Start by marking “Double Play (Pacific Heat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Double Play (Pacific Heat, #1)

Double Play

(Pacific Heat #1)

Getting to first base is a cinch...But getting home will take a grand slam...

Pace Martin is the ace pitcher for the Pacific Heat. He's got the arm, the experience, and the wins. He's also got the pain, the pressure, and the possible end of his career looming over him. The last thing he needs now is a distraction, even if it comes in the form of a tough, beautiful, tell-it-
Mass Market Paperback, 282 pages
Published July 7th 2009 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Double Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Play

Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary/Sports Romance

What a light, easy, breezy, fun, and sexy read! I loved everything about this book: Shalvis’s witty writing, the snappy dialogue, the hot, steamy, sweet romance, spunky reporter Holly Hutchins, and drop-your-panties-cause-he’s-so-damn-sexy, star pitcher Pace Martin. Or as Holly would say, “Holy hot tamales, Batman”.

I’m a fan of most sports, but baseball has never been a favorite. It’s just too slow, methodical, and boring for me, but go figure; I’ve always lo
Auntee
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of contemporary sports romance
This was a very sweet, and sometimes hot read, especially for any baseball fans. For non-baseball fans, I'm not too sure if you would enjoy it as much, because even though it is a romance, it does spend some time on a lot of behind the scenes baseball stuff: groupie-stalkers, baseball superstitions, the media, drug scandals/testing, pressures to perform, career expectations, dealing with injuries, etc. Sports fans may find this interesting (as I did), but others may find that it takes away a bit ...more
Miss Kim
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Shalvis fans who like baseball
Shelves: contemporary, 2009
I am a fan of Jill Shalvis; however, this one didn’t do much for me. I did enjoy the H & H, but felt the whole thing dragged on way too long. Holly is a reporter assigned to write a weekly blog about a major league baseball team. Her boss wants her to find a secret to expose. She ends up following the team around the country during the season, and getting to know and interview the team. Pace is the star pitcher of the Santa Barbara Heat, and is at first not interested in Holly at all. He hat ...more
Samantha
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I have never read a Jill Shalvis book and I had no clue what to expect. Not being a big baseball fan, I was some what leery of my reactions to this book. Surprisingly, I was knocked off my feet with this one. Jill Shalvis delivers enough energy, witt and romance to keep her readers entertain. What I loved the most was that while she threw in the sports stuff there was enough romance to keep me going.

Pace Martin is the star pitcher for the Pacific Heat. He’s going through a rough time. Once an ar
Courtnie

Ultra light and breezy - lots of dialogue. Entertaining with an scorching hot pitcher and a independent and capable (albeit classically nosy) journalist.

Pace is an ace pitcher in the middle of the season of his career, when a nagging shoulder problem threatens to derail his train. The last thing he needs is a woman to distract him from his focus on the game and therapy he needs for healing.

Holly is a journalist hired by the Heat baseball team to spread a little good publicity through a
Tina "IRead2Escape"
Oh my god, I honestly don't think that Jill Shalvis can write a bad book. Having read the Lucky Harbor series and loving it I figured I would try the Pacific Heat series and it didn't let me down. I may even love it more than the Lucky Harbor series. I know, gasp! Keep in mind, I love anything to do with sports, so this probably influences that thought.

Pace Martin is the pitcher of the professional baseball team the Pacific Heat. He's feeling old and afraid that the rest of the world is going to
Lyndi W.
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
My friends and I trade e-books and I traded my Patricia Cornwell collection for a Jill Shalvis collection (and seriously doubting my sanity because of it). So I've been trying to tear through the collection so I can trade it in for something horribly smutty, which means I've basically read the same author for a week now. Not a good idea.

