Start by marking “Seeing George” as Want to Read:
Seeing George

Seeing George

While filing away some documents at work, Violet is interrupted by a new staff member, George. From the moment she sees him, Violet knows that George isn't ordinary. He surprises and enchants her in ways that her husband Frank never can. In two years of marriage Violet has never kept anything from Frank, yet she can't bring herself to tell him about George. Simply describi ...more
Published 2004 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Seeing George, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing George

Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Why can’t I see you the way the others do ?’

‘Seeing George’ is one of the most unusual novels I’ve read recently. It’s a love triangle, spanning fifty years, with a significant difference. But what makes it different?

Once upon a time and in the beginning, Violet and Frank were newly married. Violet works in an office. Violet is filing away documents one day when she is interrupted by a new staff member named George. George appears to be an ordinary man to all the other people in the office, but
Emma
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A odd story but quite charming. Still not sure exactly how I felt about it!
Courtney Benson
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Beautiful looking book, but for me that was where it ended. The characters didn’t seem to have enough depth to be believable or feel much for them.
Micki
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Engaging and charming. Couldn't put it down! I can't wait for her next book to be released!
ClaireS
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book hooked me in and delighted me. It is a story of accepting people as they are and the friendship and love that ensues. There are three characters involved: George, Violet and her husband. The story revolves around the relationships between the three and what happens when situations and needs change. There is magic along the way but that won't stop your heartstrings being severely tugged. To enjoy the book it is best to be able to accept the concept of a dragon as a person or is that per ...more
Teena
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
A sweet fairytale, not to be read with logic but with the heart. A young woman trapped in an unsatisfying marriage meets a man at work who she sees as a dragon, tail and all. They maintain a platonic relationship for many decades until her death, under the watchful eye of her jealous husband.
I usually don't like fairytale-type books - I prefer people to say what they mean rather than having to interpret it - but I did enjoy this one. It must have been the writing style and certainly I enjoyed th
Ilyhana Kennedy
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
There's a good story somewhere in this novel. It's a little more sophisticated than it initially seems. The writing lacks somewhat, an odd mixture of old fashioned and immature.
The structure works eventually, with an interesting conclusion. The book is engaging enough and with time and experience this author might develop some intriguing work. The hardback copy is beautifully presented.
Fran Cusworth
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this quirky story of a married woman who sees a magical dragon in a work colleague while all others just see a man. Made me think about how much of love is really just truly seeing and being seen. A small cast of characters and austin does domestic detail with a light touch that never gets mundane. A great portrayal of a close marriage moving towards one partners death.
Ruby Noise
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
An adult fairytale weaving between past and present in alternate chapters. Proving that some have the ability to see things that others cannot or will not. This book goes to show that magic does exist and if you see it, smile and enjoy it as you don't have to prove it to the ones that can't.
Narda Campbell
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is a great read.
It is hard to get but well worth the effort.
It is set in Melbourne, Victoria.

I would love to hear other peoples opinions.
Catherine
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whimsical, charming and thoroughly modern fairy tale.
Jenny
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
What an odd little piece! Not sure about this one, kept with it - mainly due to the tenacity and endurance of one of the characters. Am intrigued, can you see dragons too?
David 'n'
Sep 11, 2014
Leanne
Mar 05, 2019
Guichenoti
rated it did not like it
Feb 12, 2015
Ann
Jun 26, 2018
Roxy
Jul 24, 2011
Born in 1969, Cassandra Austin grew up in outback NSW but completed her formal education at Melbourne University with an MA in Criminology. She also has an MA in Creative Writing from RMIT. Austin has previously written one novella, Seeing George, published by Random House in 2004. Her latest release, All Fall Down will be released in 2017.

She currently lives in Los Angeles with her husband and ch