Start by marking “Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083” as Want to Read:
Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083

Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083

The wind and snow blow so hard, you can't see your hand in front of your face. Your heating fuel is nearly gone, and so is your food. How do you survive?

Five fourteenyearolds face this desperate situation on a deadly journey in Antarctica. It is 2083. They are contestants on a reality TV show, Antarctic Survivor, which is set up to recreate Robert F. Scott's 1912 doomed
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published November 7th 2006 by HarperTeen (first published March 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Antarctica, please sign up.
Jennifer Scholastic Book Wizard rates this book a level V. Fountas and Pinnell have not rated the book yet.
Michelle A Not really as it's not the main point about the story. These are 14 year-old kids, barely teenagers, surviving in the wild. Don't expect a Hunger…moreNot really as it's not the main point about the story. These are 14 year-old kids, barely teenagers, surviving in the wild. Don't expect a Hunger Games-like plot. (less)

Start your review of Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083
Thomas
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
"Surviving Antarctica" is about the adventure of five fourteen year old teenagers who try to trek through... well, Antarctica. In 2083 the only way to get a further education besides high school is the toss, which is basically a chance game with dice, and if you win you get a further education but if you lose then you don't. Also, in 2083 the government has found that making everything happen through television (school, entertainment, etc.) is much more cost effective and much less violence ...more
Elias
Jun 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Great concept, but it must have been difficult to write a 300-page book at a 3rd grade reading level. The language lacks the emotional complexity I've come to expect from good YA, instead relying on short sentences and simple characters with Frog and Toad-era depth. Somebody rewrite this one well, please.
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I really wanted to like this one because, you know, Antarctica. And this was a great idea: a futuristic society where reality TV has gone to horrifying new levels AND Antarctica? Sounds good to me. Unfortunately, the poor execution was apparent early on.

Although I don't claim to be an expert on Antarctica, I have read a couple of thorough and thoroughly convincing books on the subject, but there were few parts of this book that felt authentic. I could have forgiven the lack of world-building and
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
The year is 2083, and American civilization as we know it no longer exists. Years back, the government went bankrupt, crime rates soared, riots and urban trash wars broke out. With the idea that better television programming would keep people in front of their TV's, thus reducing crime and keeping people happy, a new branch of government was formed... the Department of Entertainment.

Public schools are no more, all schooling is now done through TV, up until high school. (If you aren't rich, then
Lucy
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, sciencefiction
In 2083, until 8th grade, kids attend teleschool. They watch reality television that is loosely designed to teach them thingsHistorical Survivor, Dialing for Dollars, and more. Kids who want to continue their educationthe only way to really make anything of yourselfis to attempt the Toss, a roll of the dice that determines if you will receive a government scholarship.

Polly, Robert, Grace, Andrew and Billy have lost their Tosses, and have been chosen to be the participants in Historical Survivor:
Jessica
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Hunger Games trilogy
Recommended to Jessica by: Diane
In a future where television replaces a school education, citizens sign up for chances to be on re-creations of historical events in a reality tv series known as Historical Survivor. But Survivor's ratings are slipping and the Secretary of Entertainment needs a new idea to get the public's attention. So she creates a script recreating the tragically fatal 1911 quest for the South Pole, complete with pre-programmed catastrophes mimicking the original trek. Then she casts five 14-year-olds, with ...more
Kazim W.
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what education will be like in the future? Andrea White answers this question in her breathtaking story, Surviving Antarctica, which takes place in 2083. Her suspenseful and thrilling book shows how life and education will be different from today, specifically how the lower-class will have no power compared to the upper-class.
White starts off her book by sharing the life of each character. The five main kids, Grace, Andrew, Polly, Billy, and Robert are part of the
Kris
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my second time through this one. I really liked it the first time as well. 5 young people are chosen at random to participate in a reality TV re-creation of Scott's doomed expedition to the South Pole. The unlikely and unprepared group has to pull together and learn each others' strengths in order to succeed. Working against them is the ratings-obsessed head of the Department of Entertainment which doubles as the Department of Education - education being limited to "teleschool" and ...more
Parth Parikh
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The novel "Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083" by Andrea White is truly an astounding book. The thrill while turning every page is extreme! While many people (including me) wouldn't necessarily choose this as their first preference to read, the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" truly applies. The reality show part didn't really catch me at first, but yet I picked this book to read. This was the right decision! The reality TV show was a very original and unique idea. Amazing thriller ...more
rose
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2008
Nancy S
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read all the criticisms of this book, and while I do not necessarily disagree with them, this did not stop me from thoroughly enjoying it. If taken as a satire on our current culture, it is perfection. A story about a future where almost all education is done on television, and where a roll of the dice determines who can attend high school and college, fascinates me. And the fact that the greatest form of entertainment is a reality show where people actually compete to the death, is pure ...more
Alyssa
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really enjoyable book. It wasn't one that I couldn't put down (like the Inkheart trilogy) but I still thought it was really great! It wasn't depressing or stressful like I thought it was going to be, even though the kids were traveling through Antarctica. It also had a lot of history that I would have never learned about otherwise.
Amy Bearce
4.5 This was a quick, enjoyable read. I'd call it upper middle grade, not YA, though I liked it even as adult. I appreciated the history along with the science fiction elements.
Harper
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kyra T.
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A Dull Dystopia

The book Surviving Antarctica opens in a dystopian future where school is taught by television. Children are educated up to the eighth grade. The main characters are five fourteen year olds who, through different circumstances, end up in Antarctica for a game show. The rest of the book details them attempting to survive and win the unbeatable game. Personally, I was not a fan of this book.
The story, despite the concept being very interesting to me, feels quite dull and slow. I
Kev
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I personally like this book because it has a great dialogue and there are not so many characters that you lose track of the whole thing. The book is about a group of teenagers who take a test on the TV and they get selected to take part in a historical reenactment which the winners will get enough money to go to high school and college landing them one of the better jobs in their country. The group that is chosen gets cameras implanted in their eyes and are put on a boat that is set for ...more
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
Much better than I ever expected it to be- the cover made them seem lost and without any guidance. In the story, they are specifically following Scott's expedition and that groups calamities. The future is a place where everything is equal and you can win an education as easily as the next person...as long as the dice go your way. Otherwise, if you aren't rich enough for school, it's no more education, no matter how smart. And if you can't go to school you can't get a good-paying job...Fair!

Cala Meyers
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A combination of Divergent and the Sourcebook's article about Ernest Shackleton's ill-fated journey through Antarctica on his ship The Endurance. Here, youths are selected to participate on a live reality show, competing to complete a re-enactment of explorer Robert Scott's journey to the South Pole in 1912. Of course, the audience doesn't know about the producers' scripting and rigging of elements of the show.
Beccie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very Hunger Games.....ish
I liked the characters except Billy. I liked the drama that unfolded.
I wish a kid or 2 had died. I wish more depth would have gone into why America got to this point. An exciting read with just some plot holes.
B
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book about the "reality" of reality television- its all stages and scripted .
In a dystopia future kids learn by watching government funded shows. Once they reach 8th grade they participate in a dice toss to determine if they are going to high school college.
Lots of action-
JT Feliciano
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I do not recall where I put this book on my to-reads, but man, I am so glad that I did. This book was such a quick and enticing read, I literally could not put this book down. My husband is going to read it next. Is there more to this book? If not, I am going to need more as sooooon as possible.
Lauren Judkins
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a very good read, but it was very confusing.
Clayton
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Book Ever

This was such an amazing book. I would absolutely read it again. I do recommend to others. Be warned many of my friends didnt find the book as appealing as I did.
Marcia
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but not as gripping as The Hunger Games.
Becky
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fifth-grade literature circle book. The group was mostly boys, but my daughter loved it. An exciting read!
Makay E
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really interesting book. I enjoyed it and would totally recommend it.
A few swears (Probably like 3)

Maryah
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
read this back in middle school and enjoyed it!
Chy
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
(If we're going on a witch hunt, I'd wave this book at Suzanne Collins before I'd wave Battle Royale. Just sayin'. But I wouldn't wave anything at her; I still think it's weird how upset some people got over the BR/HG thing. And I try to avoid witch hunts.)

Goodwill's having a five-for-a-dollar deal on their books. (That's been "today only" for about a month.) I had seven books in my arms. Instead of deciding which two to put back, I picked up three more.

Cause that's how I roll.

That's why my
Summer
Aug 31, 2009 rated it did not like it
The cover says it all. Really, it does. Why, oh, why did I pick this up when the cover was so awful that I could hurl it into a deep pit just glancing at it!? In fact, the entire time I was reading it I hid the cover from my mom in the car. The plot. Sad, sad, sad little imitation of... well the Hunger Games. This would all make sense if only this book were published about three years later when the Hunger Games were actually out. But with something like that out there, why even bother with ...more
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Surviving Antarctica:
In the book people had to pay a lot of money to go to college or school, and if you got the dice number the rolled you would get a scholarship. There was this paper that if you wanted $100,000 you must enter a surviving series. So these kids sign up for it because they were desperate to go to college and they all signed up thinking that it would be impossible. Polly, billy, grace, robert and andrew didn't know each other at first, but then they get called saying they got
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Surviving Antarctica 2 21 Oct 10, 2011 01:30PM

• ドラゴンボール超 3 (Dragon Ball Super, #3)
  • Department Nineteen (Department Nineteen, #1)
  • The Rising (Department 19, #2)
  • Battle Lines (Department 19, #3)
  • Hellraiser: The Toll
  • Infernal Sky (Doom #3)
  • Halo: Bad Blood
  • ドラゴンボール超 2 (Dragon Ball Super, #2)
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • The Tubman Command
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Code Orange
  • ドラゴンボール超 1 (Dragon Ball Super, #1)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Queen of the Sea
  • The Chocolate War (Chocolate War, #1)
  • Tommysaurus Rex
  • Copper Magic
Since 2006, Andrea as published four books written for middle school readers. Surviving Antarctica was selected for the Bluebonnet list and a handful of other state lists, and the Texas State Reading Association awarded it the Golden Spur award for the best book by a Texas author. In 2012, Windows on the World won the Spirit of Texas award for middle school fiction.

For four years Andrea worked