Start by marking “Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)” as Want to Read:
Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)

Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House #11)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  8,053 Ratings  ·  252 Reviews
Published January 12th 1998 by Random House Children's Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lions at Lunchtime, please sign up.

Blake
Nov 01, 2013 added it
“Lions at Lunchtime” by Mary Pope Osborne is the eleventh book in the Magic Treehouse Series. The books starts off like all of the others were Jack and Annie are going into the treehouse and pick a book to go to. They get to Africa and see a gazelle running into the woods. The gazelle leads them to Morgan and she gives them a riddle to solve. “I’m the color of gold and as sweet as can be. But beware of the danger that’s all around me. What am I?” So then they take off into the African safari in ...more
Samantha
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
I have always wanted to go to Africa and finally got to with Jack & Annie, my awesome friends who help Morgan through the use of her magic tree house. Lions and zebras and giraffes, oh my! Hyenas, gazelle and wildebeest, oh dear! So many animals, its just like being on a safari. And best of all, a honey bird!! Or was the best thing the Masai warrior? Or maybe the honey? It could be the riddle. But no, the best thing was the Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches. Yum! Only one more riddle left. ...more
Izzy Brogaard
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Personal response: I read the book Lions at Lunchtime by Mary Pope Osborne. I like these books because Jack and Annie make a good team. They are great short chapter books.

Plot: Jack and Annie went to the treehouse and they ended up in Africa. They watched the animals from the treehouse. There was a riddle they needed to figure out. They had to find something gold, sweet, and surrounded by nature. Annie fell into a mud pit while she tried to help animals cross the river. Jack pulled Annie out t
Brandon Loehrke
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
“Lions at lunchtime” starts off like every other Magic Tree House book. It starts off when Jack and Annie follow a gazelle that runs through their woods to the magic tree house. Morgan is that the tree house waiting to give them their riddle for the next adventure. To solve the riddle Jack and Annie find themselves in Africa. Annie finds this bird and decides she wants to follow it. It leads her and Jack to a beehive. As they are heading back to the treehouse to go back home, Jack spots a groups ...more
Bryce Akey
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading “Lions at Lunchtime.” It was about two kids named Jack and Annie. Jack and Annie are playing outside when a gazelle runs through their yard. They chase after it and it leads them to the tree house. Morgan is there waiting for them, and gives them their riddle. After reading the riddle, they end up in Africa. Jack and Annie are both amazed by the desert and all of the animals. As a bird flies past them, Annie decides to chase it. Jack chases after her and stops her. As they are ...more
Sarah Sammis
Oct 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Lions at Lunchtime by Mary Pope Osborne is the third of the four riddles and 11th in the Magic Tree House Series. Jack and Annie have their third scroll riddle to solve. It takes them to Kenya where they see zebras, wildebeests, hyenas and lions. They also meet a Masai warrior.

The book is full of interesting facts about the animals and the life cycle around the waterhole. The riddle this time is also focused on the animals of the area.

Like the previous two riddles, the answer will be obvious to
Cathy
Dec 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved this one. My dad went to Africa when I was about Annie's age, so a story about all of the animals I've loved since then was very cool for me. I loved when they arrived and a giraffe was looking in the window of the Magic Tree House! The picture that accompanied this moment was really nice, showing all of the wonderful animals on the plain and their relative sizes compared to the giraffe.

It was cool when the book told the kids about how the animals and their diets are all connected. One
Patty
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rosa Cline
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is the eleventh book in the series of books the Magic Tree House. Although it is a chapter book my son and I sat and read it for about 30 minutes or so. Very interesting, keeping our attention. Just enough 'Science' to keep it educational but yet enough imagination in it to keep it fun too.

This was wasn't disappointing after enjoying the first one as much as we did. Each book apparently will have a 'guide' to the two children in the book but to the reader-listener it will give History less
IST 4th Graders
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters are Jack and Annie. They are around 7 years old. The setting is in Serengeti. The plot is first they are coming from the shop and they see a dear from Africa that leds them to their tree house this time their goin to Africa. Annie look out the widow to look at all the animals and then she sees some wild beasts that can’t get over the flod so she goes to help them. When she trys to help them she get stuk in the mud. Then they waked in the forest and met some animals then they met a ...more
Josephine
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was one of the better in the series we've read so far. It had the kids on the edge of their seats the whole time, so excited to see what happens next.
The writing is so simplistic, I'm making Audrey read the first paragraph of each chapter to me. She is doing great and loving these books. I think this is probably one we will read again. Audrey and Briella loved the Elephant shower.
Simon
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Another adventure in a magic tree house. I think once we get to this point, for me at least there is great repetition in the way the book is written. The plot may be different at its core, but all the same intros and endings are played through predictably.

