Start by marking “What's the Weather Inside?” as Want to Read:
What's the Weather Inside?
Preview

What's the Weather Inside?

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Here are more than 120 hysterical, philosophical, rhetorical, and commonsensical poems and pictures that explore the perfectly not-so-perfect world of picky kids, Miss Muffet's revenge, magic homework wands, yellow snow, and Sunday's sundaes!

New York Times bestselling author Karma Wilson and renowned New Yorker cartoonist Barry Blitt have created a brilliantly entertaini
Published March 10th 2009 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about What's the Weather Inside?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's the Weather Inside?

Kate Hastings
Apr 07, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 2-5 poetry humor
Shelves: poetry
Move over Prelutsky and Silverstein. Make room for Karma Wilson and this hilarious collection of poetry.
Rosa Cline
Personally I was disappointed in this book, due to loving her "BEAR" books so well. Poetry isn't my favorite thing to read but I will read it if it catches my attention and written by a favorite author thus why I checked this out for myself and my grandbaby. But the humor was different than what I enjoy. Written in the same format as Shel Silverstein's books. Which is good... but just not my humor.
Becky
What's The Weather Inside? is a playful poetry book by Karma Wilson, a writer whose picture books you may be familiar with already. Wilson dares her readers to read the book--challenges them to rethink their stance on poetry being boring. Taking the direct approach, she issues "I dare ya" right there on page two. Some of her poems are playful; others silly; but a few are genuinely thoughtful or serious. I enjoyed her series of poems, "What Your Dog Might Be Thinking," "What Your Cat Might Be Thi ...more
Anna
What's the weather inside? is a great book for people learning or wanting to read poetry. The poems range form nursery rhyme twists to high depth poems about the world. It's suitable for all age groups and is very helpful when learning poetry. The author has incorporated rhyming in here to help the reader understand the poems easier.

I picked up this book because I wanted to read some poems. I finished this book because I wanted to see which of the poems where better in my opinion.

I would recomme
Diljodh
read
Bridget R. Wilson
A great collection. I couldn’t stop reading. I have several favorites. I especially liked the meta-poems. I can relate to “Forgotten Poems” because it often happens to me. Kids will be highly entertained with this collection. The illustrations were great—they almost told their own story. My favorite poems are:

“What’s the Weather inside?”
“Onomatopoeia”
“Golden Eggs”
“Word Play”
“Forgotten Poems”
“Haunted House”
“Hippo-what-a-mess!”
This book is full of various funny poems that make you laugh out loud. I feel that many of the poems are easy for the students to relate to as they have to do with homework, food, school, etc. This would be great for read aloud, shared reading, or mentor text for poem unit in 4 or 5 grade.

Award: Maine Student Book Award Master List
Marcie
I liked this enough to pull poems and read them to the 5th graders who love Shel Silverstein. Quite a few followed with their own readings. Found it last school year but there are a few great beginning of the school year read aloud and shared reading poems. Montana author.
Molly
Apr 15, 2009 Molly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: funny
Karma is definately going for the shell silverstein vibe and it is good just not quite there. Some are really funny but some drop short. I do like that she does get a little gruesome but on line with silverstein. Grades 4+
Brandy Gilbertson
This collection of poems was awesome! They were very easy to read and provided a lot of humor through the print and the illustrations. My favorite was, what your cat might be thinking.

*Book from text
Heather
I really wanted to love this collection of poems by Karma Wilson. I mean, come on, it's Karma Wilson! But instead I was only mildly amused by a handful of the poems and the others really left me wanting more.
Handd51
It isn't quite Shel Siverstein, but it's pretty darn close. The jacket is correct: "more than 120 hysterical, philosophical, rhetorical and commonsensical poems & pictures..." Kids will love it.
Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾
This was one of my sister's favorites. She and I loved the humorous poems!!=] Though they could be a little gross =}
Tammy
Some poems deserve four stars, but some of the poems were just "ok". Fun way to introduce poetry to children.
Emily
This is one I want to add to my poetry collection. The play on words is humorous and will get students to love poetry!
Jessica
Fun poems. Some of them are a little old for my kids (5 and 3), but most are great.
Mary
A great book of funny poems with illustrations that really fit the poems.
Denise
Jan 29, 2009 Denise rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: jnf
This is a fun book of poetry for early elementary and beyond.
Julie
really cute poems by the author of "bear snores on"
Chloe
Funny rhyming tongue twisters!
Marla
Maine Student Book Award Nominee 2010
Jen H.
Fun collection of fun and funny poems.
Marie
Poetry kids will have fun with!
Kesha
Kesha marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Viviana Sales
Viviana Sales marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Queencie Quiboyen
Queencie Quiboyen marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Stays Up for Christmas Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies