Start by marking “Patterns in the Sand (Seaside Knitters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Patterns in the Sand (Seaside Knitters, #2)

Patterns in the Sand

(Seaside Knitters Society Mystery #2)

The follow-up to Death by Cashmere: next in the new mystery series set in a tight-knit seaside community.

When young fiber artist Willow Adams visits Izzy Chambers's knitting studio, she's immediately embraced by the Seaside knitters, and they see the monthly arts event at Canary Cove as a perfect place to showcase Willow's work. But the idyllic summer in Sea Harbor turn
Published April 28th 2009 by Obsidian (first published 2009)

Start your review of Patterns in the Sand (Seaside Knitters, #2)
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
I love the start of this book, with Willow breaking in to Izzy's shop and then the next door deli owner thinking there is a corpse! (luckily he is wrong on that count), we then have a gentle time until Aidan drops down dead, poisoned and Willow seems to be suspect #1, which the seaside knitters are really not sure about, then there is another homicide and Willow is out of the frame for THAT one - but the clues just don't add up, so the seaside knitters decide to do some snooping, and discover th ...more
Sandra Holladay
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I really enjoy cozies and love a good book that is over way too soon. This wasn’t one of them – it’s an ok read, but it seemed I’d never finish it. Some pros: a couple of the characters really stand out (Birdie and Cass), there were a couple of knitting terms I wasn’t familiar with so looked them up. Cons: someone should have proofread the book for editing errors (can’t list them because I didn’t keep track, but they were quite obvious at the time), twice the author referred to fibers being ‘wov ...more
Susan
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I agree with another viewer who stated that there was more interaction with the characters getting together to eat dinner with each other and the descriptions of cooking than on the mystery itself. This is a book series that you really have to read from the beginning in order to know who everyone is. The character Nell can get a bit much as times, for me. She just seems to find her life in everyone else and a small interest in knitting. I like Izzy way better. I read the first one, but quite a b ...more
Mary
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have visited Sea Harbor, Maine again in this second book of the Seaside Knitters Mystery. Only this time there were 2 murders and it turned out to be one of the people living in Canary Cove! Unheard of!
I found that this book was much better than the first and now I'm looking forward to the next one in this series. It is a good summer beach read, fast moving and just plain good stuff.

Sally Goldenbaum has other series that she has written. I started last night "Murders on Elderberry Road" A stor
Ashley
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting, fiction
Hmm...I'm not entirely sure why I keep reading these books. The writing is okay, and the editing (both for knitting content correctness and basic English grammar) is terrible (FYI, "led" and "lead" are not the same word), but the stories are cute. The same comments I made about the first book regarding food, extra characters, etc., hold true for this book as well. I'll probably read the third because I already have it, but I don't think I'll buy any more. ...more
Jenn
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Knitting fiction and mystery has sprung up all over the place lately. All I have to do is see that knitting is involved and I'll pick up the book to read it.

This one had a fairly captive plot but overall it didn't hold my interest well. The characters didn't seem to come life as in other books. The mystery itself had a nice little twist.

Kathleen
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stumbled on this series and find, with this second book, I simply enjoy the characters, the location and the mystery - very likeable and easy, pleasant read, that features knitting and makes my heart smile and look forward to picking up my needles.
Linda Smatzny
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This time the ladies in the group of friends and knitters have found a new friend, Willow Adams who has recently arrived in town. She is young and full of secrets but when she is a suspect in the murder of an artist the group rallies around. One of Willow's secrets is that she is the daughter of the artist who was murdered. The police discover that she will inherit everything from the artist which moves to the top of the suspect list according to the police. Nell who wants to help Willow enlists ...more
Leah
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the New England beach town setting. I also liked the food and cooking, the knitting, and the friendships. The mystery was okay. I thought this would have been a better story without it, but I was surprised by who the guilty person was.
Martha
Dec 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
I hated this book. I read “Death by Cashmere” because I love knitting, I love Cape Ann, and I love mysteries. I didn’t love that book, but I got “Patterns in the Sand” because of the above reasons and because once I start a series, I want to finish it.

I think maybe “cozies,” a term I learned from reading the reviews here, just aren’t for me. The characters spend an inordinate amount of time discussing how “scrumptious” yarn is and experiencing paroxysms of joy when a new shipment comes in. I’ve
Linda
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
This one was loaned by a friend, and I read it on vacation after my Kindle broke. I won't be reading any others in the series. It was a tedious read, but I finished it. Typos throughout were annoying, as were misuse of "lead" for "led" and other grammatical errors. The first victim's name is Aidan, not Nick, as stated in the blurb here.
I love knitting, and I love mystery novels, but this one was just too contrived. The characters were sympathetic but not developed enough for me to care what happ
Ivy
May 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wish I could give this book 2.5 stars, because it was better than 2 stars, but not worthy of 3. I just never found myself getting attached to the characters. Perhaps the issue is that it was a second in a series, but usually with this kind of cozy mystery you don't necessarily need to read them in order. I won't be perusing any others in this series. It was fine, but not really anything to write home about.
Carol
May 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
I lost interest and stopped reading about a third of the way through. I'm not entirely sure why, but I had some trouble keeping all the artist/shop owner characters straight in my head. And it seemed like much of the "action" took the form of conversations at social gatherings. The plot and characters just didn't pull me in enough to keep going.
Margaret McCamant
May 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
A quick read, one of many (often mystery) novels about groups of knitters. I often feel, as I did here, that knitting is not central to the story. The story is not about the bond among knitters if all they do is pull out their knitting at any free moment or, worse, fondle the yarn as they walk through the store.
Zoe
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting, mysteries
After a promising debut (i.e. better than Maggie Sefton) this second in the series shows it's flaws. The mystery isn't bad, and there is plenty of fiber talk, but with so many characters, it's hard not to notice when every single person speaks the same way. No characterization whatsoever, and while some would argue that is okay for a cozy, I'm not one of them.
Melissa
Sep 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2010
To be fair I actually only got through half of this book before I gave up and realized life is too short to waste time on books you don't really like.
Nolan
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nls-audio
Willow Adams drifts into the town of Sea Harbor because several months earlier, some of its residence had expressed appreciation to her in an email regarding her fiber art. She’s petite and in her early 20s. She literally breaks into Izzy Chambers’s knitting studio and falls asleep in the display window surrounded by yarn and Izzy’s cat.

