Start by marking “The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed” as Want to Read:
The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed

The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  559 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Did Patrizia Reggiani murder her ex-husband, Maurizio Gucci, in 1995 because his spending was wildly out of control? Did she do it because her glamorous ex was preparing to marry his mistress, Paola Franchi? Or is there a possibility she didn't do it at all?

In this gripping account of the ascent, eventual collapse, and resurrection of the Gucci dynasty, Sara Gay Forden tak
Published October 9th 2001 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The House of Gucci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Gucci

Nina Ive
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Do you remember the Gucci canvas bags with the green and red straps? I really wanted one of those bags, although the ones I saw were probably all knock-offs. This book revealed that the revenue from that product line alone was worth $100 million dollars!

When Maurizio Gucci took control of the Gucci empire in the mid 90’s after he outmanoeuvred his uncle and cousins in a hostile takeover, he decided that those bags were too low brow for Gucci and ordered that the product line be cut overnight. T
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
The family drama and murder of Maurizio Gucci were the most interesting parts of this book. Unfortunately the business history drags the book down. Forden also seems to get a bit off track at points. When telling of how designer Tom Ford came to work for Gucci, she delves into his personal history. While fairly interesting, it didn't seem terribly germane to the story.
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I picked up this book and scanned the first few pages, I thought the story would merely be a sensationalistic expose of the Gucci family. However, I looked through the Bibliographical Notes at the book's end and found an impressive list of references regarding not only the Gucci family itself, but also the financial and corporate history of LVMH, Ferragamo and other fashion giants. The first few pages are an attention-grabber, and I think the book is hard to put down once one really gets in ...more
mika takemura
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
although it is a non-fiction book, the GUCCI family is so fascinating and unimaginable that it was like watching a soap opera.
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Drama! Like a True Hollywood Story on E!, so it's a bit silly but interesting read.
Cat Ellington
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sara Gay Forden brings her readers one helluva scandalous exposé in The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed. Here, the author takes you on a whirlwind trip to the luxuriously exotic Florence, Italy, where she unfolds a page-turning tale of the mayhem that ravaged one of the greatest, and most undeniably opulent family dynasties to ever be founded in the fashion industry: The House of Gucci.

This exalted tell-all goes behind the scenes to reveal the gripping
Elizabeth Licata
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book tells the history of the fashion house Gucci, from its founding in 1921 to 2000. The subtitle of The House of Gucci is “A Sensational story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed”. I thought that would be an exaggeration. It was not. In fact, it might have understated how bonkers the situation was.

Gucci was a family owned business, with leadership passed down from father to sons. There were multiple sons who then also had multiple sons. The leadership became diluted and fragmented, wi
Rogue Reader
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: consumerism
My first exposure to luxury goods, the powerhouse of fashion and design. Murder, madness, glamour, greed is right.
Meghan Moore
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't care about complicated business dealings. I like true crime. This was 400 pages of business stuff and 100 pages of other interesting stuff. It also took me forever to finish it. #regrets
From small family leather working business selling hand bags and shoes to multi-national conglomerate; the road was a difficult one for the Gucci family, and a lot of other small family businesses as they were bought out of their own businesses by huge conglomerates. Gucci did well when it was the founder Guccio Gucci and his sons. His son Aldo put the business on the international level with stores in Italy, the U.S. and Asia and a variety of products besides the Gucci hand bags and loafers. Wh ...more
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I felt as if the House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour and Greed by Sara G. Forden was a high drama, intense book.
This book covers what happened in the Gucci dynasty from the brutal murders to the glamourous lifestyles.
One think I did not like about this book was the perspective it was written form. I feel as if the book was written from the perspective of someone living in Italy at the time who knew the Gucci family, the book would have been easier to feel involved i
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't know how Domenico De Sole kept his sanity through all those years at Gucci. The family is nuttier than the Versaces. It does show, by comparison, just how important Santo Versace was to that house, since it was the lack of a Santo that finally lost Maurizio Gucci control of his own family business.

