Start by marking “Lipstick Jungle” as Want to Read:
Lipstick Jungle

Lipstick Jungle

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  37,529 Ratings  ·  946 Reviews
Victory, Wendy and Nico are the very picture of success in New York City, but from where they're standing it doesn't quite look that way. Candace Bushnell tells the story of the three friends as they navigate a path through the minefields of work, love and life in the Big Apple.
Published September 4th 2008 by Abacus Software (first published January 1st 2005)

Lora
Feb 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Writer
Dec 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If there is an award for the most ridiculous and unrealistic book ever, I would award it to Lipstick Jungle, written by Candace Bushnell. The one and the same author who wrote the widely-known "Sex and the City".

I have always been suspicious of her writing talent though. No offense, I do love Sex and the City series, like many other single and fabulous women in the world *coughs* but that's only the TV series, not the real book. When I finally had the chance to pick up the book and read it, my d
jennifer
Jan 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a "Sex and the City" viewer, I thought I was going to enjoy this book; however, that was not the case. I think that the book could have been much better and that a few times hit on deeper thoughts that should have been further developed- but instead were just dropped... leaving the story somewhat superficial. Now you might think- "Sex and the City" (SATC) isn't exactly deep so what did I expect? I suppose that after watching SATC for several years- you naturally develop relationships with the ...more
A.
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very happy to find that this novel is not your typical chick-lit book (and not at all like the Sex and the City novel which I found jarring and strange). Bushnell basically tries to answer the following questions: What happens when women act like stereotypical men? Can they be respected and treated the same way in the workplace? How do high-powered careers affect a woman's relationship with her husband and family?

I am a big fan of the Lipstick Jungle TV series and was interested to see wh
Deah
Nov 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is horrible. Terrible writing, cliched, vapid, and over the top. The three women blend into one- halfway through I still can't remember what one of them actually does. And why anyone would want to date or marry any if them is beyond me. Don't waste your time reading this. And please don't think that being a feminist means you can be an asshole, "just like the men". That's not what it means.
Huw Rhys
May 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On one level, this is a bland enough book that would pass by the reader as soon as the book was put down. It tells us about three ruthless female executives in New York who "do lunch" together whilst in pursuit of the "American Dream". This apparently involved backstabbing, sniffing out more money, more backstabbing and generally acting completely immorally whilst looking for even more money again. One of the more poignant moments - and there are one or two - is when one of the characters questi ...more
Christie
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women who want a mindless read.
Recommended to Christie by: Jeana
Shelves: fiction
So, at first I was going to write this whole review about the book and why I SHOULDN'T have liked it. But the truth of the matter is that it was entertaining enough and it's okay for a book to be just that. I'm allowing myself to find the good in things for what they are. And sometimes you want a fluffy, no brainer. It's called ENTERTAINMENT. Something I normally make myself feel guilty over enjoying.

I truly didn't appreciate the whole, "women can and should have it all and be the best" attitude
Samantha
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I gave this book 4 stars for several reasons. The book is worthy of 5 stars as far as the storyline is concerned, but the way it is written makes it live up to only 4. Lipstick Jungle was a bit hard to follow due to the fact that per chapter, Bushnell jumps from character to charter. Just as you're finally getting into one character, she cuts that one off until the next chapter and picks up where she left off with another character. This was a bit difficult to follow because I found myself confu ...more
Love Fool
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lipstick Jungle weaves the stories of Nico O'Neilly, Wendy Healy, and Victory Ford, numbers 8, 12, and 17 on The New York Post's list of "New York's 50 Most Powerful Women."

Love reading books about women in power. Sure, some parts annoyed me but it's a nice refreshment to see women with money, power, and choices. Plus, it was also a nice refreshment to read about older women, women in their late 30s who can do it all and have it all. This was like Sex and the City, but smarter.
Lain
Dec 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Miranda, Carrie and the gang were high-powered businesswomen, this would be their story. It's the same old "Sex and the City" tale: Can women find happiness, friendship and success in the Big Apple?

