Start by marking “Art in the Blood (Vampire Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Art in the Blood (Vampire Files, #4)

Art in the Blood

(Vampire Files #4)

I'm a vampire, not an artist, but I know what I like.

And I don't like murder:

So when the career of a talented young artist is fatally cut short, I know I won't sleep easy in my coffin until I find the killer: But the world of high art--with its big money, bigger egos, and expensive forgeries--makes even bloodsucking seem simple. And safer.

Dead artists can live forever: An
Published February 1st 1991 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Art in the Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art in the Blood

Dark Lover by J.R. WardDracula by Bram StokerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDead to the World by Charlaine Harris
Vampires
570 books — 408 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinPrince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceThe Blade Itself by Joe AbercrombieLast Argument of Kings by Joe AbercrombieBefore They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie
Best Dark Fantasy
346 books — 645 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Art in the Blood (Vampire Files, #4)
Kati
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
A detective story of the noir kind, only with a vampire in the main role. As a friend of mine keeps saying, this is a vampire series without vampires. Jack's the only supernatural creature far and wide and he has just a few supernatural tricks up his sleeve. Other than that, it's all hard detective work as he and his friend, Charles Escott, investigate.

This particular story had little suspense but very likable characters which made up for the lack of other things. Still it felt a bit slow, not
Carol
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Vampire P.I., former journalist, Jack Fleming continues his adventures. This time, he and his friend Escott solve murders in the art community. It seemed a bit weaker than the earlier books and perhaps the art mystery genre was feeling overdone to me. So I enjoyed the continuing story between Jack and his girlfriend Bobbi, but not the mystery much.
Iona Caldwell
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This one actually had me on the fence. You could tell the author tried something new in the format of the story. One of the fatal flaws of this one was the predictability of who the main villain was.

A good mystery buff would've picked up on it at the beginning of the novel. There was also a feeling of being rushed. I still enjoyed this one but all in all, it didn't seem to fit within the first three.
Sonya madden
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The audiobook was long
Kathy
More of a whodunit story... Jack Fleming is feeling a bit out of sorts in how he manipulated the evil girl to take her life (she had killed his beloved and her own mother, just for jealousy)...

And he joins Bobbi at a reception following an art show at a mansion where she is singing for the guests... he meets a few artists, and rescues a younger one who had gotten caught cheating at craps in the back by the garage...

The players... the young one is Evan, an artist whose technique doesn't sell too
Issam
Except for one particularly sexy chapter (RE: Jack/Bobbi), where the consequences of it may —or may not— come into play later, this is pretty much a stand alone story.

Great new characters too, but I didn't care for the actual mystery itself. And, again, the book can easily be skipped if none of them plans on making another appearance in the series.

I don't mind stand alone stories, but after such a strong arc with the previous three books, I hope there will be a new one starting soon.
Kathy Davie
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
1930s noir and a vampire with a heart who interacts with the mob.

P. N. Elrod is amazing in her depiction of the time period. You can see, smell, feel, and hear it as you read.

As an artist, I very much enjoyed the artistic elements in this story. And Jack continues to amaze me with his compassion.
Christie
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this story as it brought me back to my middle school days of reading books like this one. I enjoyed the descriptions that Elrod throws in and how it makes it feel like we are in a detective role in the 1930's. It was a quick read that was easy to follow and enjoy.
Kimberly
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best vampire stories I've read. There's a little romance (it's really hard to find a vampire story that doesn't), but it is 90% very entertaining story line. If you like this genre, I would not pass these novels up.
Susan
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
This is another great story in the Vampire Files. I enjoy the gangster atmosphere as well as the overall detective work.

Targeted for adult readers.
Jacqueline
extra 1/2 star.
Kevin Connery
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Vampire Files #4
Kay
Sep 09, 2011 added it
I always enjoy P.N. Elrod.
Travis
Aug 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Our vampiric hero gets dragged into the world of art in Chicago after the death of a young artist.
One of the better mysteries and as always a likable cast saves a so-so mystery series.

Nessa Stubblefield
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting ideas. Still wish something big would happen.
Adrianne
Jane Chronister
Oct 30, 2018
Anna Rose
Dec 16, 2012

• Blood Truth (Black Dagger Legacy, #4)
  • The Golem (Montague & Strong Case Files #10)
  • Blood Vice (Blood Vice, #1)
  • The Perfect Cup: A Montague & Strong Detective Story
  • Marked in Flesh (The Others, #4)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Exile to Hell (Outlanders, #1)
  • Destiny Run (Outlanders, #2)
  • CassaStar
  • Coilhunter (The Coilhunter Chronicles, #1)
  • The Savior (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17)
  • Vision in Silver (The Others, #3)
  • The Future of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #6)
  • The Tournament of Supervillainy  (The Supervillainy Saga, #5)
  • ARC (New Earth Book 1)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Renegade (The Spiral Wars, #1)
  • Drysine Legacy (The Spiral Wars, #2)
Patricia Nead Elrod is an American fantasy writer specializing in novels about vampires. Her work falls into areas of fantasy and (in some cases) mystery or historical fiction, but normally not horror, since her vampires are the heroes. -Wikipedia

Vampire Files (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Bloodlist (Vampire Files, #1)
  • Lifeblood (Vampire Files, #2)
  • Bloodcircle (Vampire Files, #3)
  • Fire in the Blood (Vampire Files, #5)
  • Blood on the Water (Vampire Files, #6)
  • A Chill in the Blood (Vampire Files, #7)
  • The Dark Sleep (Vampire Files, #8)
  • Lady Crymsyn (Vampire Files, #9)
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)
  • Song in the Dark (Vampire Files, #11)