Start by marking “Fat Cat” as Want to Read:
Fat Cat

Fat Cat

An experiment so bold, anyone might think it was a little crazy...

Catherine Locke is smart, ambitious, and--okay, not the slimmest girl around. But she's always cared more about her brain than her body. So far that's gotten her where she wanted: into the most advanced, competitive science class at her high school, where she'll once again face her fiercest rival, Matt McKin
Published November 28th 2016 by Ryer Publishing (first published October 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fat Cat, please sign up.
Laura She was a weather girl, like a superhero type of weather girl.

Cara
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
This book reminded why I love reading so much. I learned so many new things without being banged over the head with textbook mumbo jumbo. I almost fell out of chair when she talked about the Tarahumara indians (it's a joke in my family).

Cat is well fat and is carrying around a lot of resentment. She is smart and she has good friends but again she's fat. Every year she enters the science fair and this year she plans to beat Matt no matter what happens. The experiment that she takes on is pretty
Jessica
*Happy sigh* This was absolutely fabulous!

If I try to come up with anything I didn’t like about this book I’m drawing a total blank. Our narrator Cat is awesome, she’s smart and witty and she made me laugh out loud at regular intervals throughout the entire book. I also loved that even when her pounds melted away and she regained some self-confidence she stayed true to herself. I kind of expected the story to go like they all do and was prepared for Cat to turn into a total bitch but luckily thi
Tatiana
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of light, fun YA
Recommended to Tatiana by: Lisa McMann, A.S. King
Shelves: 2010, ya
"Fat Cat" is what I call a light YA story done right. It's not overly depressing (being an "issue" book and all that), or immature, or oversexed.

It is story of an overweight girl who turns to healthy lifestyle as a part of her science project and in the process of getting her body in shape, gets her inner self in shape too. Cat is an extremely likable character. In spite of her hang-ups that she tries to "eat," she is a smart and fun girl, a great friend and daughter.

You will not find drugs, al
L.E. Fidler
there will always be a soft spot in my life for young adult fiction, but not crap like this.

Fat Cat is a fat girl's cinderella story - the incredibly fictional account of how one science-oriented young woman lost a ton of weight, became incredibly hot, and dated half the swim team in her personal quest to get her one true love to admit he's a tool and fall in love with her.

or something.

i wanted to like cat. i think any female who's ever struggled with weight issues or felt uber-nerdy and unappr
Arlene
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Definitely an inspiring and motivating story as the main character embarks on an ambitious experiment to see what would happen if she cut out processed food, artificial sweeteners, technology and motorized transportation. It was amazing to see Cat morph into a new person both in body and attitude and refreshing to hear her tell her story in such an inspiring and snarky voice. I had a great time following her through her journey.

About the book: Catherine Locke and Matt McKinney have been arch ene
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book was adorable. And sexy. Adorably sexy. I'm so pleased with having picked this up. I found it a little slow at times, which is why I gave it a four instead of a five, but overall I adored this read. Definitely recommend to anyone searching for a witty contemporary.
Valerie
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I finished this book in one day so that must say something about it. It was a more fast pace book even though there wasn’t suspense or action in it. The chapters are fairly short and the writing style is modern and easy.

In the first half of the book I was sure I was going to give it 5 stars because Cat was so funny, smart and just a really great girl with so much drive –she is definitely into science. The whole eating and being like cavemen thing was informative; I learned a good amount and few
~Tina~
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ahh yes, words. How they can kill you and destroy your world when uttered by someone you care about. Especially if those words are said when your thirteen years old and the guy your crushing on, your very best friend, calls you Fat, behind your back.
Yeah, boys totally suck.

Fat Cat is such a great book. It's really smart, entertaining and completely captivating. I devoured this in one sitting.

I really enjoyed Cat. She has issues, but she's smart and feisty and so very brave. That project was craz
Tamara
4,5 stars

*sigh*

I dont know how to write a review for this one. CAUSE IT ROCKED!!!

Am I the only one who struggles with writing a review for a book she really really liked? Rants are so easy to write. Awesome books? Umm, not so much.

Let’s start with what I didnt like.

Umm…

Cant remember.

HA.

Ok, Now let’s talk about what I liked: EVERYTHING!

