Start by marking “What Lincoln Said” as Want to Read:
What Lincoln Said

What Lincoln Said

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The story of one of Ameri a's most revered presidents—in his own words!

"I could scarcely believe my eyes. By honest work I had earned a dollar." Abraham Lincoln resolved always to work hard and be honest. With much perseverance, he became a lawyer and a politician.

"Just think of such a one as me as president!" he laughed when his wife said he could lead the country.

But Lin
Published December 23rd 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What Lincoln Said, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Lincoln Said

CH13_Lisa Matthews
This book summed up Abraham Lincoln’s childhood, early career and some of his presidential challenges as told in his own words. Upon earning two silver half dollar for rowing two men out to their steamboat, Abe wonder what else could he do if he tried and so begin Abraham Lincoln journey. As an adult her worked several jobs but his most important job that lead to his presidency was that of a lawyer.

What Lincoln Said highlighted a time in American when there were four million slaves in the Unite
Terry
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pb-informational
Learn about Abraham Lincoln's life in his own words. Specific events - like how he earned his first dollar - are presented side by side with some of his most recognizable statements. This picture book uses famous quotes by Abraham Lincoln to tell the story of his life.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.

Kathy Ogg
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read. I enoyed the idea that the author took actual quotes from Lincoln's life and put a context to the statements. It helped me to understand lincoln as a person. Anytime we have a person as famous as Lincoln was, they become larger than life. Thompson brought a human quality to lincoln which other books do not do. This is a great book for young kids that does not rehash lincoln's life but gives a different prespective for kids. I want this for my school.
Liz
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Liked the actual Lincoln quotes that were sprinkled throughout the story. (Would have liked the sources used. Did I miss those somewhere?) Appreciated the illustrator's note, and I looked at the art in a more appealing way. Good to use with the plethora of Lincoln books that have been published in the last three years!
Sandy Brehl
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Primary source quotations, well-chosen and fluently embedded in the narrative text. At first the illustrations were not appealing. After reading the illustrator's notes I changed my opinion. Not my favorite Lincoln book, but a great addition to any collection. (Compare to Abe's Honest Words by Doreen Rappaport, illustrated by Kadir Nelson.
Alice
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very concise and basic history of Lincolns life...easy so that kids could understand it. I also like in the back it clarifies and expounds on some of the important historical facts.

My only complaints on this book were the pictures are not my cup of tea, but I think they were trying to make Lincoln look gangly and weird...over emphasizing his already sharp features.
Julie Heidingsfelder
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 544
Biography. I think I learned more about Abe Lincoln from this book than from any other source in the past. Sad, I know! I appreciate how the book relates his humble beginnings and good nature. He was the all-american success story.
Shelli
Apr 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a small picture book that tells a little bit about one of our nation’s most beloved presidents at a level that small children can understand. This book is good for young readers but not something informational enough for students to use as a resource for a report.
Amy
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbio
I really enjoyed this book. I liked it much better than Abe's Honest Words by Doreen Rappaport because author, Sarah Thomson was actually able to incorporate Lincoln's words (quotes) into the story she was telling.
Jennie
Jul 02, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: K-2
Recommended to Jennie by: Marianne Costello
Using the primary source of direct quotes from Abraham Lincoln, a story of his life is told with emphasis on his presidency. Includes a biographical timeline and directly addresses “Abraham Lincoln and Slavery” on last last pages.
« previous 1 3 4 next »