Start by marking “Sacred Stone (Oregon Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sacred Stone (Oregon Files, #2)

Sacred Stone (The Oregon Files #2)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  7,157 Ratings  ·  262 Reviews
In the remote wastes of Greenland, a young scientist has unearthed a hidden artefact - a 50,000 year-old meteorite known as the Sacred Stone. When he discovers its potentially catastrophic powers, he finds himself in the crosshairs of two opposing terrorist groups.
Published October 5th 2006 by Penguin Books (first published October 5th 2004)

Christine
NOt up to par with Cussler's usual work; I was confused at the start (and repeatedly throughout the book) as to who was who with the huge cast of characters. Several times one of the bad guys would be in an obvious trap only to reappear elsewhere with no description of how he got away. I really enjoyed the first Oregon files book, but this one made me look to see who Cussler co-authored with. Is he going the way of James Patterson (who I no longer read as his co-authors write abysmally). Guess I ...more
Barbara Pelosi
Disappointment

Of all the Cussler books I've read, this is a major disappointment. There are way too many characters. The plot line...actually there were two plot lines...was so boring that the book was overflowing with "filler text". i.e., pages upon pages of dreary scene descriptions. etc. I make a point of finishing every book I start, and that was a hard rule to follow with this book...but I did finish it. Yawn.
Denise Matysek
The action was fast as promised. However, it distracted from the development of the main characters-- especially those in the corporation. The plot was sloppy toward the end and I did no longer believe that it made sense. There was so many characters that it was hard to keep track of everyone. It did help that the author had a list and explanation for each character. I would have liked to have known more about main character, Juan Cabrillo .
Randy
May 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst book I've ever read, 54 plus different characters is a few to many. Sometimes he would change characters four times on one page. I stayed confused the whole book. The best part about the book was the very beginning and when I finished it. All of the other Clive Cussler books I have read have been good books, but I was disappointed on this one.
Muzaffer
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read two Oregon Files by Cussler and Jack du Brul before and they were awesome. This one cowritten by Craig Dirgo unlike the rest of the series except Golden Buddha. And you see the difference obviously between two co-writers. Jack Du Brul does a much better job. Still a Cussler book. Joyful, thrilling, lots of knowledge about spying, aviation, sailing, etc.
Anna
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"- Head and shoulders - said King by radio.
- Shampoo? - asked Adams.
- No - King replied - I'm gonna shoot this bastard there. In the head and shoulders."

Good part but here's too little of Cabrillo, who's I personally love. Big pluses for Elton John concert and his lines, and Hotel California by The Eagles - who read the book knows what I mean ;)
TyllisX_D2
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The book is about the cooperation between the Oregon crew and federal agencies to stop two criminal forces opposing each other. The plot was well written but it is becoming similar to sci-fi.
Stephen
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this second installment of the Oregon Files series has a narrative that’s somewhat easier to follow than that of its predecessor, it suffers from the same problem: too many undeveloped characters and too many compressed scenes. The new characters walk on and then off in an endless parade from stage left to stage right, especially during the first ninety pages or so, and never do we get an inkling of who they are as people, which fails to arouse interest in them. The novel might as well be ...more
Giuls
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo è il primo libro di Cussler che leggo dove il protagonista non è Dirk Pitt.
E devo proprio dirlo: mi è mancato.
Juan Cabrillo non mi è sembrato un protagonista all’altezza di Pitt (probabilmente ha a che fare con il fatto che Pitt sia stato il mio primo book-crush, o come si dice, e figura ancora nella lista degli uomini che vorrei fossero reali). L’ho trovato, come dire… meno d’impatto, più spento. In alcuni punti come se non ci fosse.
E poi mi sono mancati i continui riferimenti al mare, a
Carol
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all 11 of the books in the Oregon Files series and thoroughly enjoyed each and every one. This was a reread and I have to say the fast-paced action of this story, the crew of the Oregon, and the details the authors pay to the historical and factual settings make this one of my absolutely favorite series. On a lighter note…. something that rather amused me was that at the beginning of the book, Eric The Red needed two men to lift the meteorite when it was first discovered. Centuries l ...more
Brenda H
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit concerned when I started this as many of the reviews commented on it being disjointed and hard to follow due to the large number of characters but I actually found that it worked well. The storyline was structured with multiple discrete episodes that each was pulled into the main storyline as needed.

the story itself was a fun, easy read with spy action and thriller components. I am looking forward to getting to know the crew of The Oregon better as I definitely see the people, and th
Megan
Jun 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ancient natives find a meteorite and build a shrine, a possible pathogen could be released from the destruction of said meteorite that would consume the oxygen in our air (and a really cool lab experiment gone awry that discovered that) seems to be a page turning premise as far as I'm concerned. Sprinkle in some middle eastern intricacies, some rocking cool military turned private contractors and it seems like story with something for everyone.

Alas, if the author could have blown up a few more t
Alexis Stephenson
Good book. can be quite a page turner during action sequences. However too many characters to keep track off. Also goes into POV and backstories of characters the are not needed. For example, the drunk guy who lends him a snow vehicle.

