Start by marking “The Kill Call (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Kill Call (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #9)

The Kill Call (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry #9)

On a rain-swept Derbyshire moor, hounds from the local foxhunt find the body of a well-dressed man whose head has been crushed. Yet an anonymous caller reports the same body lying half a mile away.

Called in to investigate the discovery, detectives DS Diane Fry and DC Ben Cooper become entangled in the violent world of hunting and hunt saboteurs, horse theft and a little-kn
Published 2009 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about The Kill Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kill Call

Monika
Jun 28, 2013 Monika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Det här är ju den nionde delen i serien och i mitt tycke är den mer lik den första boken, Svarta hunden, den som fick mig att vilja fortsätta läsa. I alla fall vad gäller själva känslan. Det kan bero på att sidantalet nu är nere i mer lätthanterligt antal, vilket betyder att det inte är riktigt lika mycket utsvävningar. Läs mer på min blogg
Gill
Oct 19, 2012 Gill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Having read other Stephen Booth books I looked forward to this one. However, I did not enjoy this one as much as the plot meandered and didn't hold together. He seemed to be connecting the motivations of the characters with the story of Eyam but it didn't work for me. The relationship between Cooper and Fry didn't ring true either. I live in the Peak District and enjoyed the setting details but the abattoir scenes were a bit much. I will be interested to see how Fry deals with the rape case in
Herzog
Jan 30, 2010 Herzog rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, mystery
A definite disappointment. I'm a fan of this series, but this book is a mess. The motivations are jumbled and the horse meat discussions needlessly graphic. Cooper's and Fry's relationship is as tenuous and undecipherable as ever. Cooper's positive intentions are left unrealized as is Fry's impending decision whether to proceed with prosecuting her own rape case leaving hope for the next work in the series.
Lynn Kearney
3.5 Another pretty good novel in this English series. I do think he needs a good editor, though, and I wish Ben and Diane could resolve their issues. (Maybe the tension between them is the point, though).
Carina
Nov 14, 2012 Carina rated it liked it
It was good but not one of the best in this serie. Love the characters.
John Weir
Feb 09, 2013 John Weir rated it liked it
okay... at least it's British crime, too much American fiction out there for me.
Yves Lefevre
Mar 16, 2017 Yves Lefevre rated it liked it
A good main plot (actually two plots).
Maybe the main characters are becoming a little too tormented.
Clare O'Beara
Jul 18, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it liked it
Shelves: british-crime
Set in the Peak District, this has been a classy series of police procedurals, atmospheric and reflecting the history as well as the changing times of the area.

I need to say at the outset that this book discusses the horsemeat trade. This is why I put off reading it for so long. Anyone who has kept an elderly horse or two for years of retirement, as I have, will be driven to fury by the casual assertion that the majority of Thoroughbreds are killed for France's meat before reaching five years ol
Lisa
Aug 08, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: recentlyread, arcs
The Kill Call by Stephen Booth is the first book I’ve read in the Cooper and Fry series. I’m not sure this is a series I’ll keep reading, for reasons I’ll get to later, but it’s a pretty good mystery. The story starts on a rainy moor – Sean has come up to one of his favorite quiet, deserted spot, where he goes when he needs to get away from everything. Today, something feels different. There’s a smell. And a corpse.

It’s an interesting mystery, with a couple of storylines to follow, and quite Bri
Dead John Williams
May 30, 2015 Dead John Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
About the “failed race horse” meat export to France industry…another on eof those things that you never knew and wished you still didn’t…good book all the same.

The sub story in this one is about the Royal Observer Corps who had a chain of underground “posts” scattered around England, none more that 8 miles apart right up until 1968!. That was the time of Swinging London, Twiggy, the Summer of Love. And at the same time wherever you were inEngland you were never more than 8 miles from at least on
Quillracer
At 467 pages, this book is shorter than many entries in this series but seemed a much more scattered novel than they were.

There’s too much going on here. A shady character is found murdered and his business partner disappears. Horses are disappearing. A business is trying to introduce horsemeat as a main course. A man wandering in the darkness and fog falls to his death. Several chapters are 1968 journal entries. These story lines never came together as an integrated whole.

