Start by marking “Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)” as Want to Read:
Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)

Salvation in Death (In Death #27)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  16,749 Ratings  ·  654 Reviews
Salvation in Death
Mass Market Paperback, 355 pages
Published June 2nd 2009 by Berkley (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Salvation in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvation in Death

Mo
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think sometimes the books have a few too many characters and suspects thrown at you and my eyes kinda glaze over and I lose interest a bit ... "a bit", I said. Not completely. A priest is murdered while saying a funeral mass and his death leaves a lot of stones unturned.

She wondered if there was a particular saint she could hit up for enough patience to get through this interview without screaming.

There is a patron saint for everything, Eve. Trust me. religion was drummed into me for years.
♥Sharon♥
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

No time for a proper review but....

I do believe I now 1/2 way through this series. Crazy to think I have 27 more to go!!!

Another great read. I enjoyed the beginning, my mind wondered a bit in the middle, but the ending was solid. How J.D. comes up with these storylines I'll never know.

Julie (jjmachshev)
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Holy moly. I'm not sure how J.D. Robb continues to write such consistently fabulous stories about Eve and Roarke, but she's done it again with "Salvation in Death".

This time the victim is a Priest! And he was killed via the sacrament during a funeral mass. Into this holy mess (HAHA) steps Eve the cop. Musing her way through a mass (!) of subjects while trying not to step on too many toes ("I never genuflect in public.") Eve soon discovers the dead priest was not really a priest. The threads for
LJ
SALVATION IN DEATH (Pol. Proc-Eve Dallas-New York City- Future/2060) - VG
Robb, J. D. (aka Nora Roberts) – 28th in series
Putnam, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780399155222

First Sentence: At the mass of the dead, the priest placed the wafer of unleavened bread and the cheap red wine on the linen corporal draping the alter.

Performing communion can be deadly. At least it was to the priest officiating at a funeral service. One sip of from the chalice and he is dead.

One other small problem; as Eve inve
Joseph Young
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochists
Midway through the book, the main character thinks about some lawyer, "Does this guy really want to be a cliche?" and I thought, "Why not? Everyone else in this book is."

I don't know if the audio version makes it worse, but almost all the characters in the book were cliches. The main character, while slightly more fleshed out, is unlikable to me, as she seems to be a power-tripping asshole who somehow justifies it by having been a victim at one point in her life. She is never wrong as a detectiv
Catherine
Started out slow but eventually picked up. Good but not great but it def had its moments.
Mei
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Well, what to say? This woman is a genius!

Another wonderful mystery, this time involving the catholic priest!

And, Eve, being Eve doesn't know anything about religions!!!

”Be on time. The doctor doesn’t have time to wait.” (Mira’s assistant)
“Like I sit around and play mahjong all frigging day..” (Eve)
“What is mahjong, exactly? (Peabody)
“How the hell do I know? Am I playing it?” (Eve)

“Who put the wine I the cup and the…” What the hell did she call it? Coocie? Cracker? (Eve)
“Host.” (Father Lope
Steve
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, in-death
This romp through New York of a imagined future started very slowly, then took a left turn, which surprised me, but then got right back on track with plot twists and turns to keep me guessing. The climax was rather delicious, and it hit me hard when I worked out the reason for the title of the book. The resolution was a nice touch, but I would have preferred to read a little more about what happened.
Ann Lou
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A catholic priest is murdered while performing a funeral mass.  The cup of blood is laced with cyanide and poisoned him.  The question now is why and who could have done such a thing?

Another solid read and I have to admit I experienced a lot of cross eyed moments when there were so many names introduced it was hard to keep up. I found myself asking who is s/he again?

As usual Eve is being her badass and kickass self. " I don't get it. Scratch, bite, squeal, slap. Why do women fight like that? W
Patrick
New to JD Robb so I may have to get a bit more familiar before I rate 4-5. I enjoyed the NY setting and the perpetual gang references coupled with lessons relative to the Catholic faith. I'm not totally sold on Detective Eve Dallas yet but it will probably come in time. I'm more used to Lisa Gardner's DD Warren and Karin Slaughter's Will Trent and Faith Mitchell.
Anyway she had me stumped until the last few chapters...moving onto another Coulter novel 'Insidious'. Will hopefully have a fuller gra
Beth Allen
Nov 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
J.D. Robb, a.k.a Nora Roberts, does not write great literature.

But she writes a ripping good story.

The year is 2060, and a Catholic priest has been murdered as he performs a Mass of the Dead.

And you just won't believe what happens next!

Lieutenant Eve Dallas, NYC homicide detective, is a tireless champion for the victims of crime.

Once again, Eve finds out "who done it," while struggling with her own demons.

Eve is smart, and sassy, and in love with her rich/gorgeous husband Roarke.

Every so often,
Catherine
I can't seem to stop reading this series, and it's driving me nuts! The series really started well with nice character development in an inventive futuristic world, but the characters of late have just fallen into this formulaic routine...they need to grow more. Unfortunately, this book, in particular, lacked the interaction with many of the minor characters...definitely a step in the wrong direction...less character evolution. I'm starting to think that the author of "more than 150 novels" shou ...more
Venus Blancia
I will always remember the plot with this convo.
“Eve: What is it about asking you Catholic questions that gets you all jumpy?

Roarke: You'd be jumpy, too, if I asked you things that make you feel the hot breath of hell at your back.

Eve: You're not going to hell.

Roarke: Oh, and have you got some inside intel on that?

Eve: You married a cop...you married me. I'm your goddamn salvation.”
Ira
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

Btw Ms. Roberts,
Is Peabody an obese?
She keep eat, eat eat like a pig!
That tantrum about not having breakfast and stuff herself with rubbish all the time it really is disgusting:(
I don't want her to be skinny model and very healthy like Eve, but please don't make her keep stuffing herself with those rubbish junks!

