Start by marking “Mind Over Magic (Psych, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mind Over Magic (Psych, #2)

Mind Over Magic

(Psych #2)

Based on the hit usa network series. Shawn Spencer has convinced everyone he's psychic. Now, he's either going to clean up- or be found out.

Murder and Magic are all in the mind...

When a case takes Shawn and Gus into an exclusive club for professional magicians, they're treated to a private show by the hottest act on the Vegas Strip, "Martian Magician" P'tol P'kah. But whe
Published July 7th 2009 by NAL (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Over Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Over Magic

Rose
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, laughs
For all the love people give Lee Goldberg's "Monk" series of tie-in novels, people tend to come down hard on William Rabkin's line of "Psych" books. But considering the high quality of the Psych books, I think the reason for this comes down to one factor: Psych doesn't translate into novel format with the same simplicity that Monk does.

The humor, tone, style, and themes of "Psych" all rely heavily on the medium of a television show. Shawn's non sequiturs, for instance, work in large part due to
 Katy
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is an Amazing read if you've watched the series . Even 2 episodes are enough for you to figure out the characters well . And as a fan of the show and Shawn and Gus 's friendship I found this book Extremely fun and I actually 'lol'ed at times really loud that my mom thought I was watching a comedymime .
Daniel
May 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tv-tie-in, mystery
I can't imagine anyone picking up this book unless they were already familiar with the television show, Psych. Therefore, it would be pointless to write about the characters. If you are familiar with the show, you will be able to read this and hear the characters' voices in your head. If you are not familiar with the show, the dialog in this book might strike you as odd, pithy, and generally annoying.

That said, even knowing the show, the dialog was somewhat forced and the situation even more med
Jenna
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This definitely a good book and it kept me entertained over the 2 day period it took me to read it. It captures the whole characterization of Shawn and Gus 100%. I understand why the book was mainly in Gus' point of view (3rd person) because he seemed to have a much more kind voice than his sometimes insensitive and self-centered friend, while still not be being a baby. Shawn always seems to be caught up in his delusions while it was Gus' job to keep him grounded. I think this kept the real spir ...more
Ashley
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love Psych and the snarkiness that is Shawn and Gus you will enjoy this book. If you never have heard of the show or seen it then it might not be for you.
Litsa Pitsa
Jennifer Oberth
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a novel based on the show "Psych."
This book was funny and entertaining!
I especially liked the Sherlock Holmes comment. And the Richard Kimble comment. And the...so...many...jokes.
There was a running joke throughout the book of a particularly strange name and I assumed I'd get super annoyed by it at some point - but I didn't! So that made for an even more delightful read.
I don't know why the description says, "...the pair will have to pose as a new mentalist act and go undercover in a wor
Mith
2.5 actually.

Well, one can't win 'em all, I guess. I didn't like this as much as its predecessor. The voices of the characters seemed a bit off. I honestly couldn't picture either Shawn or Gus saying some of the things they did in the book. It was a little short on laughs, as well, as compared to the prequel and the ending was just bizarre! It didn't make any sense! I never really understood who P'tol P'kah was (Was it just one person or were there two people taking turns? No idea). Shawn adaman
Karsyn
I loved the first 7 seasons of Psych (they should have ended there though the finale was great) and I enjoyed the first book, but I could NOT get into this one. I've been reading this off and on for months now and I finally made myself finish it. I didn't hate it, as it's a typical Psych story, but it bored the crap outta me. I don't think I'll read any more of the series.
Amanda
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If one is a fan of the show, this is a great read. It's quick and is paced much like an episode is paced. The banter is witty. All of the major characters from the early seasons make an appearance in the book.
Madisen
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I liked it, fans of the TV show will probably in joy the story. Shawns character was a little off from the show, he wasn't as out there as he is in the shows. The mystery was confusing, to say the least. I still have no idea who did what. But it was still a fun read.
Kristal
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely not the most complex mystery I have ever read, but it was still very entertaining. It also nice to think about characters that I haven't in a long time.
Vikas
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book of novelizations based on the amazingly funny series 'Psych'. It's had been many years since I had finished the TV series so it was high time to have a fair dose of nostalgia for a series which I loved even though it is only 3-4 years that it ended. While I was in the middle of the last book I started watching the series again from the beginning still love them.

This book is all about magic and magicians and how Shawn is obviously few steps ahead from all. Shawn is sent to Fo
Kassandra
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Not nearly as entertaining as it should've been.
Tracy
Perry Reed
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm going to repeat this review for all of the Psych books that I've read, since they're essentially all the same.

If you like the TV show, and it is one of my favorites, then the books aren't bad. Unfortunately, they're not very good either. I expected them to read more or less like an extended episode of the show, but they don't, really. Instead they almost entirely ignore the characters of Detectives Lassiter and O'Hara and focus pretty much exclusively on Shawn and Gus. Mostly Gus, actually,
Solace Winter
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There was almost a bonus to reading a novel of Psych rather than watching it on TV, and that was the thought process going on in everyone's heads. This is very much like any episode of Psych you would have seen in the first season, with a little more insight. The plot was fun, and while by now if you've seen all of the episodes that have aired it might be a little predictable, there is enough to keep you guessing along the way.

What made a brilliant turn in this first novel for the first season
Ronald
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
not as good as the 1st one, but if you like magic...
Jessica-Robyn
Feb 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: psych fans only
Shelves: mystery-crime
Having been a fan of the show for a while now, I was incredibly excited when I learnt there were book adaptations. This is the first of the Psych books that I've read and now that I'm done I can say that I did enjoyed the story but not in the ways that I thought I would knowing the show.

My problem with the book was that a lot of it was build up for the plot. I expected more Shawn-Gus banter and I was disappointed of how little interaction there was between the characters.

Something that I guess
Jami Zehr
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
So, I'm bit of a nerd and read a book based on a television show that I love. I liked that the author has written for the show and so the voices of Shawn, Gus, and Henry are loud and clear. I could literally hear them in my head. I wasn't too keen on all the thinking that was put in the book. I guess I would not have minded if it was one person's perspective throughout the book. But the author skipped around the second person story telling perspective a little too much and it was distracting.

Th
Megan Ridl
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Any fan of the TV show will enjoy the witty banter and running jokes present in the writing of this book. The back and forth dialog is very reminiscent of the show. I was a little annoyed that when Shawn "sees" something, it shows us what he sees but it is never explained how he comes to the conclusion that he does.
The writing takes different viewpoints from different characters in a 3rd person limited fashion, which can be interesting, and offers insight into characters.
All in all tho, it seem
Katty
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
It breaks my heart to give this book a bad review, but I just have to. This is by far one of the best shows on television and that is due to the great actors and how well they play off of each other, but when the dialogue doesn't have them behind it, it comes off rather boring.

Shawn seemed whiny and Gus was annoying, the over-explanation leading up to a punchline or literary physical comedy was painful. Juliet didn't even seem like the same character. The mystery was a weird one and would have
Krissi Bryant
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series considering I love the show. You can hear the characters voices in your brain practically while you are reading this which is awesome.

Shaun and Gus are requested by his father to take a present to his friends bachelor party....at the fortress of magic. They see a big green giant perform the dissolving man trick. Which results in the martian missing, and a dead man floating in the tank where the martian once was. Shaun and Gus are hired by the martians boss Benny Fleck.
Ben Mariner
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I absolutely love Psych. It's probably my favorite modern show. I loved the first Psych book Rabkin wrote. This one just fell short for me. There was plenty of the same thing that makes Psych such a great show, but for some reason it just didn't work for me the same way the first book did. I felt like there wasn't nearly enough of Shawn "seeing" here. It felt like I hopped from one scene to the next without any real progress and then all the sudden he's solving a murder. I don't know. It wasn't ...more
Cherie
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Psych will enjoy the magic Mind Over Magic by William Rabkin creates between the characters.

Shawn and Gus are on another case involving a supposed Martian magician P’tol P’kah and murder. Told mainly from Gus’s point of view, the novel keeps the laughs coming. Like the TV show Psych, there are so many witty and funny lines. Rabkin has a spot-on grasp of these characters.

The novel is fast-paced, funny, and at times a tad absurd. The mystery kept me guessing until the very end.

If you can’t
Crystal Caldwell
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-on-nook
I thought it was a good mystery, keep me reading to find out what happened. I found myself rolling my eyes at bit as some of Shawn and Gus's banter seemed to go on a little longer than necessary for what I'm guessing was less about laughs than just about page filler. Also, I found it a bit much that he had the whole wrap up so staged - I guess that is what happens in the show, but in the show it seems to more or less just come together than Shawn gets the police to force everyone we met in the b ...more
Janastasia Whydra
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic, mystery, tv
William Rabkin's Mind Over Magic is the second novel tie-in with television series psych. Although you do not have to watch the entire series (note: it's still on air) to understand the storyline of Rabkin's books, I wonder why you wouldn't be watching the show in the first place. Assuming you have watched the show and enjoyed it, then you'll probably enjoy reading this book as well. I think the magic theme in this novel does a wonderful job reflecting psych because of how magic is about misdire ...more
Sue
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, psych-tv-show
As all the other psych-books I read, this one can't reach the TV show either.
I liked how Rabkin wrote Lassiter.
What I didn't like about this book was:
- the final solution
- how he put really great characters in there for a few pages (what a waste)
- the way he writes a given situation in the very beginning of the chapter just to jump back in time to tell how that happened (he did it in several chapters and that just bad writing)

I really wish I could say something better about this book because
Danielle Hartzler
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ypsych
I really enjoyed this book. The characters seemed much like themselves. I didn't enjoy the chapters from random characters point of view and I wish instead the entire book was told from Shawn/Gus POV. I laughed a lot, I enjoyed the random pop culture references, the standard nickname for Gus. This book could easily be an episode of Psych.

Oh, I should mention one more thing. If you have never seen Psych 1) you should, immediately. Best show ever. And 2) this book would not be as fun or enjoyable
705dhara
The book Mind over Magic is based on the TV show Psych, and really, it was pretty good. I mean, it was like a new episode( THIS WAS NOT AN ACTUAL EPISODE OF PSYCH. SOMEONE WROTE THIS FOR FUN. NOT THE WRITERS OF THE SHOW.) but it was quite confusing because there are so many chacters, and in the show, you have there face to remember them by, but in the book, it's harder to remember. I was left thinking "What now?" everytime a character who i was supposed to know popped up again. BUt, Overall, i ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr. Monk, #4)
  • Warehouse 13: A Touch of Fever
  • Psych's Guide to Crime Fighting for the Totally Unqualified
  • Eureka: Road Less Traveled (Eureka, #3)
  • The Bad Beat (Burn Notice #5)
  • Mr. Monk Helps Himself (Mr. Monk #16)
William Rabkin is a two-time Edgar Award nominee who writes the Psych series of novels and is the author of Writing the Pilot. He has consulted for studios in Canada, Germany, and Spain on television series production and teaches screenwriting at UCLA Extension and as an adjunct professor in UC Riverside's low-residency masters program.

William Rabkin has written and/or produced more than 300 hours

Psych (5 books)
  • A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read (Psych, #1)
  • The Call of the Mild (Psych, #3)
  • A Fatal Frame of Mind (Psych, #4)
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)