After a handful of DNFs where the tropes and cliches were so abundant it was almost parody, I've finished maybe 10 books? And now I'm starting to recognize phras
jvan326
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Stephanie
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports-romance
4.5 stars!!! I really enjoyed this book, but I am a baseball nut!!! I know for a fact that baseball players don’t mess with a streak, but come on, making out in a smelly shower before every game. This is what Pace and Holly were forced to do before every game by his manager. Now I fully believe there is a baseball god and that you must respect him, but this was a tad unbelievable that someone as smart and sassy as Holly would put up with this. And a bit annoying. I guess though it was necessary ...more
Wicked Incognito Now
I can't point to anything wrong with this book per se, I just found it really bland.

I was about halfway through with it thinking...I wish I were already done with this so I could read something else. Snap! I don't HAVE to finish this book! So, I didn't.
I had the same problem with the other Jill Shalvis book that I read, Instant Attraction, SB Sarah and the Dear Author gang talked it up big time for their "Save the Contemporary" hoo ha, and I just thought it was blah. Not bad. The writing was wel
Aly
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
31 year-old Pace Martin is a star pitcher in the major league, playing for the Santa Barbara's Pacific Heat. He lives and breathe baseball. Halfway in their third season, he's having his best one to date, but he's also got injuries and pain that could compromise everything. And new this year is the presence of Holly Hutchins, a reporter who specialise in finding secrets to expose. Will she find one with this team ? And can she deal between the balance of the heart and the mind if need be ?

Pace h
Kelly22

4.00 Star Contemporary Sports Romance!

Woah! What can I say; Jill Shalvis precisely acted like herself in writing another superb contemporary romance novel all over again! Well no, I ain’t complaining at all!

The ingredients of Double Play includes a witty, sexy romantic storyline, with an added twist of humor to proceed as a garnish! Making it one yummy novel to read! :D

She even made baseball interesting! And that’s saying a lot given my consistent loathing of this game. It features the story
Amanda
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jill-shalvis
This was my first book by Jill Shalvis, and I was pleasantly surprised by how wonderfully written and well developed each character was, since this book by most standards is a little short. She did a great job and her writing style is superb. If this is any indication of how the rest of the series is going to go and possibly her other book s then I can't wait to get my hands on them.

In this book you meet a multitude of great characters but the two who shine and make this book so great is Pace M
Nikki
2 stars.

Yeesh. Thank god that's over with. I dunno what it is about Jill Shalvis but whilst everyone in the contemporary romance fandom seems to adore her writing, it leaves me only lukewarm. I remember feeling that way about her Lucky Harbour series... it's like there's no real depth to her stories, almost like they skim the surface.

I liked the baseball action in Double Play. The plot was a little boring - I didn't like the fact that Holly was an investigative reporter trying to uncover secret
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I tend to dislike sports based romances, but read this one 'cause I like Jill Shalvis so much. And it was actually pretty decent! I enjoyed it!
Cruth
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun fun fun. I'm an aussie, I know nothing about baseball, it didn't matter. Strong characters. Interesting premise. Intelligent writing. Fun.
Danielle
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Play Ball!!

This was a great contemporary romance. Since I happen to love Baseball myself, I had to read this book. Come to find out I would not be disappointed. Not only do you get the romance you get a view inside the baseball season.

Pace Martin does not need any distractions while in season. He's the star pitcher for the Santa Barbara Pacific Heat's baseball team. Fighting an injury that could end his career and trying to pitch the Heat to the World Series. With lots of pressure on him already
Fani *loves angst*
My recently re-found bad luck, strikes again; yet another book that started with too much promise, only it didn't deliver in the end.

Pace is a baseball star who's been recently having problems with his shoulder that he tries to keep secret since they'd have a huge impact on his career. Holly is a reporter sent to cover the progress of Heat (Pace's team) while trying to ferret out any juicy secrets she can. Holly very quickly finds out that Pace is more than a simple jock, but kindhearted and sma
Paige
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, 2014-books
Pretty good.

***Details***
3.5

DOUBLE PLAY was pretty good, but it didn’t rock my socks. I loved the witty banter between Pace and Holly.