Bushnell is a smooth, entertaining writer. A perfect beach read.
Kate
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I came away on holiday with three books to read: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne, On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan and Burning Bright by Helen Dunmore. Of course, this did not stop my from buying a book at the airport (I am a serious bookshop junkie) and since I was going on holiday, I thought I would get something fairly trashy and easy. I opted for Candace Bushnells Lipstick Jungle seeing as I am enjoying the TV show. I have just finished it and I have to say I am pretty disappointed ...more
Megija
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kendaisa Busnela "Lūpukrāsas pavēlnieces." Grāmatas žanrs ir drāma.
seit tiek stāstīts par trim ietekmīgām Ņujorkas sievietēm, kuras, atrazdamās panākumu virsotnē, izbauda veiksmi,taču tajā pasā laikā arī zaudējumus, attiecību vētras, nodevību un skandālus, kas sevī ietver katras sievietes aktuālās tēmas un spēj piesaistīt daudzas lasītājas.
sī grāmata ir ļoti mūsdienīga, jo darbība risinās Ņujorkā ap 2008. gadu.
Par sižetu īsumā - lai gan bizness Ņujorkā ir ļoti skars un ir cieņā visbriesmīgākie
Joanna Doherty Salone
Wonderful writing but awful book. The characters had no redeeming value, so much so that instead of rooting for the characters I was happy to see bad things happen to them. These characters are the exact reason why some men hate feminists; there is nothing wrong with being a strong woman but these women took it to another level of belittling and disrespecting the men in their lives. These women seem to think that being a strong woman is about being as big of a jerk as you can to men, which could ...more
Danielle
Aug 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
Candace Bushnell's writing leaves so much to be desired. I've tried and tried, and it's just not worth the effort anymore. How they managed to turn one of her sad books into a multi-million dollar franchise is beyond me.
Molly
Jan 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regular-novels
It's hard to understand why soulless, ignorant, vapid, shallow golddiggers are of interest.
Jason
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this one. Well written, not full of male bashing, and fascinating characters. Would love a sequel to this to see where the three protagonists are in 5 years time.
Rebekah
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is pure unadulterated fluff. Very obviously by Candace Bushnell. Much like Sex in the City had girl power and sex right up together described (or shown) in equal detail so with Lipstick Jungle. The ladies work in high power (or climbing high) jobs, one in magazine publishing, one in movie production, and up and coming fashion designer. They help each other as they can because they are friends and they are friends because they can’t threaten each other. Wendy the producer married a man who cou ...more
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Lipstick Jungle had a good message and a decent story. The problem was that is was always obscured by some problem. Everything felt scattered, from an all over the place time line to almost interchangeable, and therefore easily confusable, main characters.

Lipstick Jungle follows three strong, professional women who found that they could be vulnerable, but only among their female friends. The story showcased the idea that highly successful women have the same problems as average women, only on a
Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Kathleen Tessaro, Candace Bushnell
Recommended to Brittany by: Myself
How I Came To Read This Book: I spotted it at Superstore and snagged it.

The Plot: Instead of four single sirens in NYC, Bushnell writes about three power players who are learning the 'glass ceiling' of yesteryear still has an impact on their lives. Victory is a fashion designer plagued by financial woes - that could be easily solved by compromising her own values. Wendy is trying to balance her intense work pressure with her intense home pressure care of her stay-at-home husband. Nico is stuck i
Raquel Bernardes
Sei que este livro passou para uma série de televisão e que não durou muitas temporadas, mas gostei mais de ler o livro do que a série.
Fala sobre uma amizade entre três mulheres, e na sua luta diária para vence num mundo que é de homens, fantástica leitura posso vos garantir ;)

Lil
Ok, so sassy New York ladies all dressed up and going to work is my jam (thanks, Ryan!). Quick read, fun but a little repetitive and hit you over the head with its "themes". Still, it would be perfect to take on a beach trip with the ladies and read while sipping daquiris that some handsome younger man brought you.
Alice
Aug 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Blah blah blah women blah blah blah power blah blah blah relationships suffer blah blah blah money blah blah BLAH! The "feminism" in this book gets really heavy-handed and then just ends up being tiresome.
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was really good. It's not the type of book I typically read, but it was a nice change of pace. Great characters and a very entertaining story. I may have to read more of her books. This was much better than the guilty pleasure I was expecting.
Angelic Zaizai
Suka deh novel ini..

apalagi sekarang ada serial tivinya.. seru banget..

bongkar2 lagi ah nyari bukunya..
Bridget
I love Candice Bushnell for giving us a book that eventually became the TV series Sex and the City, but most of her books are OK. Not a bad way to pass an afternoon though.
H
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, strong-women
Another sharp-witted exploration of female strength by Ms. Bushnell.
Patrick
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because what self-respecting 27-year-old doesn't devour this book in like 72 hours. (Can't believe I'm admitting this on Goodreads...)
Jencey/
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
The book was okay. I think I would read something more recent by this author.
Anthony
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
successful chicks are h.o.t.t!
Lisa Westerfield
Do you remember Tom Wolfe’s ‘Bonfire of the Vanities’ where he talked about certain Wall Street moguls being ‘masters of the universe’? Candace Bushnell’s ‘Lipstick Jungle’ is like that except the ‘masters’ in this case are three women at the top of their professional game. For some of you not fluent in female pop culture, Candace Bushnell was the inspiration (as well as the creator) of the ‘Carrie Bradshaw’ character in ‘Sex in the City’. Like the first few seasons of ‘Sex,’ ‘Jungle’ displays t ...more
  • Sex and the City: Kiss and Tell
  • The Starter Wife
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • The Right Address
  • The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder
  • Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • Last Night at Chateau Marmont
  • To Have and to Hold
  • The Secret Lives of Fortunate Wives
  • The Guy Not Taken: Stories
  • The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)
  • The Dirty Girls Social Club (Dirty Girls, #1)
  • Frenemies
  • Pink Slip
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Sleeping Arrangements
Candace Bushnell is the critically acclaimed, international best-selling author of Killing Monica, Sex and the City, Summer and the City, The Carrie Diaries, One Fifth Avenue, Lipstick Jungle, Trading Up, and Four Blondes. Sex and the City, published in 1996, was the basis for the HBO hit series and two subsequent blockbuster movies. Lipstick Jungle became a popular television series on NBC, as di ...more
More about Candace Bushnell...
“Thank goodness for the first snow, it was a reminder--no matter how old you became and how much you'd seen, things could still be new if you were willing to believe they still mattered.” 53 likes
“The car was on the FDR drive now and, turning her head, she glanced out at the bleak brown buildings of the projects that stretched for blocks along the drive. Something inside her sank at the sight of all that sameness, and she suddenly felt defeated.
She shifted uncomfortably in her seat. In the past year, she'd started experiencing these moments of desperate emptiness, as if nothing really mattered, nothing was ever going to change, there was nothing new; and she could see her life stretching before her--one endless long day after the next, in which every day was essentially the same. Meanwhile, time was marching on, and all that was happening to her was that she was getting older and smaller, and one day she would be no bigger than a dot, and then she would simply disappear. Poof! Like a small leaf burned up under a magnifying glass in the sun. These feelings were shocking to her, because she'd never experienced world-weariness before. She'd never had time. All her life, she'd been striving and striving to become this thing that was herself--the entity that was Nico O'Neilly. And then, one morning, time had caught up with her and she had woken up and realized that she was there. She had arrived at her destination, and she had everything she'd worked so hard for: a stunning career, a loving (well, sort of) husband, whom she respected, and a beautiful eleven-year-old daughter whom she adored.
She should have been thrilled. But instead, she felt tired. Like all those things belonged to someone else.”
36 likes