Start by marking “Journey Through Heartsongs” as Want to Read:
Journey Through Heartsongs

Journey Through Heartsongs

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  371 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The award winning poetry of 11-year-old Mattie Stepanek has touched the lives of many people. Mattie has written movingly and courageously about life and death, love and loss, faith and hope, innocence and joy. His struggle with a rare form of muscular dystrophy has given him wisdom and insight that has moved and inspired everyone from small children to our nation's leader ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Vacation Spot Pub.

To ask other readers questions about Journey Through Heartsongs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey Through Heartsongs

Tammy
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This poetry book is required reading for my children's Tae Kwondo Black Belt Test. It amazing that it was written by an 11 year old boy who had MD. His poetry shows insight into the "big picture" and is more than many adults I know! My 11 year old son and I just finished reading this. He read out loud to me and then we would discuss the poems. The author, Mattie J.T. Stepanek just passed away a few months ago, which made these poems speak even more to my son.
Kaitlyn
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Journey through Heartsongs is one of those books that you notice it is small and without second guessing, you grab it. You’re hoping for a quick, pointless read.

Although, this book is one of the most touching and inspirational books that anyone will ever read. Mattie J.T. Stepnick started his writing at age three and touches many people's lives. He went through many problems in his life, but somehow managed to keep a positive outlook on life. Through thick and thin, Mattie always found a way to
Barbara Wolhart
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My journey, so far

Thanks Mattie for sharing your heart songs with me, this was my first experience with your work. I look forward to the pleasure of the rest. It's a gift that I will enjoy again and again.
Alison Whiteman
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think we could all use some hope right now. Mattie started writing poetry at the age of three. I am not sure I could even speak in full sentences at the age of three. I would have to ask my oldest brother. He might remember. Mattie was amazing.
Bethany Glancey
it wasnt bad.
Patricia
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-poetry
I've known about Mattie's book for quite some time and have seen it on the shelves and finally picked it up, knowing that before the back cover closed, I would have teared up several times--grieving for this little angel named Mattie and for all the other "Jerry's kids" who suffered and continue to suffer from neuromuscular diseases--including a few I had known in my lifetime, having grown up in a world knowing children with neuromuscular disease. I started the book, I was surprised that many of ...more
Bethany
It is amazing to me that this young boy had such a profound sense of himself and the world around him. I have several favorite poems in this collection:
Prayer for a Journey
About the Author
A Handful of Mattie (such a clever and beautiful poem and illustration)
Philosophy Glass (I hope to be more optimistic myself and view my glass as half full)
On Being a Champion

The followig poems are so heart-wrenching, yet they are so powerful when you stope to thing about how aware and how wise Mattie was at ag
Crystal Smith
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful testament to trials and hardships that we face in life! I've been in love with Mattie's writing since I was a child. When I was ten or eleven years old I received one of his books as a birthday present and I've cherished it ever since.

This book was no different, the portrait he paints of God and his creation is a thing of absolute beauty. But what really broke me was his writing on his brother and sister, his desire to play with them and swing up to heaven to visit them left me
Caitlin
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-4050
Summary:

This is a book of poetry written by a little boy who suffers from a rare form of muscular dystrophy. In his poems he talks about losing his three older siblings, who also suffered and died from the same condition that he has. He also talks about heaven, and being thankful, and about growing up.

How I would use this book with students:
You would not be able to read all of these poems aloud because; a lot of them have religious values. However, I would pick a few like “Kindergarten-itis”
Elyana Loza
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Journey Through Heartsongs is an awesome book. The author Mattie J.T. is a great writer he was born with some kind of disease and he knows he is going to die, this is what makes the book more interesting. Mattie write about things that have happened in his life and things that he knows will happen. I really recommend this book even if you don't like poetry I swear you will fall in love with this book. If you are the kind of person who likes sad stories I recommend this book.
  • Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs
  • Anna Banana: 101 Jump Rope Rhymes
  • Furry Logic: A Guide to Life's Little Challenges
  • The Living Fire
  • Hope Will Find You: My Search for the Wisdom to Stop Waiting and Start Living
  • My Dog Does My Homework!
  • Book Business: Publishing Past, Present and Future
  • Amazing Peace: A Christmas Poem
  • If I Ran the School
  • Journey to the Heart: Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul
  • Put the Book Back on the Shelf: A Belle and Sebastian Anthology
  • I'm Still Here in the Bathtub: Brand New Silly Dilly Songs
  • The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself
Matthew Joseph Thaddeus Stepanek, known as Mattie Stepanek, was an American poet, who had six books of poetry and one book of essays all reach The New York Times bestsellers list. He became a peace advocate and motivational speaker, and lobbied on Capitol Hill on behalf of peace, people with disabilities, and children with life-threatening conditions.

Stepanek suffered from a rare form of muscular
More about Mattie J.T. Stepanek...
“...if you live feeling like
Your glass is half empty, well,
It may as well be empty all the way.”
24 likes