With her being a reporter, there was a lot of mistrust between them at the start. It was great to watch to mistrust fade, despite Pace’s reluctance to admit it at times.

Holly shows up at the worst time for Pace. His team is on the verge of making history and he’s the lead pitcher, but his injured shoulder won’t be ignored for much long. Add that to Holly, the r
Tina
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Well I am continuing my summer of baseball reads. I find that as I am reading these books I am like an Olympica figure skating judge... I am rating on technical merits & artistic merits.

The artistic merits is the general storytelling, romance and writing. Basically the 'romance bookery' of it all.

The technical merit is based on how much the book incorporates actual baseball. Either via playing, lore, history or a real sense that I get that the writer isn't just using the sport only as an ex
Manda Collins
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Rachel Gibson, sports romances, Bull Durham
Shelves: contemporary
Fun, sexy read, pitting an injured MLB Baseball pitcher against the straight-laced reporter who's been tasked to write a series of articles about his team. Shalvis did a great job of building the chemistry between these two to a fever pitch, and though none of the developments were particularly surprising, I felt compelled to keep on reading to see how things would work out. Looking forward to the second book in this series.
Janja
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
3,5

I found this book as recommendation after reading something else,but i must say that i'm a bit disappointed with Double Play. It supposed to be light and fun and it wasn't,( first chaphters were simple boring) well not for me. I admit that some dialogues are great and fun but i realy expected more.
Ceci
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm beggining to wonder if i'm getting tired of this genre... This book started really good and very promising but it become very repetitive and boring. It wasn't bad but the author could have cut down a few chapters.
Aoi
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Breezy, sexy and completely delightful..The flirtatious banter and chemistry was off the charts! People who aren't baseball fans needn't be put off this one- the technical terms are at a minimum, instead the story focuses on the life and times of a sports team.

Melis
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, romance
Uzun zamandır beni bu kadar güldüren bir kitap okumamıştım. Yazara buradan kucak dolusu öpücük gönderiyorum :)
♡Karlyn P♡
3.5 - 4 stars. A cute, light romantic read. A bit predictable, but still enjoyable.
♥Sharon♥
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it

Loved it!
Janna
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-f
I’ve read a few Blazes by Jill Shalvis before. Just Try Me, Shadow Hawk and Room Service are really lovely and steamy reads. That’s why I wanted to give one of her other romances a try. What attracted me in Double Play was the setting of this sports world, baseball to be exact. And of course the yummie cover! I mean, look at it...
And the story didn’t disappoint me, Double Play was a fun, sexy read.

So, reading Double Play was enjoyable. There were a lot of things to like but also a few things tha
Elizabeth (Liz)
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Bekah
Jan 24, 2011 rated it liked it
3.25 of 5*

Holly Hutchins is a professional blogger with a knack for ferreting out secrets. Her latest assignment is to complete an in depth series on the much loved Pacific Heat baseball team. Holly decides to begin her series with a one on one interview with the team’s all star pitcher Pace Martin. But at this time in Pace’s life, a nosy little reporter is the last thing he needs digging up dirt on him and the team. However, getting rid of her proves to be impossible from the get go.

This is my
  • Curveball (Richmond Rogues, #2)
  • Icebreaker (New York Blades, #8)
  • Line of Scrimmage
  • Hard and Fast (Fast Track, #2)
  • Game for Anything (Bad Boys of Football, #1)
  • In It To Win It (Deadlines & Diamonds, #2)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish
  • The Game of Love
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's websi

Pacific Heat (2 books)
  • Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2)
“When everyone just shook their heads, he unbuttoned his shirt and,
oh good Lord, shrugged out of it, bunching it up to slip beneath her
head like a pillow.
Don’t look at him, she told herself. Don’t look—
She looked.
Sweet Jesus.”
13 likes
“A thong. God bless the thong.
He hooked his fingers in the silk sides and tugged, rolling the silk
down her legs until it hit the floor, his favorite place for panties.”
9 likes