Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Hermetica: The Lost Wisdom of the Pharaohs” as Want to Read:
The Hermetica: The Lost Wisdom of the Pharaohs
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Hermetica: The Lost Wisdom of the Pharaohs

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  389 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The first easily accessible translation of the esoteric writings that inspired some of the world?s greatest artists, scientists, and philosophers.

Here is an essential digest of the Greco-Egyptian writings attributed to the legendary sage-god Hermes Trismegistus (Greek for thrice-greatest Hermes)?a combination of the Egyptian Thoth and the Greek Hermes.

The figure of Herme
...more
Paperback, 192 pages
Published December 26th 2008 by TarcherPerigee (first published January 1st 1384)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Hermetica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hermetica

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-10)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Mohammad Ali

به نظرم کتاب گزیده ی خوبی است برای آشنایی با بنیادهای تفکر هرمسی و احتمالا فهم پیوندهای آن با جریان های آینده ی تفکر غرب - یعنی هم قرون وسطی و هم رنسانس به بعد. بشخصه برای من از این جهت هم جالب بود که تمایز آن را با تفکر دنیاستیز و ثنوی گنوسی درک کنم - البته علی رغم تشابه ها در مباحث سعادت شناسانه

مترجم در مقدمه ای نسبتا مفصل به حضور تفکر هرمسی در جهان اسلام پرداخته است و الحق اشارات مفید زیادی هم در نوشتارش وجود دارند اما به نظر می آید متون گزیده شده توسط مترجمان انگلیسی چندان گویای آن جنبه هایی
...more
Monier
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب متون هرمس "حكمة الفراعنة المفقودة"

"مرفأ السلام ينتظر اولئك الذين نهضوا لتحدي الجسد"

اي شخص بدء يبحث في العلوم الروحانية والصوفية في كل الاديان وانتقل برحلته عبر الزمن
اكيد سمع اسم تحوت او هرمس مثلث العظمة اله الحكمة عن قدماء المصريين
وده لانه يشاع طول الوقت انه ابو العلوم الروحانية واستاذها والكاتب الاول في تلك العلوم
واللي اتنقلت بعد كدة لكل العالم
وخرج منها المدارس الروحانية المختلفة
نصوص تحوت عمليا مفقودة يشاع انه هناك كتاب مدون بخط يده مفقود في اسرار الحياة والخليقة

تحوت فعلياً هو المسيح ا
...more
Heidi The Hippie Reader
I have read some of the teachings contained in this book from The Kybalion by the Three Initiates but that book was more interpretation than actual verses from the Hermetica. I think it's important that this translation was taken directly from the Egyptian writings rather than from a Greek or Latin version of the Egyptian. It's confusing enough material without having additional obfuscation through inaccurate or warped translation.

In some places, I found Freke and Gandy's brief introductions to
...more
Betsy Robinson
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this book for the second time after it beckoned to me from my bookshelf in the middle of my aerobics workout. Since I always heed such beckonings, once I finished jumping around, I wiped off the sweat and pulled the book out from under the pile. And once again I am moved by the clarity of the introduction and history, and then by the subsequent explanations before the easily accessible translations of ancient texts. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in philosophy and ...more
Victoria
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-and-read, loved, 1300s
Life changing read, I felt it to my soul. Sadly this is not well known or well accepted in todays society... <3
David
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This book is a collection of excerpts from a couple texts of the Alexandrian Gnostic era, mostly from the Corpus Hermeticum. I've been hoping to run across a copy of the Corpus Hermeticum for a few months, but stumbled onto this book instead and it ended up being a nice introduction to Hermeticism. The authors extracted pieces of the writings of Hermes Trismegistus and gathered them into chapters devoted to certain themes. So while this book is not a true-to-form copy of the Corpus Hermeticum, i ...more
أسماء
هرمس مثلث العظمة، أو تحوت، الحكيم المصري، وربما كان اليهودي أخنوخ، وربما كان نبي الله إدريس.
كلٌ يريد احتكار هذا الحكيم القديم لنفسه، ولقلة المعلومات والغموض الذي يكتنف النصوص التي تسمى بالهرمسيات، فلا أحد يستطيع الجزم من يكون هذا الحكيم بالضبط؟ وما أصله؟ وهل هو فعلًا كان موجودًا أم أنه خليط من خرافات وقليل من الحقائق.

الهرمسيات أو متون هرمس هي نصوص تحكي عن فلسفة تحوت أو هرمس في الكون والخلق والعقل.

وكما ذكر الكاتب فقد استقى من هذا الفِكر مشاهير ومفكرين عبر التاريخ كليوناردو دافينشي، مايكل انجلو، ر
...more
Rehab
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كان المفترض ان المؤلف يفصل ما بين متون هرمس وبين تعقيبه عليها احيانا كنت بتوه بين الاتنين ومقدرش افرق بينهم
قرأته للمرة الثانية واستمتعت جدا بالكتاب والمتون رائعة في وصف علاقة الانسان بربه وصراع الجسد والروح 2/2/2016
Joshua Silverman
This book is a collection of texts from various Hermetic readings, however not the entire collection of Hermetic readings. The authors admit that a collection of all of the readings would be too dense for your average reader. They give a decent, although superficial in some places, introduction on the background of these readings and the impact they have had on other religions, science, philosophy, etc.

The bulk of the book consists of 20 chapters on the Hermetic texts. Each chapter contains a 2
...more
Joanna
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I sadly don't understand anything about this stuff! This is a thin book, pulling out some choice bits out of what I assume is a much, much larger and even harder to comprehend text written by Hermes Trismegistus, whomever you believe him (they?) to be.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius in a New English Translation, with Notes and Introduction
  • The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age (Routledge Classics)
  • Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for Success
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • The Forge and the Crucible: The Origins and Structure of Alchemy
  • Talisman: Sacred Cities, Secret Faith
  • Egyptian Religion: Egyptian Ideas of the Future Life
  • The Key to the True Kabbalah
  • Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • The Complete Magician's Tables
  • The Book of Ceremonial Magic
  • The Elixir & the Stone: The Tradition of Magic & Alchemy
  • From Atlantis to the Sphinx
  • The Magus: A Complete System of Occult Philosophy
  • The Gnostic Discoveries: The Impact of the Nag Hammadi Library
  • Kebra Nagast (the Glory of Kings)
  • Holy Science
  • Isis Unveiled
5383
Timothy Freke has an honors degree in philosophy and is the author of more than twenty books on world spirituality. He lectures and runs experiential seminars throughout the world exploring gnosis. For information, see timothyfreke.com. Both Freke and Gandy live in England and are the authors of five previous books, including The Jesus Mysteries and Jesus and the Lost Goddess.
More about Tim Freke...

No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »