legion”.

A pure and palpable epicness, all wrapped in a savage and self-sufficient c
Markus Schmidt
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Prospero Burns" is a fantastic story about proud warriors and noble savages, told from the perspective of an outsider. Yes, it uses the "13th Warrior"-shtick, but it knows how to use it well. Abnett's prose is excellent, and his portrayal of an essential event during the Horus Heresy is outstanding. In good ol' 40k tradition, however, chapters about combat and war can drag on sometimes, and the story can be somewhat predictable.

Even if you're not familiar with the setting, "Prospero Burns" is a
Angerico Cariño
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I never thought the day would come when I'd be disappointed by Dan Abnett. It was unthinkable but his method writing (kinda like method acting but as a penpusher) has failed to immerse me because of his chosen subjects: the Space Wolves. He tried to use native Fenrisian words like "murder-make" to represent ideas but I just felt frustrated at the crudeness of it. Possible spoiler up ahead...

Apart from that, the Space Wolves went all scorched-earth against one of my favourite legions: the Thousan
Adam Griffiths
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my sixth Horus Heresy book and I have to admit for a while I thought it was going to be the first wash out.

I just didn’t understand why we were following Kaspar back and forth through his lifetime when I was only interested in following the wolves around!

However, once we got to Nikea the whole book shifted for me. Having already read this from The Thousand Sons point of view it just added another dimension. To meet all these extra characters and to find out what was going on outside Arhi
Adam
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I enjoyed this book so much. It took me a while to read, however that was down to my busy schedule and not a reflection on the book. If I could have, I would have finished much quicker!
Dan Abnett really knows how to write a decent sci-fi novel. Not only was the main storyline engaging, thrilling and full of substance, Abnett also managed to include philosophy, thought-provoking discussions between characters and a well rounded story arch.

Brilliant book
Phillip
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best in the series so far. I was hesitant at the start to be honest, never really being a fan of the space wolves, but the more I read the more l warmed to them and began to realise how misunderstood they are.

Dan does an amazing job of integrating the role of Kasper Hawser, Skjald (oral historian) to the space wolves into the actual structure of the book too, I was very impressed. The closer I got to the end of the book, the harder it got to put down.
Stephen
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Initially when I started reading I thought it would be a sequel to "a Thousand Sons," yet it is actually a complimentary book. The beginning was odd, and for a while I had honestly thought I had the wrong book. However, Abnett sheds a lot of light on the early days of the imperium and post-unity earth, which I found interesting and he gives and explanation for the Space Wolves actions during the events of "a Thousand Sons."
Rory O'halloran
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A disappointing outing from Dan Abnett, easily the poorest writing I have seen from him (if I hear another 'wet leopard growl/purr' I'm gonna scream).
Plot was very bland in the first 2/3rds of the book but saved itself toward the end.
give it a read if you really like the Space Wolves or, like me, are reading the whole heresy series. Otherwise, give it a miss.
Michael Champion
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got confused with the reading order and wound up thinking this was the 5th book in the series (it's the 15th), but it was ok since the entire thing wind up taking place around the start of the emperor leaving the crusade and anointing Horus as warmaster, basically it's a prelude. With that said it was great read, which is refreshing since preludes can be so hit or miss.
Periklis
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly my favorite of Abnett's books yet. And I never really cared much about Space Wolves before that. The framing story, referencing both Caspar Hauser and Michael Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead", was a seer joy to read. Probably the most cinematic and elegiac warhammer novel to date, it's the one I would likely recommend to a new reader...
Sarah-kate
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Other than the title being a slight misnomer this book is pretty good, as Black Library titles go. Abnett disappointed me slightly with his pointlessly ostentatious use of language, and a seeming disregard for the meanings of some words which forced me to liken a portion of this title to a McNeill book. Characters where fantastic, plot was great, had a good sense of character development. Abnett's ability to interject humour seamlessly is wonderful, as is his effortless and believable portrayal ...more
Mr. Yuk
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic Warhammer book from Dan Abnett. Awesome story! I recommend reading A Thousand Sons (book 12 of the series) before this one. The two books contain some of the same events, but are told from opposing sides. Plus, the turn at the end was just great.

Highly recommended!!!
  • Galaxy in Flames
  • Descent of Angels
  • Mark of Calth
  • Scars

The Horus Heresy (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Horus Rising
  • Battle for the Abyss
  • Mechanicum
  • Tales of Heresy

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Caches of data are being recovered all the time. Why, just the other day, I heard that we now had complete texts for all three of Shakespire's plays!” 5 likes
“The Hall of Tra was cold and lightless. His wolf-eye caught the ghost radiation of barely smouldering firepits. In terms of heat and light, the Wolves were making no allowances for human tolerances of comfort. They had given him a pelt and an eye to see through the dark with. What more could he want? He realised he wasn’t alone. The company was all around him. Their body heat was barely detectable, dimmer than the dull firepits. The Hall was a massive natural cavern, ragged and irregular, and the Astartes were ranged around it, huddled and coiled in their furs, as immobile as a sibling pack of predators, gone to ground overnight, dormant and pressed close for warmth. Faces cowled by animal skin hoods were watching his approach. There were occasional grumbles and murmurs, like animals growling in their sleep or tussling over bones. As his eye resolved the scene better, the Upplander saw some evidence of movement. He saw hands casually raise silver bowls and dishes so that men could sip black liquid from them. He saw hunched shapes engaged in the counter game, hneftafl, that the Upplander had seen Skarsi playing.” 1 likes