Start by marking “The World of Venice: Revised Edition” as Want to Read:
The World of Venice: Revised Edition

The World of Venice: Revised Edition

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A fascinating exploration of the history, sights, seasons, arts, food, and people of an incomparable city. “A highly intelligent portrait of an eccentric city, written in powerful prose and enlivened by many curious mosaics of information...a beautiful book to read and to possess” (The Observer). New Foreword by the Author. Index.
Published May 12th 1995 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The World of Venice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Venice

Carol Smith
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
The husband and I visited both Trieste and Venice earlier this year (before then setting off for two weeks of fine walking in Slovenia). I read J. Morris' Trieste and The Meaning of Nowhere while in Trieste and lapped up its languid, rich portrayal of that faded Habsburg port. We then fell in love with La Serenissima and I determined to read Morris's classic treatment of Venice upon our return. I was expecting a work of a similar quality and style, but it just can't compare.

It's so....listy. Li
Kilian Metcalf
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My dream trip. My traveling days are done, but if I had just one more trip in me, it would be to Venice. My first glimpse of the city was through an old movie called Dangerous Beauty about the famous literary courtesan Veronica Franco. The story was interesting, but even more were the sights of the city.

I fell in love with La Serenissima and have read everything I could get my hands on, fiction and non-fiction. This is one of the best non-fiction titles I have read. From the history to the stor
matteo
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The original version was published in 1960, and the writing seems of a different time. It is lyrical with some unexpected humor. The chapter setup doesn't necessarily flow, and it took me a good half of the book to get into the writing style--or maybe the second half of the book, and especially the last few chapters, was just more interesting. Regardless, if you have any interest in Venice, this is a pretty fascinating read. It covers history, style, art, architecture, customs, people, religion, ...more
Caro
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: venice
Usually I reserve 5 stars for a life-changing book - but this deserves it for being so well written. Read it before you go to get a feel for the city, read it afterwards to savor what you and Morris have seen and to mark places you'll need to see next time. I can't resist one quote that exemplifies her sharp eye and love of language (I recommend reading it aloud for the full effect):
And around the corner, beside the Grand Canal, there lies the incomparable fish market of Venice, a glorious, wet
Ginger Williams
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jan Morris writes beautifully about a beautiful city. Not your typical travel guide but more like meandering through Venice with a good and interesting friend. I've only been to Venice once. Something very sad happened to me there - my brother told me he was dying. I thought I would never want to go back there but this book makes me want to go back and see all that I missed.

My only criticism of the book is that Ms. Morris is coy about her personal life there; makes allusions to things left unexp
Nathan Zachary
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
the tail of a lover and city. a titillating love story of the human love of a city.

The only way to appreciate a country in the right way is to first learn about its numbed people.

Jan morris or is it James Morris (mentions it's old name of james morris - man? woman? hermaphrodite?) should move to France to explains its shitty people. Or leave it up to Lloyde Christmas "the french are assholes"
Bill
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
In my usual fashion, when we decided to take a cruise beginning in Venice to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, I consumed everything I could about Venice. Eventually I came across this little gem. Jan Morris' writing is excellent - I absolutely absorbed this fantastic 'travelogue'.
Tracy
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I foresee another trip in my future.
Christine
Dec 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Reading again -- This book is hard to get into; but if you love history, you will love this book~ It sits on my bistro table at all times...
Mary Ann
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
a great read in preparation for our visit there!
Terence Manleigh
Well-written, evocative portrait of a vital, lived-in Venice that has probably ceased to exist.
Mike Wallace
Jun 10, 2015
Carl
Feb 23, 2009
Mark Patton
rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2014
  • On Persephone's Island: A Sicilian Journal
  • Pagan Holiday: On the Trail of Ancient Roman Tourists
  • The Kindness of Strangers
  • No Vulgar Hotel: The Desire and Pursuit of Venice
Jan Morris previously wrote under the name "James Morris".

Jan Morris is a British historian, author and travel writer. Morris was educated at Lancing College, West Sussex, and Christ Church, Oxford, but is Welsh by heritage and adoption. Before 1970 Morris published under her former name, "James Morris", and is known particularly for the Pax Britannica trilogy, a history of the British Empire, and
More about Jan Morris...