Start by marking “Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete” as Want to Read:
Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete

Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  737 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Walker’s complete poems, including new and previously unpublished verse, collected for the first time-with author’s notes that provide historical perspective on spiritual and political issues of the last three decades. This title has been selected as a Common Core Text Exemplar (Grades 9-10, Poetry)
Published May 17th 2004 by Mariner Books (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Her Blue Body Everything We Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Blue Body Everything We Know

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of the volumes I had hoarded for National Poetry Month. Alice Walker is better known as the author of The Color Purple, but she has written quite a few poems. These span from 1965 and are highly biographical, from her trip to Kenya to her work in voter registration in Mississippi, through relationship ups and downs, up through having children. I had first skimmed through them when I was helping a friend find a poem for his mother's funeral, but getting to have a more careful reading ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-poetry
I LOVE her poetry! She reminds me of Maya Angelou, whom I also love. Their poems speak to my soul, like Langston Hughes' poetry does. Highly recommended!!
Tristan
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This contains the complete text of Walker's first four books of poetry as well as some previously uncollected pieces. Each component book will be treated separately, and then the "new" poems.

Once

Revolutionary Petunias

Good Night Willie Lee, I'll See You In the Morning

Horses Make A Landscape Look More Beautiful

We Have a Beautiful Mother: Previously Uncollected Poems

These poems were most like those of Horses Make a Landscape Look More
Iris
Jan 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I loved this book. I mean, loved this book. It was the first book of grown-up poetry I remember ever reading, and I was thrilled to my bones to read about sex, black hair, poverty, revolution, and to read poetry about writing poetry. As an 11-year-old in suburban Salt Lake City--an 11-year-old self-described poet living in suburban Salt Lake City-- this book opened doors for me, and made me feel not so alone.

I reread it. It has shining, beautiful moments. It has a lot of sentimental value for
Ronald Wise
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A large collection of poetry by Walker from what seemed to be a darker, less optimistic or confident period of her life. Reading this collection after reading her later works, I could understand better the celebration which seemed evident in her 2003 poetry collection Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth and her 2004 novel Now Is the Time to Open Your Heart. The poetry in this collection seemed tinted with anger and despair. This book was added to my reading list, along with all her works ...more
Jennifer (aka EM)
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I love alice walker. I love her novels, which read like poems. In fact, before I knew she was a poet, I knew she was a poet.

And I love this volume of her poetry. The title poem is a stunning piece of environmental consciousness coupled with simple, but powerful, images of the earth as a body/the body as the earth. Her sensibility oozes out of these words, even more than in her novels.

It's reprinted on my blog here .

Cyndi Lu
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved drowning in this book. Alice Walker poured her heart and soul onto these pages to express what it means to be an African American woman in the mid to late Twentieth Century. She writes about exploring her African, Native American, and white ancestry; about finding herself within the segregated South, the Civil Rights movement, and the West Coast; about love, loss, motherhood, and life in general. One of the best collections of poetry I have ever read.
Jerome K
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't say Alice Walker is the best poet out there. But there's something in her poems that I haven't found in anyone else's. It's very effortless and artless even. Her poems are like fresh spring water, or clean morning sunlight. There's a lot of pain in here but it never overwhelms. Her poems are one big act of forgiveness. I prefer them to her fiction these days.
Melissa
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not for the faint of heart. Revolutionary in the fearlessness that drips from every line. These works definitely provide insight into who Alice Walker unapologetically is and what life events have formed her voice and hence inspired her novels and stories.
Aimee
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I have a copy of this book to carry with me when I need a pick me up, and a signed hardcover that lives at home. I've had this book for 10 years at least, and still find Walker's words powerful and nuanced.
MotherMagic
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The book I took with me into labor of birthing my son. I adore Alice Walker and wanted her poems with me through that experience. A wonderful collection.
Beth
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
A beautiful collection of Walker's poetry. Some of these are perrenial favorites of mine, some seem to pop up when I need them most.
Nik McGrath
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I first read "A Woman is Not a Potted Plant" as a teenager, and it left a great impression on me. Re-reading Walker's poems have given me a renewed sense of their meaning.
Jennifer Hollett
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Some of my favorite poetry.
Though I may not always agree with Walker politically, her writing is IMO superb.
Debby Zygielbaum
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite volumes of poetry ever. The title poem still raises the hairs on the back of my neck because it speaks such truth to me.
Kelly
May 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mylibrary
absolutely fantastic. i bought the book purely based on reading the poem Warning and have not been disappointed since then.
Colette
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great collection of alice walker's poems. she frames each major body of work with what was going on in her life then, which has made me appreciate it even more. lovely.
heartful
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this continuously from cover to cover, which I never do for poetry. It struck a deep chord with me at a hard time in my life.
Rena Jane
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Walker takes me into her head and her heart in describing feelings and thoughts so eloquently.

I feel as though we could be soul sisters, though she's much further evolved than I am.
Kirsty Stanley

I spotted this book on the shelf in the library and having loved The Color Purple when I read it, I was looking forward to reading Alice Walker's Poetry. I have to say that I was distinctly underwhelmed and it wasn't until I reached page 126 that I spotted a poem I connected to and there were 28 in the book that I'd like to read again. 15 of these came from her ' Horses make a landscape look more beautiful' collection, the other 24 from this collection would also be worth another look.
For me I c
Chloe
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to reading the poetry contained in this collection, although this was my first encounter with Walker's writing. I was disappointed, to say the least. There were several lines throughout the collection that moved me, however, I found myself mostly bored with the poems. Some of my favorite pieces in this include The Right to Life: What Can the White Man Say to the Black Woman? and Nobody's Darling. I believe this book is worth a read as it is a fast read but it is not one of ...more
Kate
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very beautiful accessible poetry
Alison
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
this is my favorite book of poetry ever. it got me through my white-guilt-ridden college days
Monica
Feb 02, 2017 is currently reading it
Enjoying the familiarity of my reading experience. Like talking with a friend, so to speak, or revealing things to a therapist, or putting pen to paper in a diary.
Jill Cicero
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...
I so love Alice Walker.
Amanda
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first books that made me want to write poetry.
Tami
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best poetry books I own.
Abbie
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My favorite poetry book.
Alyssa
Aug 30, 2007 rated it liked it
It's a 3 because some of the poems are out-standingly amazing and some are fine.
Nicole
Jan 09, 2018
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • A Wild Patience Has Taken Me This Far
  • The Other Side/El Otro Lado
  • Word Warriors: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken Word Revolution
  • Head Off & Split
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry
Alice Walker, one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, and Possessi ...more
More about Alice Walker
“On Stripping Bark from Myself

(for Jane, who said trees die from it)

Because women are expected to keep silent about
their close escapes I will not keep silent
and if I am destroyed (naked tree!) someone will
please
mark the spot
where I fall and know I could not live
silent in my own lies
hearing their 'how nice she is!'
whose adoration of the retouched image
I so despise.

No. I am finished with living
for what my mother believes
for what my brother and father defend
for what my lover elevates
for what my sister, blushing, denies or rushes
to embrace.

I find my own
small person
a standing self
against the world
an equality of wills
I finally understand.

Besides:

My struggle was always against
an inner darkness: I carry within myself
the only known keys
to my death – to unlock life, or close it shut
forever. A woman who loves wood grains, the color
yellow
and the sun, I am happy to fight
all outside murderers
as I see I must.”
72 likes
“When I no longer have your heart
I will not request your body
your presence
or even your polite conversation.
I will go away to a far country
separated from you by the sea
— on which I cannot walk —
and refrain even from sending
letters