Start by marking “In the Voice of a Minor Saint” as Want to Read:

In the Voice of a Minor Saint

4.63  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
saddle-stitched chapbook, 22 pages
Published January 2009 by Tilt Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Voice of a Minor Saint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Voice of a Minor Saint

Sandy Longhorn
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
An aside before delving into the poems: This was my first book from Tilt Press, and I'd like to commend them on the quality of the chapbook. The cover art is amazing and in four-color printing. The paper is quality stock, heavy enough to withstand my dog-earring behaviors and my endless annotations. And, the inclusion of the endpapers of chocolate brown give the whole thing a polished look.

To the poems: Sloat's subject matter focuses on the everyday in such a natural way that I fall into the poe
G.
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Can one ever say a poetry book is ever fully read? No. I don't think so. It's certainly the case with "In the Voice of a Minor Saint".

I enjoyed picking it up and reading it slowly and rereading. In the end, I had a wonderful evening with the book and a favorite fountain pen. Numerous markings on the margins now attest to my thoughts of S. Jane's poems.

The poems seem sprung spontaneously from daily life. Our best poems often are. There are moments of dislocation and decay, wonderment and amuseme
Charmi
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A wonderful collection - and beautifully bound! "Curtains" absolutely does me in.
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
Stunning. Every golden word.
Valerie
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, female-writer
I am a fan of Sloat's poetry, so I really liked In the Voice of a Minor Saint. I feel like each poem has been put together so carefully, down to the sound of each syllable and the placement of each line break, you end up seeing something totally ordinary (like weather or nature) seem amazing. It's like Sloat arranged something special for her readers.

I liked the titles of the poems, and there was a variety to the stanza breaks. I was glad to see ghazals in the book, which were done in a way that
Laura Davis
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A persuasive collection of poetry, Sloat hooks you in, opens a window and beckons you to climb through. She manages to be bound to both the reality of the mundane, like trips to the gas station and morning coffee, with poems like “Pursuit” and “Shady” but then shines when she makes the mundane magical. There is a slowness to the tone of this book, but the intention is not stagnation, but rather savoring moments and details. The book’s title poem demonstrates this attention to detail that makes y ...more
Kathleen
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read this book last month, but I am new to Goodreads and the Poetry Book Challenge, and catching up! Reviewed it for Prick of the Spindle, so will summarize here:

Loved it! Each poem gripped me with its fine simplicity of language and precision of diction combine with very subtle, complicated...well, progress. I would go from line to line, stanza to stanza with astonishment, meaning piling up the way muscle builds in the legs from repeated stair climbing.

I loved the voice in it, a quiet observer
Matt Jasper
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is brilliant. I need to come back and write 'er up proper when I have time to do it justice.
Tilt Press
Rachel
Dave Bonta
Jul 21, 2012
S.
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Desi
Review at Poet's Quarterly 1 2 Mar 31, 2010 07:58AM
Minor Saint reviewed in Rattle 1 9 Aug 06, 2009 09:46AM
Review at Literary Bohemian 1 9 Mar 15, 2009 04:18AM
Weave Magazine Review 1 9 Mar 15, 2009 04:17AM
I love poetry, literature and non-fiction. Every summer I go on a diet of short stories. I like the literary, the mainstream, the experimental and the un-categorical. I'm not big on the incomprehensible, but the small incomprehensible can be good. I don't believe in god, but I'm interested in religion, too, mostly eastern and quakerism, which I grew up with. I like history, though mostly American, ...more
More about S. Jane Sloat...

“My heart is small, like a love of buttons or black pepper.” 6 likes
“For a moment the radio wavered between stations
and I was so busy