To be honest, after reading the synopsis I thought this book would be really medicore. But boy, was I wrong. First of all; I loved I mean LOVED the characters. Cat
Tiffany
Apr 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: april-2016
Honestly? This was garbage.

It spins a message of self acceptance that comes only after the main character has literally transformed her physical appearance and as a direct result gained the affections of her true love.

The fact that Matt once called Cat (UGH, I KNOW) fat when they were 13 and that she held an active grudge against him and refused to speak to him for over three years, had NOTHING to do with the fact that she wanted to lose weight. Riiiiight.

The author tries to make the reader bel
Daydream Believer
Ach war das schön ❤
Eine wirklich außergewöhnliche Geschichte ✨
Ganz klare Leseempfehlung ! ☺
Okapi
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
After seeing the five gleaming golden stars that Fat Cat has on Amazon, I knew this book was a must read. Yet upon finishing Fat Cat, mixed feelings for this novel raced through my mind. This book is like a chunk of granite, embedded with both pretty and ugly flakes of other rock. Overall, its good qualities marginally dominate the poor ones, making this novel a sweet, light read that managed to alter my own lifestyle.

I was not sure what to make of Cat's personality; There were times when I want
jesse
Dec 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, own

cat wants to win with her project in fizer's special topics research science class badly, because it would mean green light for getting a recommendation for college applications and eventually even winning scholarships. basically a freet-ticket to reaching her dreams. problem: cat's topic for her 7-month project is about something she's totally NOT interested in.

stone age. neanderthals. hominids. homo erectus.

cat hates herself. cat hates her body. but cat finds an interesting topic for
willaful
I started this in a somewhat dubious mood, since I hate books in which the fat girl loses weight and then gets the guy -- especially when she just gets really busy and then suddenly discovers she’s become thin. Blech. This did not turn out to be that kind of book: Cat does lose a considerable amount of weight, but she works damn hard to achieve it. And though she does get a guy, that’s not really the reason why.

High school senior Cat has hated her former best friend Matt McKinney for almost four
Isamlq
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
oh, book! you've made me happy today :)

there are times when mindless fluff just does it for me. at first glance, one might assume fat cat to be those thing. and it did get pretty fluffy a couple of moments there; i'm not kidding when i say it brought back some of what i felt when reading hayes's so over you, but this has got so much more going for it.

foremost of which are the people in it: they are each others equal. i've complained time and again of friendships that seemed unlikely, as in the
laaaaames
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Don't you just love books that simultaneously say you should like fat people for who they are while spending so much time on how much better you'll look and feel once you're not fat anymore? Also: totally sex-negative. This reminds me of all the books I read when I was in like middle school where the worst thing a boy could do would be touch your boob. Yeah, getting to second is definite cause for alarm.

I'm frustrated too because outside of these problematic issues, Brande is a really skilled wr
oliviasbooks
Oct 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "Flavor of the Week" by Shaw and "Dear Julia" by Zemser
Sorry, guys. I had time today to snuggle up - fitted out with coffee, Cat and cookies. I liked it a lot and I had to keep reading and reading. It missed a few things to be perfect, though. Maybe I can verbalize them later.
Alexa
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love satisfying endings. This book was funny & smart, and Cat was a great character. :)
Anna
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teenage girls, Loretta
There's so much that I liked about this book. It wasn't perfect and there is stuff that I take issue with but overall I had a hard time putting this down and I really enjoyed the time I spent reading it.

I love that science has such a prevalent and interesting role in this book. Science goes beyond just being a school subject and the book isn't about winning some high school science fair. Well, it is, but it really isn't. Science in this book actually has meaning and I love that Cat explores foo
Hélène Louise
This read could have been a favorite: the writing is good, with an easy flow, the characters are mostly clever and nice (well, except Amanda who'is boringly perfect and Matt who doesn't have a chance to have a personality), the main theme is brilliant and fun. But I couldn't help having a permanent sense of botched writing during my reading.

