Start by marking “Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Kingdom

Kingdom

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The Deputy glanced down at the white man and then muttered, almost to himself. 'But how did a Westerner travel into Pemako in the first place?'

When the Abbot spoke, his voice was thin and resigned. 'It is the end of our monastery. By nightfall I will be dead and our walls will lie shattered. A terrible evil is coming from the forest...'

A monastery in Tibet is overrun with
Published August 1st 2011 by Pan Macmillan (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom

Nick
Mar 31, 2009 added it
Tom Martin's "Kingdom" is a book about Shangri-La. In this book, a man and a woman go to Shangri-La in Tibet to pursue the knowledge of the ages. Are they successful? That's for you to find out!
Mekare
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non è il solito romanzo sul Tibet !! I colpi di scena non mancano
Paul
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Though the plot my seen far fetched at the outset, Tom Martin nonetheless spins a gripping and intriguing tale that goes someway to convincing the reader. Wonderfully descriptive throughout, this novel falls on its sword drawing to a close, as it does, in far too hurried and abrupt a manner.
Horace Derwent
Tonight, Evil will come from the deep of the woods.

Nobody, no one, nothing can stop it this time

It's the Evil of Evil, and we'd buried its seed generations ago.

A coin always has 2 sides and any sun has at least one single shade of spot, the Reckoning we just deserve!
Adri
Aug 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Borrowed the Italian language version from the local library in an attempt to keep skills fresh. This was a case of "not worth reading," not "lost in translation."
Allan
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, adventure
As a tale of the hunt for the fabled city of Shangri-La in the Himalayas, this was pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. When it started to involve Nazis and the yeti, it started to get a little off the trolley.

That said, it's not a bad read but it could've done some decent action and perhaps a little sex to spice it up a bit.
Cris Cook
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Just started this as one of the 6 book challange 2011. It seems quite good so far but it's early days yet. I've a good feeling about this one.
Tim McIntyre
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good clean reading. Excellent and very fast.
Andronicus Kok
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kingdom by Tom Martin. A news paper editor is being detained as a spy in which her possession is a bone trumpet from Tibet. What does it mean? why is she getting such an item? Questions are raised as Nancy seeks out the man who sent her this item at the same time searches for him as he goes "Missing". Through her journey she discovers more shocking "Truths" of which the end has left me speechless and spell bound!! :)
Ryan Barretto
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fascinating and surreal - the author walks you into the Himalayas, Tibet and then some.
Gopal
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
The book caught my interest because it was based on Tibet. A problem prone and intriguing area geo-politically. The combination of Tibet and Shangri-La in 1 book; it was a given that I was gonna pick this one to read.

I expected something along the lines of adventure cum thriller, but it was a book that was deep in the mysticism, occult, black magic and shamanism. The expose on Shangri-La was much awaited through out the book, but when the characters reach the point we expect them to reach the my
Oldnomad
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok so it's a fast moving fantasy/adventure and was an adequate read.

Pity the author (Tom Martin is a pseudonym and I'm guessing female from the style) didn't do a bit more research on some factual aspects. The Chinese Intelligence service is not pat of the '...feared and hated PSB'. The PSB or Public Security Bureau is the Police and Immigration, but not the intelligence service - and generally is not feared.

You cannot just travel around Tibet or live and work there as in the story. You need a
Andrew
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.
This was quite a mixed book for me. It took a while to get into it but then loved the middle section and galloped through it. However I felt a little disappointed and let down at the end. This certainly has all the themes going for it that I loved, a bit of a puzzle, a search for Shangri La, some occult nazism and an interesting couple of characters. Whilst overall it was quite an enjoyable read it is certainly far from my favourite read in the genre and I preferred the previous book I
Gus
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Another thriller/mystery and very slow off the mark, painfully so. This novel didn’t have

that explosive start and it took about 200 pages for it to get going. The characters were

shallow and not very well formed. Some of the ideas were pretty good but I am getting

tired of these books being so unbelievable. I’ll give the author a bit of credit he did do a

bit of research, I just hope these writers take a leaf out of Stieg’s book and add a bit of

believability and they could go a long way.
Trine
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Riayl
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Weird is my thing. I like weird. But the last part of this just felt incoherent and too bizarre for belief - and I love reading about the supernatural, so I'm pretty good at stretching belief out. On top of that was a cast of characters I had little sympathy or liking for, especially the main character, Nancy.
Gerda Du
Apr 23, 2017
Keith
Jul 31, 2010
Metatome
rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2010
Saleris
Sep 09, 2009
Su-yin Tan
Dec 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • Twisted Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #3)
  • The Deceit
  • The Atlantis Prophecy (Conrad Yeats Adventure #2)
  • The Mayan Codex (Antichrist Trilogy #2)
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • Newton's Fire
  • Splintered Icon
  • Covenant (Ethan Warner #1)
  • The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4)
  • The Manhattan Puzzle
  • The Keystone
  • The Sacred Bones
  • The Venice Conspiracy (Tom Shaman, #1)
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Thieves Of Darkness (Michael St. Pierre, #3)
  • The Bonaparte Secret (Lang Reilly #5)
  • The Babylonian Codex (Jax Alexander Mystery #3)