Start by marking “What's the Weather Inside?” as Want to Read:
What's the Weather Inside?

What's the Weather Inside?

Here are more than 120 hysterical, philosophical, rhetorical, and commonsensical poems and pictures that explore the perfectly not-so-perfect world of picky kids, Miss Muffet's revenge, magic homework wands, yellow snow, and Sunday's sundaes!

New York Times bestselling author Karma Wilson and renowned New Yorker cartoonist Barry Blitt have created a brilliantly entertaini
Published March 10th 2009 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about What's the Weather Inside?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's the Weather Inside?

Xinxin
Apr 25, 2015 Xinxin rated it really liked it
This is a new collection of “100 outrageously silly yet sometimes philosophic poems for children”, just as the author, Karma Wilson announced on her blog.
Karma said that she likes the style of Shel Silverstein, so she tried to imitate him in this book. Therefore, we can see her delivering of plenty of humors in her poems. But, comparing Shel Silverstein, Karma is sweeter and has less mischiefs in her poems.
Barry Blitt's is the illustrator of this book who did a great job here too. His energetic
Kate Hastings
Apr 07, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 2-5 poetry humor
Shelves: poetry
Move over Prelutsky and Silverstein. Make room for Karma Wilson and this hilarious collection of poetry.
Rosa Cline
Sep 27, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Personally I was disappointed in this book, due to loving her "BEAR" books so well. Poetry isn't my favorite thing to read but I will read it if it catches my attention and written by a favorite author thus why I checked this out for myself and my grandbaby. But the humor was different than what I enjoy. Written in the same format as Shel Silverstein's books. Which is good... but just not my humor.
Becky
Mar 11, 2009 Becky rated it liked it
What's The Weather Inside? is a playful poetry book by Karma Wilson, a writer whose picture books you may be familiar with already. Wilson dares her readers to read the book--challenges them to rethink their stance on poetry being boring. Taking the direct approach, she issues "I dare ya" right there on page two. Some of her poems are playful; others silly; but a few are genuinely thoughtful or serious. I enjoyed her series of poems, "What Your Dog Might Be Thinking," "What Your Cat Might Be Thi ...more
Anna
Dec 18, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: dec2012, picture, poetry
What's the weather inside? is a great book for people learning or wanting to read poetry. The poems range form nursery rhyme twists to high depth poems about the world. It's suitable for all age groups and is very helpful when learning poetry. The author has incorporated rhyming in here to help the reader understand the poems easier.

I picked up this book because I wanted to read some poems. I finished this book because I wanted to see which of the poems where better in my opinion.

I would recomme
Diljodh
read
Bridget R. Wilson
Jun 04, 2010 Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
A great collection. I couldn’t stop reading. I have several favorites. I especially liked the meta-poems. I can relate to “Forgotten Poems” because it often happens to me. Kids will be highly entertained with this collection. The illustrations were great—they almost told their own story. My favorite poems are:

“What’s the Weather inside?”
“Onomatopoeia”
“Golden Eggs”
“Word Play”
“Forgotten Poems”
“Haunted House”
“Hippo-what-a-mess!”
Apr 27, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of various funny poems that make you laugh out loud. I feel that many of the poems are easy for the students to relate to as they have to do with homework, food, school, etc. This would be great for read aloud, shared reading, or mentor text for poem unit in 4 or 5 grade.

Award: Maine Student Book Award Master List
Marcie
Jul 05, 2010 Marcie rated it it was amazing
I liked this enough to pull poems and read them to the 5th graders who love Shel Silverstein. Quite a few followed with their own readings. Found it last school year but there are a few great beginning of the school year read aloud and shared reading poems. Montana author.
Molly
Apr 15, 2009 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: funny
Karma is definately going for the shell silverstein vibe and it is good just not quite there. Some are really funny but some drop short. I do like that she does get a little gruesome but on line with silverstein. Grades 4+
Brandy Gilbertson
This collection of poems was awesome! They were very easy to read and provided a lot of humor through the print and the illustrations. My favorite was, what your cat might be thinking.

*Book from text
Heather
Mar 18, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: jnon-fiction
I really wanted to love this collection of poems by Karma Wilson. I mean, come on, it's Karma Wilson! But instead I was only mildly amused by a handful of the poems and the others really left me wanting more.
Handd51
Nov 07, 2010 Handd51 rated it really liked it
It isn't quite Shel Siverstein, but it's pretty darn close. The jacket is correct: "more than 120 hysterical, philosophical, rhetorical and commonsensical poems & pictures..." Kids will love it.
Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾
Dec 21, 2010 Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ rated it really liked it
This was one of my sister's favorites. She and I loved the humorous poems!!=] Though they could be a little gross =}
Tammy
Aug 29, 2011 Tammy rated it liked it
Some poems deserve four stars, but some of the poems were just "ok". Fun way to introduce poetry to children.
Emily
May 12, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
This is one I want to add to my poetry collection. The play on words is humorous and will get students to love poetry!
Jessica
Aug 14, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Fun poems. Some of them are a little old for my kids (5 and 3), but most are great.
Mary
Jun 09, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, poetry
A great book of funny poems with illustrations that really fit the poems.
Denise
Jan 29, 2009 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: jnf
This is a fun book of poetry for early elementary and beyond.
Julie
Apr 02, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
really cute poems by the author of "bear snores on"
Chloe
Jul 26, 2012 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Funny rhyming tongue twisters!
Marla
Jun 05, 2010 Marla rated it liked it
Maine Student Book Award Nominee 2010
Jen H.
May 15, 2009 Jen H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Fun collection of fun and funny poems.
Marie
Mar 22, 2009 Marie rated it really liked it
Poetry kids will have fun with!
Ouna John
Ouna John marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Simin
Simin marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Zabi
Zabi marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Shilpa Agarwal
Shilpa Agarwal marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...