Sharon
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Dylan and I read this for his homework; it was cute.
Karen
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie
Ellie has been reading through the Magic Tree House books in order by herself..krb 1/18/16
Caleb Goodbread
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Jack and Annie are whisked off to the vast plains of Africa, where they must solve Morgan le Fay's third magical riddle. But that's only the beginning! Once the riddle is solved, they still have to get past a pride of lions, a humongous herd of rampaging wildebeests, and one very hungry Masai warrior.Jack and Annie are whisked off to the vast plains of Africa, where they must solve Morgan le Fay's third magical riddle. But that's only the beginning! Once the riddle is solved, they still have to ...more
Angieleigh
I have found this series to be truly hit or miss.

Thankfully this is one of those books that were a hit when Aidan and I were reading it.

In their quest to become master librarians, Jack and Annie travel to Africa in search of the next riddle answer (“I’m the color of gold and as sweet as can be. But beware of the danger that’s all around me. What am I?” ). They encounter wildebeests, gazelles, zebras, giraffes (my personal favorite), hyenas, and a hangry Masai warrior who wasn't all that happy w
Mckenzie Richardson
As with the other Magic Tree House books, I loved this one. Lots of adventure and cool ways to learn about Africa.
I love how Annie's inclusiveness and Jack's researching skills work together in the book. In this books, Jack and Annie work on their third riddle in order to become Master Librarians. I really like this plot and think it adds new depth to the series instead of just having Jack and Annie wander around in books.
I also love how Osborne uses fan suggestions in her writing. These books
Amanda Carpenter
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As I always say, my 8 year old niece brought me the first 2 of these books to read. She loves them and she wanted me to read them too so we can talk about them. I find them fun and informative for kids about different time periods and different things around the world.

I decided on book 5 to start reading them aloud for my dogs enjoyment too. (I know, you may think I am crazy - but they like them. Well one gets rather scared sometimes, but the other loves to listen).

This book isn't really that
Madeleine Lindell Modin
Jag tycker att efter bok nummer 11 så håller böckerna fortfarande. Är dock lite besviken över hur man har valt att gestalta den afrikanska befolkningen. Den känns väldigt stereotyp och eftersom boken kom ut på svenska 2016 känns bilden av afrikanen som en vilde som inte vet vad en smörgås är väldigt förlegad. Redan 1997 när boken kom ut för första gången borde dem skrotat denna bigotteri.

Boken är dock fortfarande spännande, välskriven och helt klart läsvärd.
Robin Hunt
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 1st graders loved this book. They begged me to read them another Magic Tree House story. Quick read, kept their interest and has great exposure to vocabulary and setting for discussion, but not so much that it distracts from the story. We'll be reading more...
Emma
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Zebras live in family groups. As no two zebras have exactly the same pattern of stripes, every baby zebra must learn it's own mother's pattern.
Maddie Grace
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mom
Recommended to Maddie by: Myself
Loved it
Lisa
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed learning about animals in Africa, didn't know different facts. Liked the setting.
Samantha Osborne
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i love these books
Corynn
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is so much fun, I'm hoping I can get through the whole Series.
唐岑卉
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like the riddle in this book,it's vivid!
Nancy
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Like the facts in all her books of this series, but don't like the wizardry.
Jackson
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the book was about two kids who names were jack and annie and a magical librarian named morgan i liked the book because it was fun.
Shannon Futrell
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jack and Annie travel to Africa, where they have to solve Morgan Le Fay's third magical riddle. They have to get past lions and other wildebeests. This is a great book to teach about Africa.
Perrine Family
Lily, Age 8.

This book was not as exciting as "Tigers At Twilight". I liked the tall grass because it was good for hiding in when Jack and Annie saw the Lions. I would suggest that readers 8 and up read this book. The reason I suggest that is because there are a few words that early readers wouldn't understand. Like "wildebeasts"- that is a little bit of a hard word. A wildebeast sounds kind of like half a cow and half a deer.
I did not like the part where Jack and Annie are in the tree that has
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)

“Yes,” said Jack. “But it was very close.” 4 likes