Booth again spends too
Maria
Inicialmente custou-me a entrar n’ O Toque da Morte. A extensa lista de personagens com os seus nomes e apelidos baralhou-me um pouco e confesso que o princípio do livrp não me agarrou à primeira como normalmente acontece quando se trata de policiais.
Mas, depois de entrar na história, foi um não parar de emoções. A temática também ajudou. A caça, os cavalos, e o comércio ilegal de carne de cavalo, assim como o tema da guerra fria e o medo da bomba nuclear agradaram-me bastante.
Quando o corpo de
Spuddie
Jan 07, 2012 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ninth in this series set in the Peak District of the UK, featuring DC Ben Cooper and DS Diane Fry and their colleagues. A dead body sans identifcation in a field in the pouring rain is not anyone's idea of an easy police investigation, and this is further complicated by the fact that the Eden Valley Hunt was holding a Hunt that same morning. With hill and dale tramped by horses as well as the "sabs"--the hunt protesters who try to sabotage the hunt, which is legal as long as the hounds are follo ...more
LuAnn
Jun 19, 2014 LuAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-challenge
The first few chapters of "The Kill Call" reminded me of the movie "Pulp Fiction". Points of view jumped through decades of time and various narrators. That, coupled with the fact that the book is set in England, with the different terms for things than we have in the US, made the read start a teensy bit slow for me. Then I remembered to turn my Anglophile switch to the 'on' position, and I felt like Dorothy when she landed in Oz...the colors turned on!

But, imagine if you will, dipping your toe
Dorothy
Dec 18, 2010 Dorothy rated it really liked it
Another excellent mystery set in the Derbyshire Peak District of UK. The author always includes information about events and customs that may not be generally well known and this one has two issues that I found intriguing. The book's title refers to the sound of a huntsman's horn when the hounds are being told to go in for the kill when a fox is run down. Part of the plot involves a Hunt Club and we learn about how the foxhunting ban has affected their activities and also about the hunt saboteur ...more
Ellen
Oct 14, 2014 Ellen rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, audiobook
An enjoyable read though with some misgivings. The female characters aren't terribly convincingly depicted, with the female protagonist, Fry, very hard to warm to. (This, Book 9, is the first Cooper & Fry book I've read so maybe I need to start at the beginning?) I found the plot interesting though one part seemed to have a very sudden resolution. I also learned a fair bit about the Hunt (which I'd thought had died out after the legislation!), the horse meat trade, the Cold War and the Royal ...more
Gloria Feit
Jun 03, 2014 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it
The uneasy relationship between DS Diane Fry and DC Ben Cooper is prevalent throughout this murder mystery, part of the author's continuing series featuring the two protagonists. At first, the body of a well-dressed man found on a moor with his head bashed in seems to be a straightforward police investigation.

However, the inquiry broadens into a lot more, involving illegal horse slaughter, the conflict from supporters of the hunt and saboteurs opposing that "sport," and a look not only into the
Elaine
Apr 15, 2010 Elaine rated it liked it
This is another solid contribution from Booth, in my opinion. It had some interesting themes, very thought provoking issues. It was an enjoyable read on the whole.
While some of the scenes are rather graphic, I believe them necessary. I was impressed with the way this book brought a taboo subject to the surface. I myself living in denial about this particular branch of the UK meat industry!
While most of the secondary characters in this book are quite unlikeable, Booth makes it work to his adva
Valerie
Jun 10, 2010 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Things I love about this mystery series:

Learning details of modern hunts.
British WW 2 and Cold War History
Differences in how legal issues are handled.
The fantastic contrast between the two leads.
Ben Cooper's total inability to understand the women in his life.
The Peak District---really must visit it some time.

Actually, Ben Cooper rather reminds me of my friend Will, (although, of course Will should go right on believing that he gets women, that is obviously just about Cooper), I meant the consta
Ian Mapp
Jan 18, 2013 Ian Mapp rated it liked it
Read to complete the series. I suppose he has me now, having read all of them. He will bring out a new book and I will blindly read it out of loyalty and nostalgia.

There is nothing wrong with the books pre se... I just dont think they move the characters along. Fry and Cooper are going nowhere and the stories are generally so silly that they defy logic or belief.

You know you are going to get farming issues and the peak district in spades and this time, through a split time narrative, we have a n
Martina
Sep 24, 2010 Martina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#9 in the Cooper/Fry series from Stephen Booth. I have all the rest of the series in my nook so will be catching up bit by bit. I really love the Ben Cooper character. He's a real feeling human.

This book starts with some great upheaval in the division as a new female leader takes charge. This is just a small part of the complex plot which is rooted in the past, yet driven by decisions which can, and sometimes do, have momentous consequences. Ben and Diane are each richly developed characters, m
May 31, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Venturing into Dick Francis' territory, this mystery (about hunting, horse meat and the Royal Observer Corps) is almost incidental to the interpersonal relationships. Unlike most "partner" mysteries, Diane Fry and Ben Cooper do not really function as a unit. They work together, but they don't get along and they only seem to interact when absolutely necessary or when Cooper inserts himself into Fry's cases. It's not a sexual tension, it's just plain tension.