Bernard Arnault, unsurprisingly, comes across as a huge dick. Ditto to Prada's Patrizio Bertelli, although the story of him throwing such a fit in his office that a Prada bag went flying out th
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great read. Highly recommended and great effort for the first time author. The book is written in a way that we feel as if we are in the thick of incidents. There is never a dull moment in this book.
This book provides an insightful look into the history and development of the House of Gucci, from how the business started, the Gucci family success and turmoil, and the recent comeback and dominance of Gucci. You read about Gucci's humble beginning, the personalities in the family, the on
Dana Delamar
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating account of the rise of the Gucci family and the machinations within it that nearly destroyed the Gucci empire. Just about every member of the family is a "character" to the Nth degree, and Forden captures them all vividly. The book starts with the murder of Maurizio Gucci, but that's not the only sensational story within these pages. Forden somehow manages to make every twist and turn of the Gucci business fascinating, and the squabbles between the family members are entertaining a ...more
Heather G
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Don't remember how I picked up this book but it's been on my shelf since 2001. Describes business and a soap opera but is all about fashion too (which I'm not into but it's still interesting). Gucci had many firsts in the fashion industry and this book covered the company's history along with the family characters, squabbles, fortunes, and murder. It's always amazing how unhappy materially-blessed people can be.
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting learning about how the company started, the family feuds, bankruptcy, how it got sold, etc. and of course the murder of Maurizio, the last Gucci that was in charge of the company before he sold it.
I had no idea that Gucci was the reason for the demise in the B. Altman department stores!
As interesting as learning all this was, it took a while to get through the book. I hated the writing style and felt like I was reading a text book.
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Read for book club. As the only guy with a group of girls I was surprised I was the only one who finished this outside of the girl who chose it. The first half that detailed the rise of the Gucci fashion house I found incredibly boring. The second half that dealt with the family backstabbing was more interesting, but overall this book is only for those truly interested in the history of fashion.
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Had been meaning to read this for a few years and am glad I finally got to it. Real-life murder mystery in such a glamorous industry setting. Surprised I don't remember hearing about it in the news back in the 80's. Actually it made me long for a Gucci handbag and some shoes! Especially impressed with Tom Ford. Plenty of business lessons intertwined -- which was Yiwen's point when she gave it to me for my MBA graduation.
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
A decent read but too much focus on the finances of Gucci and too little on the murder itself (the supposed focal point of the story, if the back cover is to be believed) for my taste. I started skipping portions of chapters that went on and on about the financial state of the Gucci companies over the years.
May 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
interesting at times but terribly easy to put down this book has been on my nightstand for over a year. picking it up seemed a task but I always generally liked it but not drawn to it. it was definitely a reminder that a label and a brand are only that and there are much more worthwhile things to spend money on.
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
This book talks more about the family fighting and ultimately the business deals that took the Gucci Company out of control of the Gucci family. Lots of business talk, but I'd give it a hearty "ehhhhhhh..."
Denise Atwood
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great intrigue with Italy and fashion, I may give it five stars but I am not done yet!

Definitely worth finishing, it is a lot of detail but fascinating story about fashion, Italy, Paris and the time frame of the 60's to the 90's
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fashion
I am a former employee of the Chicago flagship store on Michigan Avenue. I was interested in the subject, but the author told the story with redundancy after redundancy. The book could have been half the size and still told the story.
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
i did not know a lot about the house of gucci until i read this book. it was an easy read, I think I read it in one night..but very interesting at the same time. it takes a book like this for people to understand the true madness that families, like Gucci, go through.
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes and more yes! This book was ten kinds of entertaining. This book is the equivalent of reading the Real Housewives, except you can still feel smug about not watching reality TV. There is so much drama in this book. I loved every page of it. Please read it.
Nov 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I've heard they are going to make a movie out of this story and it was really interesting. However it was super hard to keep track of all the family members especially since a lot of their names were 2nd and 3rd generations old. Definitely wasn't a quick read for me but it was a good one.
Sep 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
I read through the first 30 or so pages and got bored. I didn't finish the book. I honestly thought that it was going to be more interesting than I thought it was. I enjoy history, but I didn't care about any of the history that was in this book.
Sarah Dawidowski
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
A little bit slow to start, but it was enjoyable to learn about the history of the Gucci family and the story of how Giovanni was betrayed.
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
the first child in my bag family is a black pleated leather Gucci clutch. viva italia!
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure that I would like this book, but found it interesting to learn the rise and fall of the Gucci empire. Who doesn't love a little murder and fashion??
  • Front Row: Anna Wintour: The Cool Life and Hot Times of Vogue's Editor in Chief
  • The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever
  • The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947-1957
  • The Beautiful Fall: Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris
  • Chanel: A Woman of Her Own
  • Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster
  • Dressing Marilyn: How a Hollywood Icon Was Styled by William Travilla
  • Fashion Babylon
  • In Vogue: An Illustrated History of the World's Most Famous Fashion Magazine
  • War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden: Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry