Start by marking “Purses and Poison (Haley Randolph, #2)” as Want to Read:
Purses and Poison (Haley Randolph, #2)

Purses and Poison (Haley Randolph #2)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  647 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Fashion sleuth Haley Randolph is back for another murderous romp with the stylish set at Holt's Department Store...When Haley arrives at the Holt employee luncheon and fashion show, she spies a sick server hiding in a back room. Deciding to help out, Haley grabs a uniform. The catered array of food and personalized fruit bouquets from Edible Elegance is a hit until top fas ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Purses and Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purses and Poison

Catherine
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick read. But did not like the main character Haley. It is hard to get interested in such a selfish person who only did things for herself. She lied all the time, because she felt she was too important to bother. Don't think I will read any more about her. Too many good books out there to read.
Amy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun read in this second installment of the Hayley Randolph series. Although I am no "fashionista" and I usually consider a bargain to be a great purse found at a yard sale or at thrift shop, I enjoy reading about her (mis) adventures. Finding who poisoned her possible romantic rival is not easy and there are as many as there are designer handbags. The romantic tension between her and Ty escalates, almost a bit too much for me, but not enough to sidetrack the mystery.

I look forward to the next
Annette Drake
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I finished this book last night. I think the author, Dorothy Howell, did not like the protagonist she created. I wonder if she was under some sort of a deadline and didn't have the time to craft a mystery, but just wrote verbatim what the voices in her head dictated to her. I found the protagonist unlikeable. She was a silly, spoiled girl who cared only for herself. This is the second cozy mystery I have reviewed where I use those words to describe the main character. Is that a feature of this g ...more
Jenn
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book...was pretty bad. Haley Randolph is a horrible human being who very occasionally does something nice. If you like those insipid Shopaholic books, you'll love Haley....she makes the same stupid mistakes and tells the same type of lies. The "who" in whodunit was pretty transparent. The ending was sad and pathetic, without meaning to be. Just, blech. It gets an extra star because it was very readable and I didn't give up on it. No, really. I'm feeling generous.
Connie
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ferne
Nov 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves to shop & particularly for new purses!
I read the first novel in the series earlier this year. I don't recall the exact time frame and decided I would try another title in the series. I classify this type of book as "light and fluffy" and I sometimes can enjoy the fun moments in a light read. However, I didn't enjoy this novel beginning on the opening page of Chapter 2 and unfortunately retain that opinion as I finished it.

A few paragraphs into Chapter 2, the main character, Haley Randolph says, "I pointed to a heavyset woman wearing
Cecilia
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Dalene
Sep 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, cozy-mystery
Original review posted at A Date with a Book

I am enjoying this series. There’s not a lot of depth with the characters, but definitely a lot of humor in the story. Haley is a perfect sleuth. As ditzy as she may seem because of her love of purses and not wanting to pay attention at times, she is able to settle down and solve the crime. She also is connected with her resources to assist her in getting what she need. I loved how Haley got wrapped up with the cat and kittens escapade.

The murder in
Cecelia
May 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wasn't expecting a lot from this book. And in the end, I didn't get much. Pretty much a cliché book with it's never ending foreshadowing and thoughtless cliffhangers.
The characters were pretty bland and remained pretty two-dimensional throughout the whole thing. I especially disliked the way the main character was portrayed; she seemed like a totally independent stereotypical female that likes to "solve crimes". Sort of leaning towards the Nancy Drew side of this. Surprisingly I didn't hate
Lisa Brown
There has been another murder at Holt's department store, and of course, Haley Randolph just happens to be in the wrong place at the right time to be accused of murder. With all this new craziness, it is becoming hard to balance her new college courses, her job, her "boyfriend," and of course, her shopping. But somehow, Haley will rise above it all, and might just solve the murder.

Another super fun, light fluffy read. All of the fun of the Shopaholic books, but without the swearing and sex.
Ingrid
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dorothy-howell
I enjoyed this book like the rest in the series. I laughed almost on every page. The mysteries to solve are very well plotted. I could not guess the murderer and that (being a mystery buff0 was/is the best part. I'm almost finished with the series and am sad that it will come to an end.

I hope Dorothy continues to add Haley Randolph delightful adventures.