I like the characters, all flawed human
Carol Jean
Apr 20, 2014 Carol Jean rated it really liked it
Wwweeelllll....I enjoy the fact that Booth includes elements of the history of the Peaks district in all his books, but I wasn't so fond of the atomic bomb watch shelters featured in this one. But the exploration of the horse meat business was fascinating! Fry is still getting on my nerves. Cooper stands up to her a bit better, but I really wish they could work together better as a team. The books would be considerably more enjoyable if ANYONE in that police station actually liked anyone else!
Jennie Andrus
Jun 13, 2011 Jennie Andrus rated it really liked it
It took me a long time to read this, not because it wasn't good, but just because I found it hard to find uninterrupted reading time. Because of this, I think I missed a few things because it seemed like all of a sudden the characters knew exactly what had happened and I didn't have a clue how they'd come that conclusion. I still enjoyed the book, and went out and bought a few more by the author. Hopefully I'll be able to read them in a shorter period of time, so I don't forget all the clues.
Douglas Cook
First paragraph

Journal of 1968

In those days, there were always just the three of us. Three bodies close together, down there in the cold, with the water seeping through the concrete floor, and a chill striking deep into flesh and bone. The three of us, crouching in the gloom, waiting for a signal that would never come.

Booth, Stephen (2013-11-10). The Kill Call (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry) (p. 1). Westlea Books. Kindle Edition.
Lois
Sep 03, 2011 Lois rated it liked it
Another mystery featuring Detective Constable Ben Cooper and his tense relationship with Detective Sergeant Diane Fry. I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as the others in the series, but it is still a good read. I probably learned more than I cared to know about slaughter procedures at abattoirs, and I won't be ordering cheval any time soon. As usual, the descriptions of the Derbyshire countryside are engaging.
Sally Wragg
Jul 26, 2015 Sally Wragg rated it it was amazing
I was expecting to enjoy this book and wasn't disappointed. I love books set in and around Derbyshire and love Stephen Booth's Fry and Cooper detective series in particular. It did make me wonder however, that in crime books generally, I can read the body count with impunity but any cruelty towards animals makes me want to skip the page. One subject matter in the book was what can sometimes happen to unwanted horses, very well written but too sadly true, alas.
Priya
Jan 02, 2014 Priya rated it really liked it
I read this book at a totally leisurely pace and enjoyed every bit of it. The topics, though a little morbid-ish (horse-meat?), were intriguing; I found myself completely engrossed (like always) especially by Cooper's part of the investigation: the Cold War, the Black Plague, that overwhelming presence of history and folklore.
I don't think I've been involved in a series quite as deeply in a long, long time. I just can't get enough of these books!
Lynn
Sep 05, 2012 Lynn rated it really liked it
I'd never read a Booth before, but there it was on the shelf, so now I have a new best friend. Well-plotted and nicely drawn characters, and now I have to start from the first book in the series to find out how these characters developed. Usually in murder mysteries, when there are two murders, they're connected. These looked like they were, but ultimately.... Nice touch.
Jussi
Sep 06, 2011 Jussi rated it it was ok
I bought this book in Bakewell, and walked through the area of Derbyshire which it describes on the very next day. Good reading to accompany a walking tour! Local colour well sprinkled over entire novel. As a general purpose mystery is habitable: story well crafted, main characters in decently executed counterpoint.
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Kill Call by Stephen Booth 1 2 Feb 17, 2013 04:56AM
  • The Take (DI Joe Faraday, #2)
  • Blind Eye (Logan McRae, #5)
  • Midnight Fugue (Dalziel and Pascoe, #24)
  • De døde sjæles nat
  • The Neandertal Enigma: Solving the Mystery of Human Origins
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Stigninger og fald
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • The Recursive Mind: The Origins of Human Language, Thought, and Civilization
  • Lying Dead (DI Marjory Fleming #3)
  • Harnessed: How Language and Music Mimicked Nature and Transformed Ape to Man
  • The Silence (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #4)
  • What Should We Do with Our Brain? (Que faire de notre cerveau?)
  • After the Ice: Life, Death, and Geopolitics in the New Arctic
  • Doña Nicanora's Hat Shop
  • Computational Complexity: A Modern Approach
  • Tysteren (Anton Brekke #1)
  • Shadows of Sounds (DCI Lorimer #3)
A former newspaper journalist, British author Stephen Booth is the creator of two young Derbyshire police detectives, Ben Cooper and Diane Fry, who have appeared in 17 crime novels, all set in and around England's Peak District.

The Cooper & Fry series has won awards on both sides of the Atlantic, and Detective Constable Cooper has been a finalist for the Sherlock Award for the Best Detective
More about Stephen Booth...

Ben Cooper & Diane Fry (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1)
  • Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • Blood on the Tongue (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #3)
  • Blind To The Bones (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #4)
  • One Last Breath (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #5)
  • The Dead Place (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #6)
  • Scared to Live (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #7)
  • Dying to Sin (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #8)
  • Lost River (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #10)
  • The Devil's Edge (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #11)