Start by marking “Little Quack's Bedtime” as Want to Read:
Little Quack's Bedtime

Little Quack's Bedtime (Little Quack)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Good night, little ducklings, good night!

Join Widdle, Waddle, Piddle, Puddle, and of course, Little Quack, as Mama gets them ready for bed. One by one these curious, fuzzy babies, drift away to sleep until finally Little Quack is the only duckling still awake. With a little loving encouragement from Mama, Little Quack finally closes his eyes and dreams. This Classic Board
Board Book, 34 pages
Published January 6th 2009 by Little Simon (first published November 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Little Quack's Bedtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Quack's Bedtime

I love Little Quack, and this translation of Little Quack's Bedtime is no exception. As with all good pictures books, the illustrations tell more than half of the story.

Cuaquito (Little Quack) and his four siblings are trying to fall asleep when something in the darkness frightens them. Mama duck demystifies each startling object and, one by one, the ducklings fall asleep. There is a clue on the page preceding the revelation of each "thing." Readers will enjoy trying to guess what the thing is b
Before my son could say duck, he could quack, so he called a duck a "quack, quack". When I would read him this story, he would quack at every page. It was incredibly adorable. And so are the illustrations in this book.

I keep a stack of books on a bookshelf within my son's reach. Of course, they are all the virtually indestructible board book (even some of the board books are showing signs of wear, so only virtually indestructible). I let him "read" his books during the day and pick out the books
A.J. Llewellyn
I have been doing Dots for Tots on this book for some months as a volunteer at Braille Institute. I had no idea until I began placing the sticky Braille dots over the words in this book that blind children are as afraid of the dark as some children with sight are.
Knowing that, this book touched me deeply because the mother duck reassures her brood that the sounds and shadows of the night are nothing to fear.
The ducklings, especially Little Quack, are adorable and beautifully rendered.
I've learn
A sweet bedtime book featuring five ducklings and their mama. The repetitive answers mama duck gives to soothe her babies' nervous questions contain some lovely language. The illustrations are rich and round and appealing. They also help further the storyline since they often mirror what the ducklings think they are seeing. My only question is why only Cuaquito's name appears in the title, other than the fact that he is the last to go to sleep?
Marissa Reyes
The text Little Quacks Bedtime by Lauren Thompson exemplifies exactly how children are when it comes to bedtime. So this book is a great teaching mechanism for parents who have a troubled sleeper. The author also does a great job collaborating with the illustrator as the text and the number of figures in the pictures match so children who have to use their finger to count the figures in front of them in order to understand the text they have that option. This book was enjoyable to read because i ...more
Brittany Perry
cute book and fun for little ones watching as the ducklings drift off to sleep.
This book is about Little Quack, his four siblings, and their mom. It is night time and bedtime is approaching. They hear noises in the dark and keep asking Mama what it is. She tells them and then one by one they fall asleep. Little Quack is the last one awake and he does not like the dark until Mama explains it is so the stars can twinkle. This is a good book for ages 4-8. It could be used to teach children about their surroundings and how the world prepares for bedtime.
Mar 08, 2010 Tamra rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and kids
Aww, so cute. I want a Little Quack of my own.

I'm bugged that the answer to "Why is the night so dark?" is "So that the stars can shine." What? It's so we can go to sleep easier, all related to levels of hormones in our bodies. Of course. The stars might be the "cuddly mom" answer, but they're not the REAL answer. No 5 stars for you, Thompson. :)
Nicole Breinholt
Apr 08, 2008 Nicole Breinholt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms, anyone shopping for a gift
Shelves: childrens-books
I read this book to my 3 year old daughter every night. She loves it. The illustrations are beautiful and the flow of the language is calming. She knows most of the words by heart. If you're having any trouble with scary monsters with your little one this book might help. I picked it up in Barnes & Noble a year ago and we still love it.
My 19 month old son cannot get enough of this adorable book. The pictures are endearing, as is the story itself that sends the message that darkness can make ordinary, even joyful things seem sinister, but all is well when you are under the wing of the one who loves you. :)
This is a great book for predictions. Little Quack keeps getting scared by the shadows in the night. Slowly, Little Quack finds that these shadows are coming from objects that really are not scary. I would have the students make predictions about what the shadows really are.
Sarah Stumphf
This is a really cute book about things that scare us as we are settling down to sleep at night and the simple explanations for them. My two year old seemed to really get into this story and enjoy it as he fought his own battle to stay awake.
Amanda Aziyade
This is adorable and a great bedtime storybook. We've read it about 30 times in the past couple of weeks. I just about have it memorized...

Oh, spoiler alert: Little Quack does eventually go to sleep. Unlike some children in my household.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A cute bedtime book with a fun pattern for younger children to follow along. The little ducklings names and facial expressions are what the book work for me.

Derek Anderson is a local, so we are going to try and read all of his works :).
We got this for free from Santa at a Christmas function months ago, but didn't read it until now because its a bit long. I liked how the repetitive nature of the story made for a sleepy feeling, just right for a bed time story.
if your kid isn't afraid of the dark before reading this book, he will be after you are done! also your kid will never look at trees the same way again as they are obviously evil night monsters with claws
I love the names of the 5 little ducks and the way that the ducks have emotions and the onomatopoeia of the sounds in this book. Good for read aloud and hand motions.
One of my niece & nephews favorites. Read it every time they come over. I love to see the look of concern, then relief on my nephew's face page by page. So cute.
Our 2nd Little Quack book. Cute. Lots of repitition. First time our little one's actually fallen asleep to a bedtime story, and oh, what a magical feeling that was!
Chinasa Izeogu
The kids loved this book during an evening story time. They were very engaged and knew almost all the night sounds. Reeds threw them for a loop. Highly recommended.
Cute little bedtime story for kids. Each duckling is scared of something but Mom always shows them that they are safe. It is a sweet little story. Ages Birth+
Aug 19, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
This is a sweet little story about little ducklings settling down for sleep. The repetitive and soothing narrative is perfect for bedtime reading.
Little Quack and his siblings are scared of various noises in the dark, but Mama Duck explains it all & they each drift off to sleep.
This is a cute book about 5 little ducks hearing and seeing things and must know what it is before settling down for sleep. :)
Cute little book with adorable little ducks. The mother keeps them all safe and assured that they will all be okay!
Emily Peery
Oct 12, 2007 Emily Peery rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids!
Shelves: childrens
This book came in a Cheerios box, and has become a staple of our bedtime routine. We love it!
I think its my little boy's favorite book! I love reading it to him at "sleepy time" :)
Jennifer Harrell Scott
I must have read this book to my son every night for a year after he was born :)
A story about bedtime and not being afraid of the dark. Also works for duck storytime.
  • Time to Sleep
  • One Drowsy Dragon
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Snowmen All Year
  • Two at the Zoo
  • The Goodnight Train
  • The Sleepy Little Alphabet: A Bedtime Story from Alphabet Town
  • Alphabet
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • Duck & Goose, How Are You Feeling?
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read

• Little Quack's New Friend
  • Little Quack's ABC's
  • Little Quack's Opposites
  • Little Quack's Bath Book
Little Quack The Christmas Magic Polar Bear Night Mouse's First Fall The Apple Pie That Papa Baked