Start by marking “A Young Dancer: The Life of an Ailey Student” as Want to Read:
A Young Dancer: The Life of an Ailey Student

A Young Dancer: The Life of an Ailey Student

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Meet Iman Bright, a thirteen-year-old student at the prestigious Ailey School in New York City. Iman is passionate about dance, but she also enjoys drawing, playing music, and of course, hanging out with her friends. Follow Iman as she warms up at the barre, practices violin, and gets ready for a performance with her fellow students.

In descriptive words and striking photog
Published March 31st 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Young Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Young Dancer

Jessie
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dance, nyc
I liked seeing all the different parts of Iman's curriculum at the Ailey, including ballet, Horton technique, Limon technique, and West African dance. It was also cool to see that she was learning/had learned real Limon and Ailey rep.

The book does jump around a lot, so it doesn't always feel like a coherent thread. It's not a day or a week or a semester in her life; it tries to portray all of those, to some extent.
Katy Jane
Jul 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
1. I didn't like that the book tried to be in the voice of the young dancer because it didn't actually feel that way.
2. For a ballet lover, I think they would want more out of the book. For someone just getting interested in dance, it didn't feel like it was a good introduction.
3. The only thing I liked about it is that is showcased a black ballet dancer.
Jo Oehrlein
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dance, picture-books
Illustrated with photographs.

I thought the book was pretty disjointed. The narrative went from the Ailey School to other things with no transition and then jumped right back. It's almost like some things were meant to be a side bar?

There's one picture of feet in pointe shoes, on pointe, but it's unclear whether these are Iman's feet or not. She's never shown on pointe. In her ballet class, they have on technique shoes.

I like that she talks about the variety of dance classes that she takes (balle
Erin
This is a short picture book about Iman Bright, a dancer at the Ailey school. She is a thirteen year old who is passionate about dance, but also a very normal young girl. The story follows her life at the Ailey school. This is appealing to me because of my own interest in dance; I have also seen the Ailey dance troupe perform on a couple occasions and thought they were fantastic. With shows like So You Think You Can Dance bringing dance into the reality T.V. scene, I am happy to see that dance i ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity, children
Iman Bright is a young dancer. She has been taking dance classes at the Ailey School in New York since she was four. The story is told from Iman’s point of view. She matter-of-factly describes the rigors of learning dance. But Iman comes across as a girl who enjoys many other activities---friends, the violin, her studies at school---a well-rounded girl.

The photographs reveal the astonishing moves Iman can make, with great beauty and joy. The text is easy to read. Who wouldn’t want to meet this y
Tasha
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Enter the world of the prestigious Ailey School in New York City and view it through the eyes of Iman Bright, a thirteen-year-old student. As she goes through her lessons in ballet, jazz, modern and West African dance, readers will understand the dedication it takes to study dance at this level. At the same time, readers will see a normal thirteen year old who goes to school and plays the violin. The book strikes exactly the right balance.

Ivey’s photographs nicely capture the movement and poses
Abby Johnson
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Valerie Gladstone follows the daily life of Iman, a student at The Ailey School in New York. While the photographs are great, the text is lacking. The organization is completely confusing, taking the reader from The Ailey School to Iman's academic school to her Bronx apartment without any thought to the flow of the narrative. Young dance fanatics will still eat this up (and it is particularly nice to see a book featuring a dancer of color), but I was disappointed.
Patsy Parker
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such an inspirational book. I enjoyed it very much. For an adult it is a very quick read, but I really felt this young girl's vibrant spirit not only in the way she wrote it, but also in the photos of her.

I would recommend it to anyone who has a daughter (or son) who is in any type of dancing classes as an encouragement to them.
Ginger
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A bright and breezy first person narrative describing the life of a young dancer with the Ailey Dance School. beaytifully illustrated with photos that show the dancers in motion.
Mandy
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
A first-person look at the life of a young dancer, enhanced greatly by photos. I found the organization to be lacking...it didn't seem to flow, but jumped from one topic to the next quite abruptly.
« previous 1 3 next »