And that tantrum about food, please!!!!
Kjen
Just did a re-read...Really love Eve and Roarke in this one. They are very "married" but so many good parts and lines. The car sex was hot and hilarious! One of my new favorite quotes/exchanges...Roarke: "I'm often better than I think I am." Eve: "No one's as good as you think you are." Love it!
Nicole
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
J.D. Robb's latest paperback release Salvation in Death was a bit of a disappointment for me. I thought the storyline was rushed and not as well-rounded as past efforts in the series.

*************
Holy communion spells death for Fr. Miguel Flores, a popular Catholic priest in New York City's Spanish Harlem, after he swallows wine laced with cyanide during a funeral in bestseller Robb's unusually introspective 27th crime thriller to feature Lt. Eve Dallas (after Strangers in Death). The ensuing ho
Anna Francesca
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore this series the way I adore peanut butter cups-- they might not be nutritious, but boy are they yummy! While there are some two-dimensional "extras", the main characters are well-defined. I found the examination of religion and moral ambiguity in this book to bring a greater depth to this volume than some of the other Eve Dallas novels. If I could, I would give it 4 1/2 stars, and I would recommend it to any of my friends mature enough to deal with a degree of non-gratuitous violence and ...more
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book for so many reasons, the emotions and conflicts of emotions throughout the book. Digging deeper into Eve and Roarke's beliefs or their questioning beliefs.

2 separate storylines linked together by method of murder!

No spoilers here!

2 thumbs up and 5 stars!
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read 22-26 September 2013

2nd read 11 March - 10 April 2016
Pamela Shropshire
4.25 stars. Another one that I read while traveling. I really enjoyed the crime detection bits in this one, especially watching Eve deal with the "religion thing." Some really funny bits because Eve knows so little about Christian terminology.

Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
4 Stars

I found Salvation in Death to be an interesting installment though it is far from my favorite in the series. Things start off with a bang (not literally) when a Catholic priest, Father Flores, dies after drinking Holy Communion wine in the middle of a funeral. Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her partner Detective Delia Peabody are assigned to case which gets weirder when it is discovered that the body in the medical examiner's office does not match the DNA of Father Miguel Flores.

In terms of th
Julie
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the funniest of the "In Death" series so far. Both Eve and Peabody got some zingers in. Eve mostly with the religion thing, her not understanding it, calling the communion wafer a "cookie, cracker, what the hell do I call it" in her head before the priest supplied the word host. While working through guests at the funeral the priest says " You can probably eliminate the infants and toddlers..." Her response, "I don't know toddlers are pretty suspicious." Eve isn't usually so glib ...more
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
I have to admit as I started reading this one I thought, for a little bit, that I might have come across the first ever "in Death" book that I wouldn't care for.....but of course I was wrong. LOL.

Admittedly, this book started out kind of slow for me and I wasn't "excited" about the nature of the crime. Then everything started to roll and I like where she went with this particular story-line.

In a nutshell - A priest dies in the act of giving a funeral mass. On the surface he seems to be a well-li
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Well, I decided I needed something to help take my mind off the wait for the latest Kate Daniels series to come out... and, well, why not move along this epically long series (maybe, just maybe, I'll get to the end one of these days...)

I have to say, it was among one of the better books in the series. Over the series I've gotten kind of passive and just *meh* about Dallas and her past childhood with her father; it's just another back story after 25+ books in the series. But this one... I actuall
Caz Malpas
3.5 - 4 HOLIER THAN THOU STARS

Well this is a first for me, rating an In Death book less than a full 4 stars, I can't pin point one reason why, only a few little ones, this one seemed to lack the humour and the banter that normally comes in abundance, the amount of characters and who they were just confused me and to be honest after the first few hours of listening to it, I was ready to abandon it, but Jonetta told me it does improve and it did, however it just fell below the normal high bar set
Kathryn
Another excellent book in this series. Eve again proves her care and compassion to stand for the dead, it doesn't matter how far back. And she knows how to reel in someone who thinks she has got away with it. Loved her reception of a cake that set of a new train of thought. Her foray into a murder in the Catholic church brings her to meet a priest that she is able to question and show her theology is pretty good too. It's not all about rules!
DaJa
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eve-dallas, 2016
Als grosser Fan der Serie bin ich auch bei diesem Band wieder auf meine Kosten gekommen und vergebe 4,5 Sterne.
ShoSho
My least favorite, I just couldn't like it very much :)
Laura Beth
As I was re-reading this one, I changed my rating from a 4 to a five. This one is just good. Two mysteries in one, and the conclusion is just so satisfying.
Connie N.
#27 in the In Death series

I've got to admit to loving this one a little bit less than my usual overwhelmingly positive reaction. This time Eve is investigating the very public death of a young priest in the Spanish area of NYC. Turns out he has a secret that no one suspected. My biggest problem with this particular book was Eve's actions when she basically baited someone into hitting her, thus being able to charge the person with assaulting an officer. It seemed cheap, somehow, and I was disappo
J.D. Robb : Salvation in Death (Spoiler Zone) 45 156 Dec 31, 2016 08:09AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, #11)
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Secrets in Death, on sale September 2017, is the 45th e ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“Eve: What is it about asking you Catholic questions that gets you all jumpy?

Eve: You're not going to hell.

Roarke: Oh, and have you got some inside intel on that?

Eve: You married a cop...you married me. I'm your goddamn salvation.”
143 likes
“Statues are too much like dolls, and dolls are creepy. You keep expecting them to blink. And the ones that smile, like this?" Eve kept her lips tight together and she curved them up. "You know they've got teeth in there. Big, sharp, shiny teeth."

I didn't. But now I've got to worry about it.”
115 likes