Start by marking “Grails in Action” as Want to Read:
Grails in Action

Grails in Action

For web developers used to wrestling with Java and XML, Grails is a breath of fresh air. Developers are instantly productive, picking up all the benefits of the Ruby-based Rails framework without giving up any of the power of Java.

Grails in Action is a comprehensive look at Grails for Java developers. It covers the nuts and bolts of the core Grails components and is jam-pa
Published June 17th 2009 by Manning Publications (first published May 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Grails in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grails in Action

Rob
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: aspiring Grails developers, but front-end guys should take caution
Shelves: grails, technical, 2010, own
Not to be too much of a self-apologist, but let me preface this review by indicating that my frustration (and hence my lower rating) comes largely from gaps in my own knowledge. But as a result of those gaps, I wasn't able to reap this book's full benefits. So first, what was my impression:

Grails in Action is a fast-paced overview of the Grails platform, with an even quicker overview of the Java-based Groovy language that powers it, and some at-a-glance discussions of some other underlying frame
Greg Stephens
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Good but out of date introduction to Grails
Arthur
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive if not complete list of tutorials and recipes to concur Grails!
So yes, Grails has been inspired by Rails, but even without me knowing much Rails it is evident that Grails is a super feature reach, extensible web framework that utilizes verified, well known components as Spring, Hibernate/GORM, Quartz, Active MQ and more which makes it stands out like on the shoulders of a giant. A very flexible, convention over configuration (makes a lot of heavylifting behind the scenes) system.
Jean Tessier
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
We're using Grails at work. I went through the first chapter and the starting tutorial. I was using Grails 1.1.1, but ran into some snags. The save() method of domain objects didn't work. I downgraded to version 1.1 and it worked fine. I upgraded to version 1.2-M3 (experimental) and it worked, but something failed later on when I introduced a service, as per the example. The section on testing talked about integration tests, but the code samples were for unit tests. The book could have used more ...more
Jean Tessier
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
This update brings it up to Grails 2.3.7. Between final edits and actual publication, Grails is now on version 2.4.2 and some people are already pointing out incompatibilities.

We're still using Grails 1.3.7 at work, so I got to read about all the cool new things in Grails 2 without being able to use any of them. And there is plenty to get excited about! Just about every chapter brought in some new piece that made me wish I could use it in my day-to-day job.

The book itself was much better put tog
Rod Hilton
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Grails In Action is an excellent introduction to Grails. The book starts in Chapter 2 with an example application you might write with Grails (a Twitter clone called Hubbub) and, by the end of that chapter, makes the reader realize he or she just wrote a usable Twitter clone, though one that is admittedly rough around the edges. This illustrates agile principles of iterative development and it helps the reader get somewhat familiar with rails.

The real strength of the book is that every single ch
Dovydas
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before reading I had some experience with Java, Spring, Hibernate.

Book uses example example application Hubbub (twitter clone) to demonstrate all features and where you can use them in real world. I think this teaching method worked well.

This book covers wide range of topics from basics to using NoSql databases. Most Grails chapters provides great depth.

My only gripe is that after books release few month Grails 3 was launched and some chapters aren't relevant anymore, because new version was t
Tom Panning
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: java
An excellent book for going from knowing nothing about Grails to an intermediate programmer with the framework. Even if you don't read the whole thing, you'll get up to speed on the fundamentals early in the book. I haven't read any of the "in Action" series before, but after this book I'm looking forward to reading more of them.
Andy Norris
Given the dearth of available tomes on Grails, I hadn't much choice. As a reference, it's okay. Reading straight through, though, you'll want to make sure you've got a good sized stash of your favorite stimulant handy. I don't know why, but most Manning books are just dryer than grandpa's kisses.
Irwan
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, it, finished, references
this is for last year project
Zach Danielson
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, computing
Excellent tutorial on Grails. I skimmed some of the later sections, but I expect to return to them when I get a little farther in my projects.
Pradeep
A Great book for web developers
John Chilton
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good. This book did a good job explaining grails and even more important making be excited to program in it. I highly recommend this book.
Anusha
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yet another excellent book to refer to. It really helped me a lot, as I am a beginner, and had a lot to learn about this.
David Jacobs