Start by marking “Under the Cajun Moon” as Want to Read:
Under the Cajun Moon

Under the Cajun Moon

New Orleans may be the 'Big Easy,' but nothing about it was ever easy for international business etiquette expert Chloe Ledet. She moved away years ago, leaving her parents and their famous French Quarter restaurant behind. But when she hears that her father has been shot, she races home to be by his side and to handle his affairs'only to learn a long-hidden secret that ch ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Harvest House Publishers (first published August 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Cajun Moon, please sign up.
Beth Mindy Starns Clark wrote a series called The Million Dollar Mysteries. Not exactly "thrillers" but fun books and one is set in NOLA.

Start your review of Under the Cajun Moon
Joleen
I love when a book has so much history that it spurs me to do my own research. Two other books focusing on the Creole and Cajun people have already encouraged this in me. And now Under the Cajun Moon has as well.

The story is about a Chicago business woman (Chloe) called home to Louisiana by her mother who explained that her father (a famous Cajun chef) had been shot and gave Chloe specific instructions about some property he just bought, and for her to meet with his lawyer at the restaurant ASAP
Petrichor
Jul 12, 2019 marked it as dropped
I checked this book out of the library about a week ago. I checked out of this book about 50 pages after that. What was it that did me in? Hard to say. It was either Chloe's bizarre vacillation between "this guy is a dateable prospect" and "men are scum" or the painfully detailed descriptions of Chef Julien's salt-encrusted fish.
Liwayway
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
What a great random find! This story has it all...action, history, romance, CAJUNS, delicious-sounding food, rich festive music, culture, beautiful peaceful scenery, CAJUNS, crime, punishment,faith, humor... Mindy Starns Clark managed to stick a lot of central human themes into one story and make it flow in a way that you can't help but get absorbed in it. There were a lot of pieces where she divulges a lot of information and some parts that could have used more editing, but I didn't mind that. ...more
Andrea Goodson
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I read Whispers of The Bayou I became a fan of Mindy Starns Clark. This book was just as interesting. I absolutely loved the links between present day and historical France/founding of New Orleans. I am an avid fan of history and Mindy did a wonderful job of incorporating facts into this story. To be honest, I think I enjoyed Jacques' part of the novel more than Chloe's! Very good read, it took me a while to get through it which is unusual for me. Though I would blame myself and by busy sch ...more
Donna
May 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
This started out as a solid 3 stars. It peaked my curiosity, but then it digressed from there. The 'damsel in distress' card, along with the 'knight in shining armor' card, was played with a heavy hand. That kind of thing isn't my thing. I also had some problems with the validity of the story line, the romance, and the faith aspect. For me, it didn't feel authentic. I wish it had. It was also predictable from early on. So 2 stars.
Cara
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read almost all of the books by Mindy, first the series (which were fun) then another stand-alone. I like the idea of stand-alone books and these certainly do the trick. This one is filled with mystery, intrigue and the interesting history of New Orleans, among other things. I enjoyed each heart-pounding moment.
Lyn
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED Under the Cajun Moon. I loved the intertwining of the past and the present. I loved the setting and the characters. I could not stop reading till the end. And it was a satisfying believable ending. What more could a reader ask for?
Aerykah
Honestly, I thought I would end up giving this book only 2 stars.
The story didn't pull me in, the characters weren't all that great, I didn't care for the switching between first and third person or the switches between the past, present, & historic parts of the story, I figured out the "bad guy" right away (even though I don't think readers are supposed to figure it out that fast), and I did not like the narrator at all-- mostly because of the accents.
(view spoiler)
Dorothy
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chloe receives a call to come home from her mother that her father has been shot and they don't know if he will live. Upon arrival in New Orleans she is told to go meet with the lawyer before coming to see her dad at the hospital. The next thing Chloe knows she wakes up in a motel room and the lawyer is dead. Who is behind all of this and will her father live??? I really liked this book and it kept you in suspense throughout.
Susan Miller
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
An interesting mystery with historical and religious elements. The plot deviated from a "traditional" paperback mystery and this made the reading worthwhile. The writting was average or I would have rated the book with more stars.

I borrowed this book from the Pines Gergia library system.
Kav
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an exhilarating read! The intrigue doesn't let up. I was spellbound from the compelling opening scene to the astonishing conclusion. An incredible mix of faith, suspense and romance with a whole lot of treasure hunting thrown in. And a dual timeline that takes us back to the early 1700s in France!

And the romance? Be still my heart. Travis is a toe-curling example of hero material. His Cajun accent set my heart hammering. And yes, I could hear him, even though I was reading the words.
Katrina (trinareadsbooks)
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it

There is something to be said about books finding us at the right time. I bought Under the Cajun Moon a couple years ago after loving Whispers of the Bayou by the same author, but after picking it up twice and putting it down, I was contemplating just donating it and being done with the whole thing. However, never the quitter, I figured I’d try one last time.

I’m so glad that I did.

While the first fifty pages were a little slow and it took me a while to warm up to Chloe, once I did this book wa
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Etiquette expert Chloe Leget thought she had escaped her parents and their French Quarter restaurant and built a life for herself. When her father is shot, she is called back down to New Orleans. Instead of rushing to the hospital, her father's lawyer requests her signature on some documents. When she awakes the next morning, she finds herself framed for murder and just a "follow the recipe" clue. Joined by Travis, a quirky Cajun guy, Chloe must put together the ingredients of her father's recip ...more
Stacy
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable Mindy Starns Clark book. I really like the blend of mystery and romance in her books. This one had a historical plot and a current day plot that intertwined, that she jumped back and forth between. I think I liked this one a bit more than some of her others (Shadows of Lancaster County, etc), because it was set in my part of the country (New Orleans and the bayous of South Louisiana). Really good book, hated to see it end :)
Heather Warlick
A clean and fun read that combines treasure hunting and history with mystery and suspense to create such an intriguing read that even if you figure out one component you'll want to keep reading for the rest! The author did throw in some romance that although remained clean for the Christian reader audience was still cheesy and unnecessary in my opinion, but overall I enjoyed this book and would suggest it to anyone looking for a good read ;)
Dort Goodman
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved southeastern Lousiana and southern Mississippi where I grew up. Rarely do I find an author that can put the details down that I've experienced living in the south, but Mindy has done so.
It's a great story and a great storyteller. I didn't see the end coming. It was my first of Clark's books but I went from it to two more in quick succession.
Jenny Mckinney
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Like the other two of her books I have read, I think Mindy Clark writes the perfect novels. This one has an exciting plot of murder and mystery, intrigue and romance. While I figured out the main guilty party earlier than her other books, it still is a fun read and has helped me want to learn more about the Cajun culture. Excellent read.
Leona
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have read several of Mindy Starns Clark's books, and always enjoy them. This one is a real "keeper" on my book shelf, and I will have no problem recommending this to a reader who enjoys Christian mysteries. I look forward to Ms. Clark's next book.
Pat
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good book, very interesting read about Cajun country and its ways. My sister lives in the deep South of Cajun country (we were raised in north Louisiana). The author did a great job of bringing the book to an end. I do enjoy her books. This is the second one I have read.
Carol
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really like this author and she writes a couple of different series. This one had me wondering who was trust worthy or who was not. And I love that the author can tell her stories with no bad language or sex!
Amy Binkerd
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because I had read the Tulip series and loved it. This one did not disappoint! I really like Mindy's writing and her style. I will continue to grab up her books when I see them!
Maile
May 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have liked most of her books. A little romance, mystery, and good values. I thought this one was one her best, kept me guessing.
Melissa
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book set in New Orleans. Mystery, romance, treasure hunting. Clark is a master at combining past and present storylines to meld together into a wonderful story.
Ljjones522
Nov 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is another good book of Mindy Starns Clark. As usual it starts out a little slow but becomes one you can't put down by the end of the book.
Chrissy
I loved this book! Mystery/suspense with romance. It was clean, easy to read, and I liked the characters. You should read it ☺.
Allison
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very fun and clean. I'll read more by this author.
Michelle Kidwell
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, I was drawn into a story, that left me guessing until the end, and took me for a ride I will not forget!!!
Cathy Daniel
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is just impossible to put down! Excellent! Perfect ending (though I'm proud I figured out the bad guy before they did lol)
Rebecca Kelly
May 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had a lot of issues with this book that made me dislike it in the end, despite the writing not actually being that bad. I don’t even know where to begin. I guess first, when I got this book, I didn’t realize it was a Christian book, since that’s not obvious from the description. This is obviously a personal preference, but I don’t like Christian books because they get really preachy. In this book especially, the religious parts seemed forced and random. I didn’t feel like it added anything to ...more
Wendy Sparkes

Wasn't sure I was going to like it to begin with, and I did nearly give up on it. I was rather confused as to what was going on, both in the past and present. Add to that, not only was I confused, but I also wasn't particularly interested in what was happening in France many years before, either.

Something kept me going though, and I'm so glad I stuck with it though because I ended up getting pulled in and enjoying both the past and the present parts.

I really liked the Cajun setting and
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Threads of Suspicion (Evie Blackwell Cold Case, #2)
  • In Too Deep (Dive Team Investigations, #2)
  • The Edge of Recall
  • Promised Land
  • Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • Fire Storm (Kaely Quinn Profiler #2)
  • Strands of Truth
  • Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations, #1)
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)
  • Secrets at Cedar Cabin (Lavender Tides, #3)
  • Vow of Justice (Blue Justice, #4)
  • True Light (Restoration, #3)
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
  • Courting Mr. Emerson
  • The Memory House
  • Last Light (Restoration, #1)
  • A Table by the Window
  • The Case of the Cupid Caper (A Cat in the Attic Mystery, #3)
Mindy Starns Clark is the bestselling author of more than 30 books, both fiction and nonfiction, and has received numerous literary honors, including two Christy Awards and RT Book Review Magazine’s 2012 Career Achievement Award. Mindy and her husband, John, have two adult children and live near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

News & Interviews