P.S. to Dorothy, "Please don't have Ty and Haley get together to soon. That will spoil the fun with Sara Covington. Oh Crap!!!
Lisa
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Only about the second mystery I have read since my 'Nancy Drew' days. Kind of cute, mildly humorous, characters about as deep as a kiddie pool, a quick read. Definitely a 'summer read'. It is apparently the 2nd book about the lead character, but I won't expend any energy in hunting down the first one. If I stumble across it, I might pick it up.
Susan
Jun 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Heiress Haley Randolph is still working in a Los Angeles discount store to keep herself in beer money and Snickers, when her boyfriend's ex-girlfriend is murdered at an employees' party. Haley had filled in for an ailing server, and she lies to the police, for fear that she'll be suspected. So she decides to investigate the death herself, finding herself under more and more suspicion.
Dl Hood
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
The second in this new series successfully continues the hilarious escapades of a self-absorbed, but surprisingly savvy purse-aholic. She always knows just the perfect designer handbag to accessorize with, even solving a murder.
Amber Jones
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cozy mystery. Nothing gory, but the main character reminds me of Rebecca Bloomwood. Kind of ditzy and goofy. Easy read. There is a third book in this series and another book coming out next July.
Lisa
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good gracious. Are there people like Haley in real life? I can't even fathom knowing someone like that...obsessed with purses, blind to the world around her, fixated on Cosmos quizzes so she can feign a relationship with Ty. Could barely finish it.
Lesley
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked this book.A bit cheesy and I didn't realize that it was #2 in a series so I had to catch up and figure out a little about book #1. And I am terrible at mysteries so I always look to the end to see who the murderer is before I get to it.
Melodie
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
This is the sophomore entry in the Haley Randolph series and not as good as the first one. Haley comes off as very unlikeable and a total airhead. I'll wait for paperback on the next one! I'm glad I picked this up cheap on eBay and turned it back around for more than I paid for it!
Lizzie
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mysteries it is definitly the season for mysteries, though Im moving to another series for a while I still love Haley, I really did like this book better than the first one but I still think the best is yet to come
Sarah Adamson
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Easy to read fun cozy mystery but just didn't interest me. I am not into fashion and didn't appreciate any of the handbag talk. I also didn't like the "relationship" between the main character and her boyfriend. Just was not interesting to me.
Chris
Apr 05, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is hilarious! The terribly shallow, dishonest, self-centered main character is so awful she's hilarious! And once in a while she shocked me by doing something kind. I liked this more than the first one! Its just great for a relaxing, funny, murder mystery!
Jaynan
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Hayley Randolph. She's become the comic relief in my stressful life! This is far from the typical thriller/murder mystery. Hayley's logic is laugh out loud funny. I hope the author writes fast, because I can't wait for the next book.
Katie
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it
It was ok for what it was. Leading lady annoyed me at first then got to like her. Probally would have been better if I read the first book first, but not hard to understand if you didn't. But would of made characters more likeable.
Dina Black
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Light humor/mystery. She reminds me of a lot of people. Means well, tries to do the right thing then it backfires on her.Gets in trouble but doesn't want to admit what she was doing so she becomes a sleuth trying to get to the bottom of the situation and clear her name.
Christine
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure I can even finish it...very predictable and not a lot of depth in the writing. I didnwaste my time! The old saying...Don't judge a book by the cover...definitely applies. Cover was attractive .....story not so much!
Linda
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another good entry in the Haley Randolph series. Haley gets into all sorts of trouble and solves the murder to get herself out of it and of course it ends in a cliffhanger. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Angela
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chic-lit, mystery
An excellent addition to the series.
Clare Havens
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolute riot! Irreverent and fast paced it is a real breath of fresh air! Can't wait to read more!
Mila Said
Sep 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
It's amusing, easy reading and kinda funny. But I'm not buying another book from this series. Two is enough he3x,,,
Joan Mueller
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this series. Fun character and plot
  • Hysterical Blondeness
  • Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)
  • Pick Me Up
  • Death of a Trophy Wife (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #9)
  • A Most Lamentable Comedy
  • The Balance Thing
  • The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • The One That Got Away (Hen Night Prophecies #1)
  • Lost for Words
  • The Chalet Girl
  • Blue Remembered Heels - Sepatu Biru Kenangan
  • Mounting Desire
  • Death, Taxes, and a Skinny No-Whip Latte (Tara Holloway, #2)
  • My Three Husbands
  • Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains (Dandy Gilver, #5)
Dorothy Howell writes for two publishing houses, in two genres, under two names. She writes mysteries as Dorothy Howell historical romance novels under the pseudonym Judith Stacy.

Haley Randolph (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Handbags and Homicide (Haley Randolph, #1)
  • Shoulder Bags and Shootings (Haley Randolph, #3)
  • Clutches and Curses (Haley Randolph, #4)
  • Slay Bells and Satchels (A Haley Randolph Mystery)
  • Tote Bags and Toe Tags (Haley Randolph Series, #5)
  • Evening Bags and Executions
  • Duffel Bags and Drownings (Haley Randolph #6.5)
  • Beach Bags and Burglaries
  • Fanny Packs and Foul Play (A Haley Randolph Mystery)
  • Swag Bags and Swindlers

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Night Gardener
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Southern Storm (Cape Refuge Series, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Head In The Sand (DI Nick Dixon #2)
  • The Lake House
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)
    $4.99 $2.49