Start by marking “Fade to Black (Black CATs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fade to Black (Black CATs, #1)

Fade to Black (Black CATs #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  1,317 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
'Dean Taggert, a former street cop turned FBI agent, has accepted a transfer into a new CAT for one reason: he needs to remove the violence from his life in order to get his ex to give him more time with his son. Not easy to do when he's been thrust into the darkest, most violent investigation of his career. A psychopath calling himself the Reaper is auctioning off murder ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 345 pages
Published July 7th 2009 by Signet (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fade to Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fade to Black

Shawna
5 stars – Romantic Suspense/Thriller

I didn’t know anything about this author previously and the book was a total impulse buy, so I was very pleasantly surprised by this intense, taut, romantic suspense thriller. I started reading it last night at 8 pm and stayed up until 2:30 am to finish…I simply couldn’t put it down.

Special Agent Dean Taggert leaves behind his career with the FBI’s Violent Crimes Unit to join the newly formed Cyber Action Team to escape the brutality and nightmares of his past
jenjn79
Aug 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Auntee, Kathrynn, romantic suspense fans
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy
Sometimes you get really lucky when you pick up a random book at the book store...this was one of those times. These days I don't buy many random, unknown author books (lack of reading time and money), but I'm a big romantic suspense fan and it's the one genre I will still occasionally pick up a random book for. So when I saw this in the store and thought it looked interesting, I decided to give it a try. It wasn't until I got home and looked up the book on GR that I found out I actually did kno ...more
Kathrynn
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romantic-Suspense Fans
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Isis
Enjoyed the first book in the Black CATS (Cyber Action Team) series set primarily in the fictitious small town of Hope Valley, Virginia. Nicely written, excellent suspense-thriller-romance with two well rounded main characters.

Stacey Rhodes followed the family legacy and moved back to Hope Valley to finish out her ailing father's term as town sheriff. A "Rhodes" had been the sheriff for several generations and she wanted less murder and mayham in her police career, so the opportunity and timing
Mojca
Special Agent Dean Taggert, member of a special Cyber Action Team (CAT) dealing in Internet-related murders, comes into the small town of Hope Valley, Virginia, pursuing a case that might have something to do with a missing person reported seventeen months ago.

Up until now, everybody in Hope Valley, Sheriff Stacey Rhodes included, though local girl Lisa Zimmerman had simply taken off with one of her druggie boyfriends. A video, found on a "specialized" website catering to the lowest of the low o
Dina
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: audball
4 1/2 stars (rounded down to 4 stars, because the mystery/suspense was way stronger than the romance and that affected my connection to the H/h)
Tracy
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I Wasn't Expecting That!
I've never been so pleased to have stumbled across a book written by an author I'd never read before and given the book a chance based on nothing more than the genre (romantic thrillers are a favorite of mine) and the reviews. Fade to Black is one of the better ones I've read. I'm very happy I found it!

The genre itself presupposes a small amount of formula - there has to be a bad guy (or group of bad guys) that do bad things who need to be stopped from continuing to
Lauren
Fade to Black
4 Stars

The Black CATs is a new FBI cyber team dedicated to solving murders originating on the Internet. The newest case involves a serial killer auctioning off his kills on an underground website. The team track the killer’s first victim to a small-town and Special Agent Dean Taggert is assigned to liaise with the local Sheriff Stacey Rhodes. As the two develop a personal relationship alongside the professional, they find themselves in a race against time to locate a sadistic psycho
Dee

Lady Heather
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fan's of Pamela Clare's I-Team series
Amazing read!

This is the first book in Leslie Parrish's BlackCAT series.

The stories are about an 'experimental' FBI team fondly known amongst it's members as the BlackCAT's (black because their team leader's name is Wyatt Blackstone and CAT for Cyber Action Team). Their whole purpose is to solve actual murders that occur or are 'posted' on line. The team consists of field agents as well as IT specialists.
This story captures the reader right from the get go.
What I love most about this author is
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Geez, this was as pretty good FBI/police mystery/romance. I didn't realize at first that Leslie Parrish is Leslie Kelly. I have read a couple of Kelly's Blaze stories and enjoyed them. I think this side of her writing nature is even better. The characters were interesting and I always appreciate an author who can make a strong female character is is neither a bitch nor a ball buster. I will read the rest of the Black Cats series for sure.
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
D.G.
This book had a lot of things that I liked: a hero and heroine that acted like adults instead of whiny teenagers and real life law enforcement agents that were not Dragnet clones. Then why didn’t I enjoy this book more?

I should first note that I don't like serial killer plots. To make the story exciting, authors usually resort to omnipotent killers that stay ahead of the police every step of the way, that nobody ever sees and that go around killing people left and right. Ms. Parrish handled some
Susi
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I will warn you before I start to review this book: I’m not a passionate suspense reader. In my whole life I read not more than 5 or 6 books in this genre. I never could really connect with this books so I stopped reading them. So why did I buy this one? I read so many wonderful reviews about this series that there was no other possibility as to read this books. And I’m really happy I did it.

The series is all about the Black Cats, a new subdivision of the FBI. They try to solve Internet crimes b
ElaineY
I found this a very fast-paced romantic thriller. Miles ahead of Karen Rose's latest! The romance was nicely balanced and the two protagonists were a perfect complement to each other. No angst in their relationship and while I enjoy that in my romances, in my romantic thrillers, they do tend to get in the way especially if the protags are professionals trying to do a job.

In FTB's case, both FBI agent Dean and Sheriff Stacey are professional in their actions from start to finish. There's enough s
Robin
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Special Agent Dean Taggert moved from the FBI's Violent Crimes Unit to the Cyber Action Team (CATs) thinking that he would be investigating internet fraud. But his first big case is the worst he has ever seen. A co-worker has found a secret web site called Satan's Playground. A madman calling himself The Reaper, has murdered eight victims, taped the murders, and is showing them on his web site. He auctions off the means to his upcoming murders to the members of the site.

The investigation leads D
Kayla
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
FBI Agent Dean Taggert tried to get into a less violent line of work. That's why he transferred to the Black CATs team. But when the computer geniuses discover an internet gaming site called Satan's Playground he knows his life is going to be far from easy until this killer is caught.

Satan's Playground is where sickos go to live out their torture, death, and usually rape infested fantasies. But it's all computer based, until videos are found of the mutilation and prolonged death of eight women.
Kristen
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Leslie Kelly introduced us to the CAT series, she told us an intricate dark tale of cyber crime and violence. For Sheriff Stacey Rhodes, when someone turned up missing in her small town, it became big news. As for the CAT team with Dean Taggert, they're after sexual predators online, especially when they saw it online and on tape. Before Stacey knew it, both law enforcements agents collide and work on the same case. For Stacey and Dean, sparks fly between them and get to know each other. Li ...more
Norma
I'm having a hard time rating this. THis was a good book with a good, strong story. But I didn't love it. I only finished it to see if I was correct about the bad guy (I wasn't). I think maybe I didn't get invested in the characters enough. IDK. Maybe it's just my reading slump.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This grabbed me from the start and I had difficulty putting it down. The killer isn't guessed and was a surprise. I enjoyed 2 strong leads that complemented each other.
Sarah Peralta
May 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm all for a good thriller, but the subject matter was so disturbing, that I couldn't enjoy the suspense of it. This author takes it to a really dark place. Not for me.
Katyana
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
****4.5****

Gripping RS - and be forewarned, the deaths are gruesome - with great characters. Loved that both leads could be skilled and competent without undercutting each other (no TSTL or damsels in distress here, hooray!).
Kevin
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-digital
This was a good read for me - It hooked me then kept me not knowing who the reaper was. Worth the time is you like serial killer fiction.
Tami
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Good thriller that kept you guessing until the end. A little romance mixed in. Good read overall and I will read the next.
SandraE
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
A fast paced book that will keep you guessing until the very end.
Kathy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Black CATs #1
This first book in the Black Cats series was really good. It had a lot of interesting twists and turns in the story and even though I kept thinking I knew who it was, I have to say that by the end I was surprised. I'm off to read book 2…

Read:
March 14-15, 2017 - Kindle Unlimited (in a set of the first three books in this series)
Lena
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: band-1
Inhalt: Eine Internetplattform, kranke User und ein grausamer Killer.

Auf der Homepage ‘Satan’s Playground’ bietet ein Mann Snuff-Filme an, Videos, in denen zu sehen ist, wie er junge Frauen auf bestialische Weise ermordet. Zusätzlich gibt der Mörder anderen Usern die Möglichkeit bei einer Auktion über die Todesart zu wählen, die die nächste Frau erleiden soll. Das Black CAT Team des FBI aus Washington wird auf die Internetseite aufmerksam. Eine heiße Spur führt den FBI Agenten Dean Taggert mit s
Nina
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stacey Rhodes ist Sheriff im kleinen Städtchen Hope Valley. Die schlimmsten Verbrechen das hier hin und wieder passiert sind Kneipenschlägereien oder randalierende Jugendliche, die Polizei hat in dieser Kleinstadt also ein leichtes Leben.

FBI - Agent Dean Taggert schließt sich einer neu gegründeten Spezialeinheit an: dem Cyber Action Team, kurz CAT. Diese Einheit befasst sich speziell mit Mordfällen die mit dem Internet im Zusammenhang stehen. Kaum ist Taggert dem Team beigetreten, bekommen sie e
Lyndi
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stayed up until 5am to finish this one. Pretty damn good! Stacey and Dean are both well-developed characters that are smart, determined, and courageous. I really liked them and had no complaints about either of them.

I know this is listed as a romantic suspense, but the romance really does take an appropriate back seat to solving the horrendous crimes being committed by the Reaper. There's a little bit of posturing, a sex scene, and a HEA, but the meat of this story is the suspense. And boy, was
★Five Star Series★: Black CATS by Leslie Parrish 2 14 Aug 24, 2011 06:43PM
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Love You to Death
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #8)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Whisper of Warning (The Glass Sisters, #2)
  • Naked Truth (Dragon One #1)
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
Leslie A. Kelly is a New York Times Bestselling author of more than fifty novels in various genres. She writes contemporary romances--usually funny and sexy--as Leslie Kelly. The middle initial--A.--means a thrilling, dark suspense novel, like one of her Black CATs or Veronica Sloan titles.

She lives in Maryland with her husband and their daughters.