Start by marking “Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros” as Want to Read:
Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros

Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  337 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In this far-ranging and heartening collection, Derrick Jensen gathers conversations with environmentalists, theologians, Native Americans, psychologists, and feminists, engaging some of our best minds in an exploration of more peaceful ways to live on Earth. Included here is Dave Foreman on biodiversity, Matthew Fox on Christianity and nature, Jerry Mander on technology, a ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Listening to the Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listening to the Land

Ryan Mishap
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
You. read. Now.

The people interviewed in this, and what they say, will give you a good overview of what problems we face in our current civilization and how we can think about them in order to find ways to solve the problems, prevent them, and transform society. A great starting point for the would-be environmentalist, a reality check for glassy eyed, greenwashed liberals, and completely necessary.
Constantine
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: valley
Fantastic essays on spiritual relationships to ecology, including chapters which focus on (relatively) contemporary issues, and some which dive deep into anti-capitalism, ecofeminism, deep ecology, biomimicry, and more. Rants are few and tempered by intentional disclosure, and the chapters by Christopher Mannes and Thomas Berry are among my favorites.
Cherie
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Venessa and Wanda
B Interviews with powerful individuals about the earth, environmentalism, spirituality and the earth. At the beginning, I wasn't got into it but then, it got awesome and I was sad when it ended.
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
It only took me a year and a half to read this book from cover to cover, eight years from the time I bought it. I picked it up one blustery fall day when I was particularly missing being a student. This collection of essays was just enough to whet my appetite for theory and philosophy, but it is not the kind of book you read cover to cover. It definitely takes time to absorb. Some of the thinkers interviewed in the collection were more memorable than others; some stretched the bounds of abstract ...more
Charlie
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this was a very thought provoking book showing the vastness of environmental thought that exists in the world. While I don't agree with all points I do believe that it is valuable it helping a person identify what they think at the present time.
Leah
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I love all of Derrick Jensen's writings. Not always the most uplifting, especially those like Culture of Make-Believe, but always very insightful and accurately critical of our culture.
David
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In my top 20, I think. I found many of the conversations utterly fascinating, heartening, validating, you name it. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn more about why the world is the way it is.
Kerie
There were some interesting thinkers in this book but interview-style stuff is always off-putting for me. I tend to avoid it when possible. Because of that I had a hard time focusing on the book and getting through it. It did give me a lot to think about, despite the lapses into liberal reformism.
Matt
Aug 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Very intriguing interviews from a wide swath of authors, activists and intellectuals.
Trish
Oct 31, 2008 added it
Only got through part of it before i had to give it back. I will return to it though!
Jen
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, essays
amazing!
Eireann
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting selection of interviews. I dug it.
Leslie
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I found it very thought provoking.
Maryanne
Listening to the Land 02102008
Derrick Jensen
Clayne
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Some very good interviews in this book.
Joshua Oshua
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • Ecofeminism
  • In the Absence of the Sacred: The Failure of Technology & the Survival of the Indian Nations
  • Woman and Nature: The Roaring Inside Her
  • Biopiracy: The Plunder of Nature and Knowledge
  • Practice of the Wild
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Powerdown: Options and Actions for a Post-Carbon World
  • A Green History of the World: The Environment & the Collapse of Great Civilizations
  • The Next American Metropolis: Ecology, Community, and the American Dream
  • The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature
Derrick Jensen is an American author and environmental activist living in Crescent City, California. He has published several books questioning and critiquing contemporary society and its values, including A Language Older Than Words, The Culture of Make Believe, and Endgame. He holds a B.S. in Mineral Engineering Physics from the Colorado School of Mines and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Eas ...more
More about Derrick Jensen...