This book has such bright qualities that its flaws are sadly emphasised. Nothing catastrophic, this read was quite enjoyable, but I didn't appreciate the ba
Brooke
Love. Such a good read! Educational, enjoyable, insightful. Everyones basically described of before me. Definitely worth the read, just disappointed it took me so long to actually dedicate myself to reading it! :o)
Pamela
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good! Thanks, Reese, for recommending it!
Jennifer Wardrip
Jan 29, 2010 marked it as to-read-i-own-it
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Catherine Locke has hated Matt McKinney ever since she overheard him say something mean about her at the seventh grade science fair. Before that fateful day, they were best friends. Now, she just wants to win this year's science fair. Science fair participation is a requisite for Mr. Fizer's Special Topics in Research Science class. The only problem is her project will depend on what picture she pulls from his stack. Mr. Fizer creates a folder with various
Shauna
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
In the spirit of New Year's resolutions, and with a taste for something light and fluffy, I decided to give Fat Cat a go.

When Cat pulls a photograph of a gathering of our Homo Erectus ancestors I will not snicker, I am a grown up for a science project, she decides to ask the question,
CAN MODERN HUMANS BENEFIT FROM RETURNING TO THE EATING & LIFESTYLE HABITS OF THE EARLY HOMININS?
with herself as the guinea pig.
Cat lacks confidence. Cat hates her body. So this piece of insanity marvelous idea
Mrs. Reed
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
So, Robin Brande, since you're a goodreads author, I'll start by addressing you: I'm an adult, not a "young" adult. I picked up your book out of my classroom library because I liked the cover and I needed something to read on my way home from work (don't worry, I take the train). I feel like part of your purpose in writing this was to reveal to young people how much their eating and exercise habits influence other parts of their lives, and at least for me, it totally worked. Now, I'm already a f ...more
Tressa
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Stas
It's rare, in a sense. After finishing the book I know exactly what I want to say. Here goes.

This book has potential to change somebody's life, probably? But it's not without flaws. And it does absolutely nothing for me personally. I wouldn't call it a waste of time, but I didn't like it much.

The healthy living message wasn't too forceful, but maybe it's because I mostly ignored it. I can do that, unless it gets too forceful - then I quit altogether. I'm just not invested in listening to preache
Tasnia
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book had so much promise. I was expecting a true adventure into science but the book falls short of its premise. The science project takes a backseat half way through the book and Cat just becomes too preoccupied with her looks and boys.

And the grudge that she holds on Matt?? In FOUR years he didn't once ask her why she suddenly stopped talking to him? Seriously?

I understand what Matt did was hurtful but I feel it was blown way out of proportion and certainly wasn't interesting/juicy enou
Megan
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fat Cat is one of the funniest books I've read in a while. There are so many topics and issues thrown in one novel so interestingly without it being overwhelming. When a book is entertaining while teaching readers a lesson, you know that it is a great book.

Fat Cat is about a girl names Cat who is, as I'm sure you have inferred, overweight. When she bases her science project on simplifying her diet to how the first humans on Earth, everything changes for her. Not only does she have a great idea
Marci
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh book, you've made me very happy!!! Fat Cat is definitely going on my favorites shelf!! Cat has inspired me to take better care of myself! Eat healthier, exercise, and make the most out of every single second!!! Cat before the experiment: smart, funny, fat. Cat after the experiment: smart, funny, hot. For her science fair project Cat Locke has decided to go back to the caveman times. Where they didn't have technology and junk food to make them overweight, and ridden with health related disease ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #58 Fat Cat 1 1 Sep 03, 2015 06:44AM
Character Education 1 17 Oct 28, 2011 06:53AM
  • Muchacho
  • Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have
  • Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3)
  • Little Blog on the Prairie
  • Pop
  • Wish
  • Flash Burnout
  • Artichoke's Heart
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • Riding Invisible
  • After Ever After (Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie, #2)
  • Hero-Type
  • The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet
  • Into the Wild Nerd Yonder
Robin Brande is an award-winning author, former trial attorney and law instructor, black belt in martial arts, girls’ and women’s self-defense instructor, yoga instructor, teacher, entrepreneur, and certified wilderness medic.

Connect with Robin at:
www.robinbrande.com
www.facebook.com/robinbrande
www.twitter.com/robinbrande.
“You know what they say," Amanda said. "Hatred isn't the opposite of love, it's just another variation of it. They both mean you have passionate feelings for someone.” 48 likes
“They say your muscles have memory. Once you've trained your arms to swing a tennis racket or your legs to ride a bike, you can quit for a while - years even - and all it takes is picking up a racket or jumping on a bike again and your muscles remember what to do. They snap right back to performing the way you taught them.

The heart is a muscle, too. And I've been training mine since I was a kid to fall in love with one particular person.”
24 likes