Also not a fan of how he likes to start chapters without identifying the character until a few paragraphs in. Also enjoys finishing early chapters with a reference to the ending. "little did he know that it would be his downfall". "he didn't know the next doctor he
Eadie
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This is the 2nd book in the Oregon Files and was a very enjoyable read. It is easier to follow the plot and more interesting than the first book, The Golden Buddha. The only problem I had with this book was that some of the incidents seemed a bit unrealistic. Even with this problem, I would have to say that the book still is a great adventure read. The characters are unique and the plot is exciting. I will definitely continue with this series and look forward to reading the next installment.

4.25
Jose
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cussler-clive
To be honest i kind of liked the idea of someone in the world trying to make a terrorist attack to the muslims... although and don't get me wrong... I think it will be something wrong to do... and not all muslims are terrorists.. but it was kind of fun to think about it at least... Other than that I feel that the book is better than the first one and it had better plot. The only thing that gets me is how they win all their fights... maybe in future books they will have some upsets... this series ...more
Kevin Marsh
I did not care for this book much. I found the writing style strange and the plot not up to the usual Clive Cussler standard. At times I found the quality of writing poor with words repeated regularly in the same paragraph. It reminded me of a badly written self published book in need of some serious editing.
I usually thoroughly enjoy reading Clive Cussler books, especially featuring Dirk Pitt so I won't let Sacred Stone put me off.
Evi
This book is one of my all time favourites, it deserves all the love in the world
Mar 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like this one as well as the first, but still a good read.
Rod
Sorry Clive...usually love your books but only completed this one out of respect and the hope the next one will be back to your usual standard.
One of the most confusing books, character wise, I have read. At times I had no idea what was happening or where it was heading. A frustrating read with a dull colorless ending.
The twists and turns and vibrant characters usually associated with Clive’s novels were simply not there.
What the heck happened to ‘The Chairman’? Usually a fabulous character, h
Nikki
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy books by Clive Cussler. I've read some of the later 'Oregon Files' books and am now working my way back to some of the earlier ones in the series. I will say that the audio version of this one was not read by the narrator (Scott Brick), whom I'm used to reading this series. I found that it took away from my enjoyment of the book. And, I have come to really appreciate Scott Brick's talent in making Clive Cussler's book come alive.
Ken
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Pretty decent read once again. I don't always like how Cussler will end a chapter with a blatant shadowing of events to occur later in the book. I'd rather the book just progress and allow the reader to imagine what could possibly happen--subtlety has its benefits.

Still enjoyed the book overall as any Cussler novel.
Emilia
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
It was an entertaining adventure and it was written in a way that almost made it feel like watching a film. This was apparently the second book of a series, but I had no problem following the plot or the characters even tough I sort of jumped right into it.
A nice in-between-books book to read something different for a change.
Kelly Bragg
Good international intrigue, but...

I generally LOVE everything this guy writes, and speed through it only to be sorry when it is over. But this one took me a month to get through. Some of it was typical gripping Cussler stuff - yea! But there seemed to be quite a bit more setup & description than normal (or necessary IMHO). Not sorry I read it, but definitely NOT my favorite book by Cussler.
John Anthamatten
Not Cussler. Too much Dirgo, I guess. Stayed confused nearly the whole read because of too many “agencies” and too many “agents” to keep up with and who was where when and how they got there. List of characters in the front didn’t help much. Seems all the good guys got away though, either in a Pepsi truck or a Ford pickup.
Kate
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading stories by Clive Cussler. This is the second one about Juan Cabrilla and the Oregon Files. There are several interrelated plots that come together in the end. This is a story worth reading. I got this book from our local library!
Rodney Tripp
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second Oregon Files book and I still find the book carry too many characters to keep up with. The story is not bad but the writing of the story just does not seem to gel well with me. I am game to give Book 3 a try since the co-author has changed to Jack DuBrul
Jrs
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had less than 100 pages left in the book and gave up on it. L had no interest in how it ended.
Nathan Beck
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Fairly easy read. Glad there is a list of characters for reference. Lots of people going in different directions, but I never got too lost.
Ashley Harrison
Still not my favourite books though fairly well written.
Susan
Cussler is good holiday reading. Can’t take too much of his style as it gets repetitive, but the story does draw you in.
Book Review 2 3 Aug 24, 2017 03:18AM
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Dark Justice (Sean Dillon, #12)
  • Act of War (Jason Richter, #1)
  • Dark Zone (Deep Black, #3)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
  • Clive Cussler
  • The Soldier Spies (Men at War, #3)
  • The Secret of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler

The Oregon Files (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Golden Buddha (The Oregon Files, #1)
  • Dark Watch (The Oregon Files, #3)
  • Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files, #4)
  • Plague Ship (The Oregon Files, #5)
  • Corsair (The Oregon Files, #6)
  • The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files, #7)
  • The Jungle (The Oregon Files, #8)
  • Mirage (The Oregon Files, #9)
  • Piranha (The Oregon Files, #10)
  • The Emperor's Revenge (The Oregon Files, #11)

Fiction Deals

• Revolution 2020
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mercy Falls Collection: The Lightkeeper's Daughter / The Lightkeeper's Bride / The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls #1-3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Secret
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dead Don't Dance
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
  • The Love Season
  • Water's Edge
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone