Start by marking “Warrior Marks: Female Genital Mutilation and the Sexual Blinding of Women” as Want to Read:
Warrior Marks: Female Genital Mutilation and the Sexual Blinding of Women

Warrior Marks: Female Genital Mutilation and the Sexual Blinding of Women

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  431 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Alice Walker and Pratibha Parmar expose the secret of female genital mutilation, a practice that affects one hundred million of the worlds women. New Introductions by the Authors.
Published February 28th 1996 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Warrior Marks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warrior Marks

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Warrior Marks: Female Genital Mutilation and the Sexual Blinding of Women
Carla
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this after I completed Possessing the Secret of Joy, also by Alice Walker--and I recommend that the two books be read consecutively. Walker and Parmar are on a treasure hunt, to find the roots of the practices of clitoridectomy and infibulation, and tell the stories of victims of the practice, as well as profiles of health and social workers who are trying to put an end to this dangerous, unnecessary practice, which contrary to belief is unsanctioned by any major religion.

Yes, it's a
Eli Poteet
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer
I feel bad about not giving more stars to this book due to the subject matter but really I was not super interested in reading the "making of the movie" journal of walker. The most valuable piece of this book is the collection of interviews in the third part. I'll admit I skimmed the journal entries.
Susan Fetterer
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a difficult book to write about. It was a difficult book to read. The detail is sickening but the world needs to be aware, to rally against, work to end in third world countries.....difficult at best, given centuries of cultural practice. The exploitation of women considered chattel is wrong, no matter where you live.
Cydne B
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Real to the point of pain
Joanie
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
After loving Possessing the Secret of Joy so much I decided to pick up this book too and I was not disappointed. Walker goes to Africa in this book to work with a filmmaker on filming a documentary on female genital mutilation (FGM) They talk with girls who have just been through the proceedure and with their mothers-it's truly gutwrenching. There is the one part that still kills me today- they ask one mother about how much pain her daughter will be in and she says no, that she will have ice ...more
Olive Oyama
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
horrifying and eye-opening. save it for when you really need to cry, or forget about your stupid worries for a while or your lack of sexual fulfillment. how can you ever complain about anything in your life when millions of young baby girls are getting their clitorises brutally cut off? The film she made with Pratibha Parmar is just as beautiful, and emotionally intense.
Nicole
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing book about the horrors of FGM. Learning about the traditions and history behind it, it was eye opening to see just how many girls are subjected to such a horrible act. Everyone must read this!
Cynda
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I read this book in 1993, my eyes were opened. I thanked God that this crime against humanity had not been inflicted upon me by my mother. AnD it happens in the US. By those who are not Islamic, those live in a supposedly enlighteD first world country.
A Lo
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in human rights
I read this book as part of my undergrad in Women's Studies. It is an eye opener. This practice is still a part of many tribal communities today. The significance and prominence of this belief and how it affects so many young women has been a life-changing learning experience for me.
Christina Cathcart
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An important read on the ignorant practice of cutting as an suppression of sexuality, a patriarchal tradition inflicted on women by women out of fear. The journal entries are just heartbreaking.
Kim
Apr 25, 2008 rated it liked it
As you can tell by the title, this isn't a fast read, but if you ever wanted to know more about female genital mutilation, this is a great book.
Kimberly
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
It is shocking to think this is practiced today. It was very eye-opening. It makes me feel very lucky I was born in a time and culture that does not believe in this practice on women.
Amy Knight
Sep 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Every woman should read this and be grateful for what she has and mad as hell about what others don't have.
Mariana
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good book about women making a movie.
JenBen
Mar 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
To say I enjoyed this book is not exactly accurate. It is informative and horrifying at the same time.
nicole
Mar 18, 2008 added it
i used this as a reference to my fgm paper in school. there is a dvd that goes with it too.
Monica
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's a beautiful book, but reading about FGM is very difficult. There were some passages I had to skip because it was all so overwhelming.
Sara
Dec 15, 2009 rated it liked it
where do we draw a line between human rights and respecting a culture as it is?
Benita
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I cried a great deal as I read this book.
Betsy
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Has an accompanying video.
Mo
Jul 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Motivated me to research and learn more about FGM. For a while, it was an issue that I followed very closely - all because of this enlightening book.
Anne
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Breathtakingly disturbing
Zahrah Awaleh
May 15, 2007 rated it liked it
It's made up of diaries, letters, and poems both writers kept whilst filming 'Warrior Marks', about FGM in Africa and in the African diaspora. Very revealing and touching.
Lisa
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a eye opening account of the mutilation that happens in our society- not for the weak hearted!
Elizabeth Fuller

• Speak Out, Black Sisters: Feminism And Oppression In Black Africa
  • The Hidden Face of Eve: Women in the Arab World
  • The Women's War of 1929: Gender and Violence in Colonial Nigeria
  • The Tell-Tale Heart
Alice Walker, one of the United States preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, and ...more