Start by marking “Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley” as Want to Read:
Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley

Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In March 2005 the business world woke up to an unprecedented full-page ad in the Wall Street Journal calling for the removal of Morgan Stanley's CEO. Less than four months later, a group of eight retired, multimillionaire executives had orchestrated a stunning revolt within the most prestigious and—until recently—most successful financial-services firm on Wall Street. Now ...more
Published October 21st 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published December 31st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Blood and Mutiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Blood and Mutiny

Randy
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm somewhat disappointed by this book, even though it's well written. Yes, I learned a lot about the world of finance and the history of Morgan Stanley, but I found this book to be repetitious. Also, most of the book is a diatribe against Phil Purcell, the man who became CEO of Morgan Stanley after it merged with Dean Witter.

The diatribe soon gets boring, especially because Ms. Beard doesn't show a glimmer of empathy for him. Cleary, Ms. Beard is completely on the side of the mutineers.

George
Nov 03, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold
Only about a chapter or so in and I'm loving it. Very interesting... Would be a good pair with Michael Lewis's Liar's Poker. Gives history on the creation of Morgan Stanley; talks about the transformation of investment banks on Wall Street in the 1970s, '80s, and '90s. I hope it continues to be this good! For a $1 buy a Dollar Tree...a big win.
Joseph
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book discusses the rise of the investment bank through the hard work and integrity of white-collar individuals. The drama is created by the turmoil of the Dean Witter merger under Phil Purcell. After turmoil at the top, a hero arrives in the form of veteran FID trader John Mack to return the bank's culture and performance to its roots.
Aaron
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Only an MS employee could enjoy this one, but I did. Nice history of the firm and interesting depiction of the battle for control that occurred at the time of my arrival at the firm. Seems a bit tame of an episode in light of the '08 crisis.
Joelene
Oct 10, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Will be starting this book shortly. Jim bought this and I initially wrote it off as a boring business book. But who am I to judge, as I discovered once I read the cover flap, I am not one to resist a story about a good scandal and shake up - even in the boring business world.
Chris Abel
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance, business
If you have any interest in investment banking, finance, or Wall Street intrigue, this book is for you.
bookreader
One-sided, but essentially accurate, account of how an ill-conceived merger tarnished a great franchise. Also helped me unravel the political intrigue that marred my time at the firm.
Anitauf
Feb 19, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want to read this book.
Pin Zhou
Sep 23, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Guess reading resembles chain actions, too, you find one book interesting, and the interesting one leads to more in its league.
Jen
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, generally easy to understand if you are not in the financial industry.
Rahulkrishna
I read this book.Pretty mediocre.Didnot like it
Nathan
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read finacial thriller for anyone in the retail brokerage/investment banking industry.
Waqas
Sep 10, 2013
Matthew
Jun 21, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Last Tycoons: The Secret History of Lazard Frères & Co.
  • Tearing Down the Walls: How Sandy Weill Fought His Way to the Top of the Financial World. . .and Then Nearly Lost It All
  • Greed and Glory on Wall Street: The Fall of the House of Lehman
  • Burn Rate: How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
  • The Lost Bank: The Story of Washington Mutual-The Biggest Bank Failure in American History
  • Code Name Ginger: The Story Behind Segway and Dean Kamen's Quest to Invent a New World
  • First in Thirst: How Gatorade Turned the Science of Sweat Into a Cultural Phenomenon
  • The Accidental Investment Banker: Inside the Decade That Transformed Wall Street
  • Goldman Sachs: The Culture Of Success
  • In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington
  • Boo Hoo: $135 Million, 18 Months. . . A Dot.Com Story from Concept to Catastrophe
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • The Sellout: How Three Decades of Wall Street Greed and Government Mismanagement Destroyed the Global Financial System
  • eBoys: The First Inside Account of Venture Capitalists at Work
  • Last Man Standing: The Ascent of Jamie Dimon and JPMorgan Chase
  • The Perfect Store: Inside eBay
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • A Colossal Failure of Common Sense: The Inside Story of the Collapse of Lehman Brothers

Nonfiction Deals

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath
    $15.99 $3.99
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Through My Eyes
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99