Start by marking “शतरंज के खिलाड़ी [Shatranj ke Khiladi]” as Want to Read:
शतरंज के खिलाड़ी [Shatranj ke Khiladi]

शतरंज के खिलाड़ी [Shatranj ke Khiladi]

Shatranj Ke Khiladi (शतरंज के खिलाड़ी) is a story of two nawabs of Lucknow who are so deeply immersed into playing chess that they forget to protect their city which falls into the hand of the British.
Published 2007 by Prabhat Prakashan (first published 1924)

Sumeet Mahendra मगर यह खेल मनहूस है। इसका खेलनेवाला कभी पनपता नहीं, घर पर कोई न कोई आफत ज़रूर आती है। यहाँ तक कि इसके पीछे महल्ले-के-महल्ले तबाह होते देखे गये हैं। सार…moreमगर यह खेल मनहूस है। इसका खेलनेवाला कभी पनपता नहीं, घर पर कोई न कोई आफत ज़रूर आती है। यहाँ तक कि इसके पीछे महल्ले-के-महल्ले तबाह होते देखे गये हैं। सारे महल्ले में यही चर्चा रहती है।(less)

Start your review of शतरंज के खिलाड़ी [Shatranj ke Khiladi]
Jaya
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I fell in love with this story when I had watched its film adaptation by none other than Satyajit Ray . The whole atmosphere of Lucknow at the height of its cultural glory, under the reign of Nawab Wajid Ali Shah and its eventual annexation by the British forces was extremely fascinating. Neither was I not impressed with the irony that forms the basic back bone of this short story.
However the fault for not being able to appreciate the reading of this masterpiece lies solely on me. I will blam
Madhulika Liddle
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not a full-fledged book, but a short story. Munshi Premchand's Shatranj ke Khiladi (The Chess Players) is set in the last days of Nawab Wajid Ali Shah's Awadh. In 1856, Lucknow plays and gambles, dances and drinks and whiles away its time in mindless pleasure while the British—and the end of all this luxury—draw nearer. Two noblemen, Mirza Sajjad Ali and Mir Roshan Ali, are the eponymous chess players of the tale: so completely devoted to their daily sessions of chess—beginning in the morning, g ...more
Nandhini Narayanan
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Trademark Premchand - the cynicism, the humour, the slightest of jabs with the smoothest of words, Premchand paints a brutal picture of rural pre-Independence India with skeptic humour, blatant honesty and unveiled insight.
Sreekumaran Thampi
I have read the book thrice and still I am prepared to read itagain and again.I have studied hindi I am familiar with almost all the works of Premchand
Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
Hilarious
Nandan Dubey
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, literature, story
The time-line of the story is when British are on their way to get hold of whole India. This truly depicts how the royal family in India has become at that time. Just enjoying the present and never giving any thought to state/people. Premchand wrote the story in comic way which is enjoyable.
The story is about two royal persons.
Their desire for the game is amazing. Same is true for their irresponsibility toward their families and state. When the city Lucknow was being captured by the British they
Padmini
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Premchand to me stands out as no other author does. but I will say that the movie by Satyajit Ray outwins this one. Although, that doesnt imply that this misses anything that makes Premchand so incredibly joyous to read. I read this in hindi and would recommend all to read in the original language.
Faizan
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished.
Given to me by my teacher for my research paper..

How am I supposed to write 100 pages on 6 pages long story ...

no star giving yet..
Sidharth Vardhan
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The title translates to 'Chess Players'. I was almost giving up on Premchand but this definitely one of his better stories.

It is a common saying in India that Chess is a thing that will make you forget the God. I love chess myself and have been addicted to it for whole days in past, and so kind of know there is not so much exaggeration. The story is of two friends having such obsession for the game that they can't bring themselves to break away from it even when their city us being attacked. Thi
Minoy
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Likers of hindi fiction
I had been wanting to read something in Hindi for a long time now. Since I hardly know any writers in Hindi, I went with one of the most famous ones- Munshi Premchand.

Shatranj ke Khiladi is a very short read (it is in fact a short story, but available as a separate book) and I enjoyed it a lot. The language is artistic and yet not sluggish. Needless to say, I encountered many new words of Hindi and Urdu languages. I also realized that this story has been made into a critically acclaimed film of
Ancita
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Premchand aces in story-telling. For instance, let's purview this story. Set in a society that relies heavily on money-laundering, prostitution and morally-eroded relationships, two friends sit day after day for a game of chess. They lose the game, of both life and chess, which eventually justifies the title.

The author never fails to mesmerize me with his narratives that are filled with wit, sarcasm and humor on our daily lives. His acute observation of our Indian society binds attention. Few h
Sujeet Gholap
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Due to lack of a compelling story, or due to some other reason... the book is hardly a gripping one. This made me aware of the language and the style of the book. Bah! Every sentence, every paragraph, I kept wondering -- did Premchand not know about these beautiful things called "punctuation marks"? Doesn't he know when to use a period and when to use a question mark.

