Start by marking “Latina” as Want to Read:
Latina

Latina

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Latina by Lillian Ed. Castillo-Speed. Touchstone Books,1995
Published August 2nd 1995 by Touchstone (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Latina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latina

Jordan
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. I want to explore more of the work by some of these authors.
John Hubbard
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Latina is a mix of short stories, excerpts, and essays on the life of the Chicana. The work clearly demonstrates the confusion of identity of Latinos in the U.S. The book perhaps shows a sort of pattern to the level different socioeconomic groups attempt to Americanize. The lowest, poverty stricken (usually new immigrant) and the upper/upper-middle classes both seem to grasp their Latino heritage and language. One from need, the other from ‘enlightenment’. Those who are in-between seem to try an ...more
Jessie
May 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is about Latina women writing about their own experiences being Latina in different societies. I found this book really interesting because I liked that it was about real encounters that these woman found themselves in and it was a way in which i could connect with the stories. For example, one essay written described the bonds that exist within a latino family and i could relate it to how my family works. I think that these essay's were very interesting and I am interested in reading ...more
Anna Mercado
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a good book, short stories to read on break or lunch. I liked the way the book was broken up into three sections, The Past We Bring With Us, Our Land Our Lives, and Nuestra Politica.
I loved Facing the Mariachis by Alicia Gaspar de Alba and Only Daughter by Sandra Cisneros

I also have to say how happy I was to see so many Latina cultures represented in the book, not only the stories I related to but learned about.
Mariana
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This collection really helps describe the roots of our Latina culture as first and second-generation women trying to find ourselves in the larger space. However, I'm jaded, and I feel established in my connections to my roots, so a lot of these stories felt like more of the same conversations being had in other anthologies. However, among some of the dry writing, I found plenty of chapters that appealed to me in their amazing writing style. Definitely worth a read.
Book Concierge
Anthology of Latina authors - some poignant, some angry. I didn't really enjoy or appreciate the political "lectures," but I found several of the selections intriguing enough to make me want to read more from those authors.
Mireya
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reminds me that am not alone! The stories shared in this book have close connections to my real-life experiences. Always great to go back and read a story...Just Because.
Shannon
I unfortunately wasn't able to finish this before the Library came a callin'. Beautiful work. Important work. I may end up buying a copy for my own library.
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book after college trying to understand more of the Latin women's perspective since I have a strange desire to be a latina myself.
Alex
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Worth owning for the Alicia Gaspar de Alba story alone.
Maura
Oct 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grit
I loved this book. A friend once related this muriel rukeyser quote to me, "The universe is made of stories, not of atoms". yes it is. & It is good to know our sisters' stories. always.
Leez Matías
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
El lado femenino latino, del otro lado, dónde está el "sueño americano". Sin duda mi favorita es Juila Alvarez, con su fragmento de Snow.
Ana