Start by marking “Death Force (Death Force, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death Force (Death Force, #1)

Death Force

(Death Force #1)

Their paymaster: a top private military corporation called DEF, better known as Death Inc...
Their destination: Helmand, Afghanistan...
Their mission: top secret, black ops...

No one knows if any of them will return alive. But what is certain: if they die, they'll die fighting... Steve West, ex-SAS soldier, is looking for a big payday and to settle down at last. And Ollie H
Published June 25th 2009 by Headline (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Death Force, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Force

Start your review of Death Force (Death Force, #1)
Dimitri
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Once started, you can't put it down! This book screams to be made into a movie. It's The Dirty Dozen in Afghanistan, composed of all your favorite non-American special forces: SAS, South African "Recce"whose training includes a week without food or sleep, an Ulster veteran, a orientally stoic Gurkha... with a crazier-than-crazy Speznatz thrown in. A chapter to recruit each man & a meticulously planned operation. Place your bets on who dies first, or on where the first fuck-up will come from.

I
Matt
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
My new thriller - so obviously I like it.
Gaurav Sharma
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
awesome. exhilrating. fight incidents described in such a way that my heart was beating fast.

i read it in a one sitting.very neatly and properly described about black opps, ammunations,death,taliban.
Good read. :)
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
Having won a copy of this book, I will start by saying this is not my usual fare at all, so I was expecting to try a few pages and leave it lying around for my partner to read instead. Surprisingly, I quite enjoyed it! Perhaps the book would have benefitted from the author concentrating on fewer characters, and I have no idea if the military information is accurate or pure fantasy, but while there is not much in the way of characterisation or scene description, the plot is suitably outrageous an ...more
Paul Seneca
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'll keep this review short and sweet as other reviewers have already covered the novel in great depth ad with very good synopsis. This is a great introduction to the Death Force series and I would recommend this is where new readers start. It is far too good a series to be reading in the wrong order as I can guarantee you will feel the need to read more having read one. There is quite a lot of setting up the series here, and Lynn spends a few pages introducing each character. Some readers may f ...more
Chuck
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Steve West is a mercenary; we used to call them soldiers of fortune. Steve contracts with the head of a PMC, Private Military Corporation, to put together a ten man squad of mercenaries to raid an Afghan warlord's compound and steal his cache of gold, precious stones, etc. worth 30 million dollars and in return the squad will split the loot. You won't believe the twist at the end. This is a good story.

Matt is one of my Goodreads friends. If you haven't tried him yet I recommend that you do. An a
John
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Much better prose than the usual books in this genre, believable and for the most part engaging characters but their back stories took up too much of the beginning of the book.

Always like good (and factually accurate) descriptions of items/locations which is especially key in fiction with a military plotline, and although I have never been to Afghanistan the author really delivers here which I am guessing is down to his background in journalism.

Really enjoyed this, hoping the characters come bac
Ramesh
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: millitary
Simply in love with this book.A group of 10 highly trained soldiers of different units all over the world in a crazy mission that never seems to go right.Superb explaination of weapons and millitary units.Two thumbs up.
Richard
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I am a big Andy McNab fan and this book is written in the same style and flair. The characters were real, you could almost form a bond with each man on the team. Very well written, 5 stars across the board, I will now read the other 2 books in the series.
Jane Plumridge
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Superb, fast paced, very hard to put down. Nothing better that that in a book!!
Ray Khan
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The fight scenes and action in the book was written fantastically. It was let down by too many characters with little development of personalities or relationships. The same character quibbles recurred through the book. I also think the banter and language used was far off from that used by actual mercenaries.
Jack Zhong
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
In general, it’s interesting to know some military actions.
Ronaldo
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Interesting characters and plot.
Rebecca
That was very good. Much better than I was expecting. I thought it might have been a hard read but it was actually really enjoyable.

The first 100 pages of the book were character build up when assembling the team of mercenaries and it was actually really interesting and it gave you a feel for the characters and to make you care what happens to them - for me it worked well.

The next 50 or so pages was the preparation for the mission which was also good and the mission itself was great as well with
Carly Svamvour
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jeff and I finished this off tonite. Normally, neither of us would choose something so violent in nature, but it being a freebie from a library discussion group, we took it on.

We liked the way the story moved - fast, exciting and each battle coming to a definite conclussion - like bang - we got 'em all and they're dead! Ha!

We found the author's need to describe each weapon and refer to it at least once on each page a bit tedious.

That really is more than I want to know about AK-47, or Malakorov (
Sean C
Jan 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was pretty weak. Unrealistic characters, a ridiculous plot, a childish twist at the end all wrapped up in a cliche title. Avoid this one.
Sami
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values
  • The Conspiracy Against the Human Race
  • Jumper (Jumper, #1)
  • A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • Depends What You Mean By Extremist
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)
  • The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories
  • The Last Wolf / Herman
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1)
  • Beneath the Bleeding (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #5)
  • Matchstick Men: A Novel about Grifters with Issues
  • The Star King (Demon Princes, #1)
  • Così
  • Oblivion
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • Deep Black: Death Wave
I am a thriller writer, living near London. 'Death Force' is the first in a series of books following a group of mercenaries around the world. It owes a lot to action, adventure writers like Alistair MacLean, and World War Two writers like Sven Hassel. It also owes a lot to Westerns. When I'm not writing thrillers, I write a financial column for Bloomberg, and I write for The Spectator.

Death Force (5 books)
  • Fire Force (Death Force, #2)
  • Shadow Force (Death Force, #3)
  • Ice Force (Death Force, #4)
  • Lethal Force (Death Force: Short Story)