Jump to ratings and reviews

Brave New Girls #6

Brave New Girls: Chronicles of Misses and Machines

Tales of brainy gals and sci-fi worlds

Welcome this collection of sci-fi stories featuring brainy teen heroines. Mechanics on post-apocalyptic submerged worlds, steampunk heroines who solve mysteries and fix robots, computer geniuses who hack all and use their savvy to save the day. From near-future science lovers to space cadets on far-flung planets, this 22-story collection has something for everyone.

Proceeds from sales of this anthology will be donated to the Society of Women Engineers scholarship fund. Let’s show girls that they can be the next generation of innovators and inventors.

STORIES BY:

JD Cadmon, Flor Contreras, Paige Daniels, Mary Fan, Annie Gray, Melanie Harding-Shaw, Andrew K. Hoe, A.A. Jankiewicz, Brad Jurn, Chris Kanther, Kris Katzen, Karissa Laurel, Veronica Lee, Ira Nayman, Jelani-Akin Parham, Tyan Priss, Josh Pritchett, Mackenzie Reide, J.R. Rustrian, Elizabeth Stombock, Denise Sutton, and Raphael Sutton.

Featuring illustrations by Ariel Colon, Jarod Marchand, Adriano Moraes, RM Nielsen, Josh Pritchett, Harley Scroggins, Emily Smith, and Kay Wrenn.

400 pages, ebook

Published July 5, 2022

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mary Fan

50 books361 followers
Mary Fan is a YA and SFF author hailing from Jersey City. Her books include STRONGER THAN A BRONZE DRAGON (YA steampunk fantasy, Page Street Publishing), the STARSWEPT series (YA sci-fi, Snowy Wings Publishing), the FATED STARS series (YA fantasy, Snowy Wings Publishing), the FLYNN NIGHTSIDER series (YA dark fantasy, Crazy 8 Press), and the JANE COLT trilogy (space adventure, Red Adept Publishing).

She is also the co-editor of the BRAVE NEW GIRLS sci-fi anthologies about tech-savvy teen heroines (proceeds from sales are donated to the Society of Women Engineers scholarship fund). Her short works have been featured in numerous anthologies, including THRILLING ADVENTURE YARNS (Crazy 8 Press), LOVE, MURDER & MAYHEM (Crazy 8 Press), MAGIC AT MIDNIGHT (Snowy Wings Publishing), and MINE! (ComicMix). In addition, she is the editor of Crazy 8 Press's upcoming anthology, BAD ASS MOMS (due out July 2020).

When she's not writing, she can usually be found splitting bags at the kickboxing gym, tangled up in aerial silks, or singing too loudly at choir rehearsal. Find her online at www.MaryFan.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
25 reviews1 follower
August 12, 2022
From the opening comic strip, which features a feisty teen inventor, to the very last story, about a gated community run by faltering A.I., this book is chock-full of exciting stories! Brave New Girls: Chronicles of Misses and Machines gives you 22 tales ranging from Sci-Fi, to Steampunk, to Dystopian. The one thing they all have in common: they feature a young teenage heroine with an interest in STEM's.

The girls in these stories are smart, innovative, hard working, and know a thing or two about science. They've got the brains...and the gumption to use them!

There's a lot of creative Sci-Fi storytelling in this volume. One story features a teenage alien mechanic, who may not live to see herself become a certified "Vandermecha". This story showcases how putting the extra work into what you're passionate about pays off. Then there's the teen who pulls double duty as both an engineering apprentice AND a princess. She's trying to find out why a colony's inhabitants are paying "The Price of Progress" via polluted air. And then there's the insect loving teen, Jessamine, who's trying to save "A Planet Named Beatrice". I loved the environmental message in this story and found it very original.

The Steampunk stories are equally entertaining. "A Special Theory of Circus" introduces us to two sisters who are polar opposites. One's a science loving bookworm, the other's a trapeze swinging circus performer. Together they use the laws of physics, and some fancy circus stunts, to thwart the plans of a rival circus owner. This one is fun spirited and I actually learned some physics. In "Girls Rule the Steampunk World" a tinkering teen uses her automaton to expose a thief responsible for a series of burglaries. The tongue in cheek writing in this yarn made for a fun read!

I was most impressed, however, with the imaginative storytelling in the Dystopian category. When I think Dystopian-I typically think zombie apocalypse, post-apocalyptic, or plague outbreak; but this anthology gave me some fresh takes on one of my favorite genres. "Intergalactic Penpal Program" features a seventeen-year-old engineering intern, on the run in outer space with what's left of humanity. But they're not running from zombies or space aliens-they're running from humanities own fascist dark side.

In "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" we find what's left of humankind on large vessels at sea. A teenage aircraft mechanic has recently been given a promotion, but it comes with a heavy price in this totalitarian-ish society. She soon finds herself without parents and on the run from the only world she's ever known. 'Devil' features some superb world building and character development. I found myself on the edge of my seat with this one...turning pages faster than I could read them.

I feel the authors did a good job incorporating the STEM's elements in these stories. I found the science-ee stuff compelling without being too over my head. I think any number of these stories could easily inspire a teenaged girl to pursue a career in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics.

I must point out that all proceeds from this book, or any other book in the series, go directly to the Society of Women Engineers Scholarship Fund. So, when you buy your copy of 'Misses and Machines', your not only getting twenty-two tales of Sci-Fi awesomeness-your helping finance a young women's education. A worthy investment all around if you ask me!
1,089 reviews25 followers
July 5, 2022
The first book in the Brave New Girls series I read was the 5th installment. This 6th one is full of lovely charm with a variety of stories about different girls finding their confidence and independence while being awesome with different aspects of science.

I'd like to shout out to debut author Annie Grey who wrote a story about an android wolf that was so clever. There could be more stories told in this world and with this character.
Profile Image for Lovey.
39 reviews
January 26, 2023
A good mix of stories aimed at focusing on real-world issues in-- often-times --fantasy settings. The sections following each story deliver powerful messages and encouragement for girls to pursue STEM and the artwork preceding each story was well done.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.