I did not find it funny. I did not find any deep meaning in it. I failed to grasp the "vivid picture of society" Premchand "so mas
Vidhi Rastogi
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Please read my detailed blog post on Shatranj Ke Khiladi:

It is the most symbolic story i have ever read & is truly a time transcending classic.
Priya Ganesh
is shatraj kings finally dies or not?
MRITYUNJAY KUMAR
Mar 24, 2015 is currently reading it
FEELING HAPPY
Elenchus
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just read the eponymous, what beautifully chaste urdu. Readers who have previously watched Satyajit's Ray film on it, would be surprised by the minor, but insightful, departures by ray
Shalini
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: india, hindi, free
As far as I recall, it is the only book I have ever read whose movie adaptation does justice to the book. I read quite a great deal of Premchand books when I was a kid and no matter whether I liked them or not, I can't ever forget them. Most of them!

And Shatranj ke Khiladi is one of the few stories or novels that I happened to read again in my 20s, this one all thanks to the "Masculinities in Popular Culture & Literature" course that I took in my final year. That course was fun, all I had to do
Neeraj
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This short story describes the life of Mir Ali and Mirza Ali, two people who are addicted to the game of chess. The
duration is around 1855-56 since the story mentions the capture of Wajid Ali Shah by the British. Vivid description and use of Lucknowi accent adds to the glamour of the story. Nevertheless a nice story.
Kshitij
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This short story of Premchand truly captures the reasons behind fall of Mughals and Rise of Britishers in the year 1856. Satyajit Ray brilliantly adapted it into a movie of same name. A very fine commentary of that period.
Naina
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't as hard to read as I was expecting it to be! A decent read other than that. If you're also picking up Hindi literature for the first time since you left school, it might be a good idea to start with this one. It isn't too tedious.
Shivjeetganguly
Aug 20, 2010 marked it as to-read
i want to know some of the tricks in chess
Premjish Achari
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Premchand's satire attacks the fallacy of the monarchs. And propounds the advent of a new age.
Tenzin
Sep 20, 2010 added it
heard a lot about the author..so let's dig in..
Rahul Ranjan
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Book. Too Good
Laurel
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Chess Players is also a great film by Satyajit Ray.
Utkarsh Arya
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The master of story telling, captures the mood of the then Indian aristocracy in a subtle way.
Jaswant Singh
Jul 11, 2016 marked it as to-read
Good
Sumeet Mahendra
After reading this amazing short story, I realized why my grandma never allowed to play Chess, she always believed in that story.
Prabhat  sharma
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
Shatarnj ke Khiladi by Munshi Premchad- is a story of Mirza Sajjad Ali and Mirza Roshan Ali of Lucknow. The year is 1856 when the British are about to annexe the territories of Wajid Ali Shah of North Central India. Oudh administration is weak. One of the reason is that her ministers and responsible men are busy in other engagements than administration. Both the Mirza's spend their time in playing chess and devising new strategies to win the game while the British have attaked Lucknow. The Frenc ...more
Mohammad Sabbir  Shaikh
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mirza and Mir are the two Nawabs of Awadh, Lucknow. They both are obsessed with chess. Their love for the game is so much so that even the fall of their empire couldn't keep them from playing chess. I completely enjoyed reading this story. So will you. Read it. And when you're done reading, watch the movie Satyajit Ray made on it. That, too, is nice.

• रश्मिरथी
  • A Century Is Not Enough: My Roller-coaster Ride to Success
  • कुरुक्षेत्र
  • Malgudi Days
  • साये में धूप [Saaye mein Dhoop]
  • Of Course I Love You...! Till I Find Someone Better...
Munshi Premchand (Hindi: मुंशी प्रेमचंद) was an Indian writer famous for his modern Hindustani literature. He is one of the most celebrated writers of the Indian subcontinent,and is regarded as one of the foremost Hindustani writers of the early twentieth century.

Born Dhanpat Rai, he began writing under the pen name "Nawab Rai", but subsequently switched to "Premchand", while he is also known as "

News & Interviews

“यहाँ तक कि मिर्ज़ा की बेगम साहिबा को इससे इतना द्वेष था कि अवसर खोज-खोजकर पति को लताड़ती थीं। पर उन्हें इसका अवसर मुश्किल से मिलता था। वह सोती ही रहती थीं, तब तक उधर बाज़ी बिछ जाती थी। और” 3 likes
“मुहरा आप कयामत तक न छोड़ें, तो क्या चाल ही न होगी? फ़रज़ी पिटते देखा तो धाँधली करने लगे।” 3 likes