The Seaside Knitters eagerly adopt her as their newest member. But when a popular art gallery owner is murdered, and when Willow is named the recipient of the ga
Caroline
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not trying to make a yarn pun when I call this 'fluff.' It's fluff, but pleasant fluff.
This one was better plotted than the first one - I kind of fingered the correct murderer in advance, but a red herring led me away from the correct reason, and I didn't expect a little side twist about paintings. The characters were a little more complex.
PS: If the cat likes a person, it's totally a tell.
I have to say, though, after two books I'm getting annoyed by the occasional weird choice of word (thes
Paula Ratcliffe
Angie
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I’ve been enjoying this cozy mystery series. In the first book, we learn about the town and the characters that become the Seaside Knitting group, that gather together and try to solve a mystery. In this book we actually see the group becoming more cohesive as they try and solve the murder of a friend in town.
The characters seem real, yet we know one character Ben, who is a wife of the knitters, who seems to be a high profile person in town that the police actually discuss the case with him. The
Sinda Conrad
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a cozy mystery
In this, the second book in the Seaside Knitters mystery series, the books starts off with Izzy getting a call letting her know that someone is in her Knitting shop laying in the window dead. As she rushes down to find out what is going on, it turns out that the girl is not dead but who has come a long way is not dead but only sleeping in the window. Her name is Willow and as the story progresses a murder is committed of an artist and shop owner. Willow is the chief suspect but the knitters club ...more
Heather
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, just as I enjoyed the first one, Death By Cashmere. I like all of the main characters because they are relatable. What piqued my interest to read it is because I love the idea of a knitting group of friends who are the town super sleuths. I love a good mystery but do not care for the dark side that some of the murder mystery books have these days. This is a charming read if you like a whodunnit mixed in with good food,family/friend fellowship, a coastal community and ...more
Janice  Thompson
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Perplexing Mystery

I gave this book five stars because the twist and turns kept me reading to the end. I couldn't stop reading; I was hooked from the first page. This is an excellent book for someone who likes to read a book in one sitting.
Theresa LeBlanc
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don’t have to be a knitter to love this series - I’m not!

Another delightful edition to a wonderful cozy series! Wonderful town, filled interesting people. Terrific plots. Looking forward to more in this series.
Anna
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
The novel was a fun read and captivating. It had just enough suspense to be exciting, but also enough "fluff" to be an easy beach day read. Recommend for light reading and relaxing literature. No overly heavy topics discussed.
Ellen
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Just okay...seems a little choppy and disjointed. I didn't think there was enough to indicate the character of the person who was eventually revealed to be the murderer. It was not a character I cared about....positively or negatively.
Taylor
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Karen
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was a good story that kept me interested the whole time. Twists and turns that didn't reveal the mystery answer until the very end!
Jewett
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Knitting, food and cats along with murder - what's not to like.
Gail
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a very easy read type mystery. I thought maybe I had it figured out in the end but I was wrong. Look forward to reading more in this series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Lavender Blue Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #21)
  • Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #3)
  • While My Pretty One Knits (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #1)
  • The Book of Candlelight (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #3)
  • Yarn to Go (Yarn Retreat Mystery, #1)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • Silence of the Lamb's Wool (Yarn Retreat Mystery, #2)
  • Dyeing Up Loose Ends (A Knitting Mystery #16)
  • Memories and Murder (Tourist Trap Mysteries #10)
  • Only Skein Deep (A Knitting Mystery #15)
  • Coconut Layer Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #25)
  • A Very Mummy Holiday (Tourist Trap Mysteries #9.5)
  • A Knit before Dying (Tangled Web Mystery #2)
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #7)
  • The Whispered Word (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #2)
  • Steamed Open (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #7)
  • Come Homicide or High Water
Sally Goldenbaum is a philosophy teacher, knitter, editor, and the author of more than two-dozen novels.

Series:
* A Seaside Knitters Mystery

Seaside Knitters Society Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Death By Cashmere (Seaside Knitters, #1)
  • Moon Spinners (Seaside Knitters, #3)
  • A Holiday Yarn (A Seaside Knitters Mystery #4)
  • The Wedding Shawl (Seaside Knitters, #5)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
  • Angora Alibi (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #7)
  • Murder in Merino (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #8)
  • A Finely Knit Murder (Seaside Knitters Mystery, #9)
  • Trimmed With Murder (Seaside Knitters Mystery, #10)
  • Murder at Lambswool Farm (A Seaside Knitters Mystery #11)

News & Interviews